Jump to content
VentureForth

DART (Dallas Area) Grade Crossing Fatality

Recommended Posts

People are so catastrophically stupid. There's a reason the crossing arms are down. Is risking one's life really worth a minute or so in time savings? :help:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, cpotisch said:

People are so catastrophically stupid. There's a reason the crossing arms are down. Is risking one's life really worth a minute or so in time savings?

Humans are notoriously poor at accurately measuring the potential for reward and avoiding unnecessary risk.  This trait is distinct from intelligence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Devil's Advocate said:
1 hour ago, cpotisch said:

People are so catastrophically stupid. There's a reason the crossing arms are down. Is risking one's life really worth a minute or so in time savings?

Humans are notoriously poor at accurately measuring the potential for reward and avoiding unnecessary risk.  This trait is distinct from intelligence.

I understand that humans are notoriously bad at this, but I think that some are worse than others. A reasonably logical and intelligent adult probably won't literally drive around crossing arms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cpotisch said:

I understand that humans are notoriously bad at this, but I think that some are worse than others. A reasonably logical and intelligent adult probably won't literally drive around crossing arms.

It's easy to say everyone who does something stupid is a moron, but that's often not the case.  Humans of average intelligence don't buy lottery tickets because they're incapable of comprehending basic math; they buy them because the emotional high they feel from wishing for extreme wealth overwhelms their rational judgement.  Humans of average intelligence don't drink and drive because they think it's perfectly safe; they know it's dangerous but their compromised mental faculties convinces them it'll be okay just this one time.  Humans tend to view risk and reward through a blurry emotional lens that clouds their better judgement.  I consider myself to be an intelligent person, but I've done some extremely dangerous things over the years, often with little or no consideration for worst case or even moderate harm scenarios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whereas I generally agree with you, there were other factors that made this inherently stupid: though not a 4-gate crossing (unusual, I think, for a light rail crossing), there was a curb, albeit not high, at that crossing.  There was probably room to maneuver around between the curb and the gate.... But more than just carnal human ignorance, there is a very American (particularly Southern) cultural mentality.  To my original point, though, DART has been operating in the DFW area for 20 years, though this particular line is only about three years old or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×