The Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago - January 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Almost a year ago now we took a spur of the moment trip on the Empire Builder to see the winter scenery between Seattle and Chicago. Being from San Francisco, any time I get to see snow is novel, so it was quite the trip. I wrote it up on my blog with some pictures and video clips.

You can view the report here: https://parkerday.com/the-empire-builder-jan2018/

And before anyone says it - yes - we had thin crust pizza in Chicago. It was recommended to us by the people who live there!

Being from San Francisco, any time I get to see snow is novel, so it was quite the trip.
I am very jealous.  I spend a lot of money just so I can get away from the snow.

And before anyone says it - yes - we had thin crust pizza in Chicago. It was recommended to us by the people who live there!
Do not be ashamed.  I love Chicago, but deep dish pizza is a crime against humanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost a year ago now we took a spur of the moment trip on the Empire Builder to see the winter scenery between Seattle and Chicago. Being from San Francisco, any time I get to see snow is novel, so it was quite the trip. I wrote it up on my blog with some pictures and video clips.

You can view the report here: https://parkerday.com/the-empire-builder-jan2018/

Wonderful trip report and great photo's.  Thanks for posting it!

A great report, though I prefer the Builder during the Summer; I'll take 90 degrees over 1 degree any day.  I grew up in Chicago and love BOTH Chicago and New York style pizza.  And plain cheese; a pizza should be able to support itself without having to be loaded up with a bunch of add-ons to build up the flavor.

Many Chicagoans I know love thin crust. Since Chicago is known for deep dish, I think people assume that's all Chicago has.  ^_^

Out of curiosity, which bookstore did you visit? The only Wicker Park bookstore I'm familiar with is Myopic Books.

Your girlfriend is adorable. I really enjoyed the pictures, especially the one of her playing in the snow. It's obvious you two had a blast, despite (or maybe because of) the cold and snow.

On my way home to Florida each year from out west I take whatever train to Chicago and overnight there. I do it specifically to have a Chicago "thin crust" pizza from a place called Pizanos. So good.
We've been to the Pizanos on State St, but never had their thin crust. We'll have to do that. One of my favorite Chicago memories is grabbing a pizza from there and heading to Grant Park to see the Grant Park Music Festival. The pizza was still hot when we got there and we had a great evening. I'll be sure to try their thin crust sometime.

A great report, though I prefer the Builder during the Summer; I'll take 90 degrees over 1 degree any day.  I grew up in Chicago and love BOTH Chicago and New York style pizza.  And plain cheese; a pizza should be able to support itself without having to be loaded up with a bunch of add-ons to build up the flavor.
If I didn't grow up and live in a mild climate, I'd probably agree with you Re: Summer vs Winter. When I wasn't living in the bay area, I was living in the desert, so snow is always something I've only had to visit. I have to say Montana is beautiful any time of year.

Many Chicagoans I know love thin crust. Since Chicago is known for deep dish, I think people assume that's all Chicago has.  ^_^

Out of curiosity, which bookstore did you visit? The only Wicker Park bookstore I'm familiar with is Myopic Books.

Your girlfriend is adorable. I really enjoyed the pictures, especially the one of her playing in the snow. It's obvious you two had a blast, despite (or maybe because of) the cold and snow.
The bookstore is Quimby's on W North Ave. It's a great little store, but it is really small. The brewery we got pizza at was almost across the street, Piece. Chicago is always one of our favorite cities regardless of pizza and weather we get on each trip.  :D  

That was a quality trip report.  Thank you.  So long as it's freshly prepared with quality ingredients I can eat almost any kind of pizza (Chicago, New York, Detroit, Neapolitan, etc).  If there's a pizza that qualifies as a "crime against humanity" it probably comes from the likes of Dominoes, Pizza Hut, and/or Papa Johns.

Back