Amtrak Employees & Government Shutdown

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahZ

Quality Control
Forgive me if this has been discussed already.

A good friend traveled on a long-distance train for the holidays. He's on his way home now and told me he tipped his car attendants $100 (one in each direction), as he feels bad they're working without pay during the government shutdown. He also tipped $20 at each meal.

Is it true that Amtrak employees are working for "free" right now? I've heard of furloughs, but not being forced to work without pay. I would assume that's illegal under various OSHA/Union contracts.

Is anyone willing to chime in? Please feel free to PM me if you want to maintain privacy. I promise this is just pure curiosity. I'm not a journalist or lawyer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak employees are employees of Amtrak, and not actual federal employees.  Thus, they're getting paid.  As I understand it, if the flow of subsidy money to Amtrak makes it such that they can't make payroll, they'll cancel trains and send people home rather than force them to work without pay.

I can't speak to Amtrak, but in earlier shutdowns, government attorneys had to continue to work without pay, with that back pay later provided once the shutdown was over.

It's outside the scope of this thread, but yes, actual federal employees declared "essential" are mandated to work through the shutdown and will receive pay once the funding comes through.  Those not deemed essential are permitted to come in for 4 hours to execute an "orderly shutdown" before being sent home without pay.  In all prior shutdowns, these employees have also received retroactive back pay for the time they were out of work, however Congress specifically has to authorize it as a part of the funding bill that reopens the government.  In my experience, the process of deciding who is "essential" can vary greatly from office to office.

A good friend traveled on a long-distance train for the holidays. He's on his way home now and told me he tipped his car attendants $100 (one in each direction), as he feels bad they're working without pay during the government shutdown. He also tipped $20 at each meal.
I hope the attendants didn't tell him that. They are not working for free.  A brief, "fair use quote from "What the government shutdown means for rail"  will help you in the future:

https://www.railwayage.com/freight/what-the-government-shutdown-means-for-rail/?RAchannel=regulatory

While Amtrak is federally owned, it is chartered as a corporation under District of Columbia law and not subject to a government shutdown. Its employees will continue to be paid. However, as Amtrak is dependent upon federal subsidies, a lengthy shutdown—an exact number of weeks or months is not known other than to senior Amtrak management—could imperil its flow of federal funds,  eventually causing a shutdown.

No, the employees didn't tell him. I think he just assumed.

He said he thanked the first car attendant for working during the shutdown and the guy was really grateful for the tip, but I don't think my friend specified that the extra tip was because my friend assumed the employees weren't getting paid. Since some people tip heavy during the holidays, maybe the car attendant just assumed my friend is generous (which is true). 

Thanks for the info. :)  I won't tell my friend. He's already pretty upset that his train is super-delayed into Chicago and he's going to have to arrange for alternate transportation back to Michigan. I figure the white-lie-by-omission is justified. I don't want to rub salt in his wound.

I think we should turn this into another tipping etiquette thread. How does "What do you tip employees during a government shutdown?" sound? :p

No, the employees didn't tell him. I think he just assumed.

He said he thanked the first car attendant for working during the shutdown and the guy was really grateful for the tip, but I don't think my friend specified that the extra tip was because my friend assumed the employees weren't getting paid. Since some people tip heavy during the holidays, maybe the car attendant just assumed my friend is generous (which is true). 

Thanks for the info. :)  I won't tell my friend. He's already pretty upset that his train is super-delayed into Chicago and he's going to have to arrange for alternate transportation back to Michigan. I figure the white-lie-by-omission is justified. I don't want to rub salt in his wound.
TBH, I'm a little disappointed in the crews taking advantage of your friend. I would tell your friend because, if it were me, I'd want to know ASAP, and I'd be a bit disappointed in a friend that did not tell me as soon as they knew.  Yeah, it might sting a little in the moment, but I'd be much more grateful to you, my friend, for telling me. :)

Where do you see that the crew took advantage?
1)   By accepting a tip much greater than the average amount one would receive, normally in that position/job and not questioning the tipper as to why...

2)   For not admitting to the tipper that they are being paid during the shut down, assuming they did know why the tipper was giving that amount...

1) I have never seen anyone ask why they were receiving a tip of a specific amount.

2) As already explained above, the passenger never told the employees why he was tipping them such an amount.

You literally quoted the post where they said that they weren't told the reasoning for the logic, and there was a decent chance that they simply assumed that the larger-than-usual tip was because of the holidays, which is a thing that some people do.

Perhaps read and comprehend before making accusations. 

You literally quoted the post where they said that they weren't told the reasoning for the logic, and there was a decent chance that they simply assumed that the larger-than-usual tip was because of the holidays, which is a thing that some people do.
$100?   Do some people give that much regularly to a SCA?   A SCA they're more likely not to know unless they were a "frequent flyer?"  That's awfully generous... well beyond my means, for sure.  If I were that SCA, I'd question it.  I would not "assume."   And I'd be disappointed in any SCA that didn't question it.

If you read closely, I described the tip as “larger-than-usual”.
And that's precisely why I'd question it....  because it was "larger than usual..."  and why I'd be disappointed in a SCA that doesn't....  

And if you would read Sarah’s and my very next words, a logical explanation for such a tip is the holiday season. 

You can be as disappointed as you want, but the crew acted in a way that is logical and reasonable to those that possess logic and reason. 

And if you would read Sarah’s and my very next words, a logical explanation for such a tip is the holiday season. 

You can be as disappointed as you want, but the crew acted in a way that is logical and reasonable to those that possess logic and reason. 
And, if you would read my reply, I stated earlier that $100 is well beyond my means for a SCA with whom I had never ridden previously.  Even if I was a "frequent flyer" with that SCA and knew them very well, it would be a bit steep for me. And certainly in re: a holiday tip..  You might believe the crew acted properly, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

And that's precisely why I'd question it....  because it was "larger than usual..."  and why I'd be disappointed in a SCA that doesn't....  
Well, the hijack is officially on! So, enlighten us. At what point do you think it is up to the tippee to question the tipper? What is the mythical threshold? How much is too much to be considered generous vs crossing the line into taking advantage of someone?

I’m also not a follower of the tipping threads so I don’t know what usual is.  I would think the length of the trip would have an impact. Yet, SarahZ didn’t tell us if this was a cross  country trip or a quick jaunt on a long distance train.

Without that tidbit of information, I’m not sure how you can determine what is too much.

Well, the hijack is officially on! So, enlighten us.
Forgive me. I did not mean to hijack. But I will always defend myself when I feel it necessary.

At what point do you think it is up to the tippee to question the tipper? What is the mythical threshold? How much is too much to be considered generous and crossing the line into taking advantage of someone?
When the amount seems much "larger than usual."    Now, maybe I'm not up to speed on what is "usual" for an SCA to receive. I had "usually" tipped my SCA's $10.00 per one way trip on the Auto Train.  And that's pretty much for doing nothing, except letting me fend for myself, which is what I preferred.  Just drop me some linens and let me make my own bed up when I need it done. And, for the most part,  the SCA's did just that.  This, as opposed to "enforcing policy" and insisting that they make up / take down the bedding.  So, $100.00 for a single, one way tip is way "larger than usual" for me and would cause me to question it, etc. etc.

Enlightened?

All of this talk reminds me of why I wish that we lived in a non-tipping society.  Trust me, the service in Japan is great even with no tipping.  Pay someone a fair wage and hold them to reasonable standards.  

Enlightened?
Almost. I’d say the Auto Train is different than a 2 day trip on the Zephyr, for instance.  I think that could be a reason to tip differently on such a trip?

Ps: I’m the one hijacking the thread and there is no need to defend yourself. I think we’re just interested in your perspective.  After all, tipping is in the eye of the beholder. It is an art, not a science.

The point is your standards are irrelevant, what matters is what is usual and customary for a SCA.  

After being told several times that the tip doesn't rise to the level of something that an SCA should be expected to question, you persist in "defending yourself" against the forces of logic and reason, rather than just simply learn something and carry on with your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back