Guest RoometteWithAView

Silver Meteor Car 9811 Room 3

I’ve been in roomette 2 and 3 ( presently in 9) and all are fine. The call button will summon the attendant so it doesn’t matter how close their located.

16 hours ago, cpotisch said:

Years ago, the sleepers on the Silvers were at the front (but behind the baggage car), and to be honest I preferred it that way, as it just looked nicer and meant that there was a rail fan window at the rear of the coaches. 

I much prefer having the sleepers at the rear of the train.  If I am paying extra for a comfortable way to sleep I want to be as far away from the locomotive's horn as possible.  

Edited by VTTrain

On 12/31/2018 at 8:43 AM, VTTrain said:
On 12/30/2018 at 4:33 PM, cpotisch said:

Years ago, the sleepers on the Silvers were at the front (but behind the baggage car), and to be honest I preferred it that way, as it just looked nicer and meant that there was a rail fan window at the rear of the coaches. 

I much prefer having the sleepers at the rear of the train.  If I am paying extra for a comfortable way to sleep I want to be as far away from the locomotive's horn as possible.  

True, but the Meteor has three sleepers and the baggage car, so IMHO, you could still be plenty far from the horn with the sleepers up front. And to be honest I actually like the faint sound of the horn, so being a decent distance from it, yet not totally out of ear-shot, is definitely my cup of tea. I’m on the Meteor now (car 9810), and I really haven’t been able to hear the horn at all so far. It’s not even quiet, it’s just totally too far away. :(

20 minutes ago, cpotisch said:

True, but the Meteor has three sleepers and the baggage car, so IMHO, you could still be plenty far from the horn with the sleepers up front. 

To each their own.  I’d rather not gamble.  

On 1/1/2019 at 11:18 AM, cpotisch said:

True, but the Meteor has three sleepers and the baggage car, so IMHO, you could still be plenty far from the horn with the sleepers up front. And to be honest I actually like the faint sound of the horn, so being a decent distance from it, yet not totally out of ear-shot, is definitely my cup of tea. I’m on the Meteor now (car 9810), and I really haven’t been able to hear the horn at all so far. It’s not even quiet, it’s just totally too far away. :(

I agree with you. Grew up next to the tracks and loved the trains. I just don't notice the horn that much no matter what sleeper i'm in. And I carry ear plugs just in case but have only really used them for neighbor type noise.

11 hours ago, Sauve850 said:

I agree with you. Grew up next to the tracks and loved the trains. I just don't notice the horn that much no matter what sleeper i'm in. And I carry ear plugs just in case but have only really used them for neighbor type noise.

As a business traveler who has decided to try Amtrak in lieu of flying, I’d rather be away from the horn.

It’s quite likely that the majority of sleeper car passengers believe that being farther away from the horn is conducive to a better night’s sleep.  

Possibly most wish to be away from horn. No matter where you are on the train even if you don't hear the horn you may hear ding, ding, ding, as you pass a road with crossing gate. I have traveled so much Im sure i just got used to it.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.