Sunset Limited canceled (2/25/19)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rincewind

Train Attendant
Hello,

I just got an email from Amtrak, that the #1 from New Orleans to LA on February, 25th has been canceled.  :eek:

Before I call Amtrak, what are my options? This trip is part of a cross country trip from New York to LA with the Crescent and the Sunset Limited with a couple of days in New Orleans. Due to the simple fact, that the trains only runs three times per week, it really messes up with my schedule. I booked two separate coach tickets - Saver fare, one for the Crescent and one for the Sunset Limited. 

What will and can Amtrak do - besides a refund? Is it possible to switch to the City of New Orleans and Southwest Chief? I already did the SC and was looking forward to the SL. Is it possible, to reschedule both tickets?   

Does anyone knows the reason? Track works or something else? Is it likely, that other dates will be affected, too? 

Track work has “probably” just been announced....and lots of it. An advisory will hopefully come out soon. 

They should switch you as space allows and I would remind them that the fare structure (not necessarily the fare)should be honored.

A few years ago, when I was booked--far in advance, for a long trip like yours--on a Crescent that was cancelled a few weeks in advance, Amtrak switched me to an alternative route. It was longer, and would have been more expensive, but Amtrak didn't charge me anything for the change (no fare increase, no penalty). YMMV, but a switch to CONO and SWC would be comparable to what they did for me.

Received the same news. TR 422 in my case.  Actually, its departure time out of LA was moved 'up' to 7 p something.  Had scheduled Coast Starlight with 10 p LA TOA.  Past performance suggested it was reasonable to allow for a 1 hr layover and reservation agent agreed.  Customer Service's solution to the matter now at hand was for me to stay in LA on my nickel, by implication until the next time 422 left LA.  (not even the next day.)  Or take a completely different return route that would have greatly abbreviated my trip and would have entailed yet another trip on the same train.  I cancelled the entire trip of several legs and now have over $3100 back in hand that had been in Amtrak's pockets.  (Those bedrooms aren't cheap.)  Been rather frequent long-distant Amtrak customer in last several years.   Beginning to be increasingly less sympathetic to Amtrak's challenges.  

On my recent trip on the sunset, the crew heard rumors that the train would be out for two months for major UP track work.

YMMV, but a switch to CONO and SWC would be comparable to what they did for me.
This would be great, because otherwise my four days NOLA trip would be just two days. So it would be three days and an additional coach night...  :huh:

I think I have to flip a coin. What is the more interesting scenery? CONO and SWC or SL?  

Did the SWC three years ago and missed some of the scenery around Albuquerque because we did run five hours late due to a fire in one of the sleepers.  

Thanks to everyone. 

Received the same news. TR 422 in my case.  Actually, its departure time out of LA was moved 'up' to 7 p something.  Had scheduled Coast Starlight with 10 p LA TOA.  Past performance suggested it was reasonable to allow for a 1 hr layover and reservation agent agreed.  Customer Service's solution to the matter now at hand was for me to stay in LA on my nickel, by implication until the next time 422 left LA.  (not even the next day.)  Or take a completely different return route that would have greatly abbreviated my trip and would have entailed yet another trip on the same train.  I cancelled the entire trip of several legs and now have over $3100 back in hand that had been in Amtrak's pockets.  (Those bedrooms aren't cheap.)  Been rather frequent long-distant Amtrak customer in last several years.   Beginning to be increasingly less sympathetic to Amtrak's challenges.  
I posted this in another thread, but here is the full list of every effected Eagle runs, and it is a biggie. BTW, all Sunset Limited runs during that period are affected in the same way as the respective TEs it is paired with (so either cancelled, arriving LAX 8:40 AM, or departing LAX 7:26 PM).

Here is the (quite long) list I have compiled of every Texas Eagle run affected, which turns out to be from January 18th to March 8th.

During the affected period, an Eagle (#421) departing Chicago on a Friday or Tuesday, do so at the standard 1:45 PM, but arrive into Los Angeles at 8:40 AM, instead of 5:35. All trains departing on a Sunday are cancelled.

- 421(1/15) - Normal

- 421(1/18) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(1/20) - Cancelled

- 421(1/22) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM 

- 421(1/25) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(1/27) - Cancelled

- 421(1/29) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(2/1) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(2/3) - Cancelled

- 421(2/5) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(2/8) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(2/10) - Cancelled

- 421(2/12) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(2/15) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(2/17) - Cancelled

- 421(2/19) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(2/22) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(2/24) - Cancelled

- 421(2/26) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(3/1) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(3/3) - Cancelled

- 421(3/5) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(3/8) - Arrives LAX 8:40 AM

- 421(3/10) - Back to normal

Meanwhile on the eastbound (#422), Friday and Wednesday departures leave LAX at 7:26 PM instead of 10:00, but are scheduled to arrive in Chicago at the standard 1:52 PM. As with the westbound, Sunday departures during the affected period are cancelled.

- 422(1/16) - Normal

- 422(1/18) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(1/20) - Cancelled

- 422(1/23) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(1/25) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(1/27) - Cancelled

- 422(1/30) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(2/1) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(2/3) - Cancelled

- 422(2/6) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(2/8) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(2/10) - Cancelled

- 422(2/13) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(2/15) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(2/17) - Cancelled

- 422(2/20) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(2/22) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(2/24) - Cancelled

- 422(2/27) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(3/1) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(3/3) - Cancelled

- 422(3/6) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(3/8) - Leaves LAX 7:26 PM

- 422(3/10) - Back to normal

I think I have to flip a coin. What is the more interesting scenery? CONO and SWC or SL?  
I have only been on the Sunset from Pomona (the second stop after LAX) to San Antonio, but for that portion, it was pretty beautiful. You see all these desserts, tiny shanty towns out in the middle of nowhere, rock formations, and even a few small mountains. And the route even runs within like 50 feet of Mexico for a decent stretch as well, which is very cool. Leading up to the trip, I was really expecting the scenery to be lacking, but I was VERY pleasantly surprised.

Now unfortunately I have not ridden the CONO or SWC, so I can't speak from personal experience here, but from what I've heard, and from the pictures and YouTube videos I've seen, the CONO scenery really is pretty blah, and for the most part the Chief's isn't that special either. Raton Pass and the run through New Mexico and Arizona are supposedly the real highlight, with some cool desserts and mountainous terrain and such, but the route as a whole just doesn't seem to be particularly spectacular.

So, especially considering you've already taken the Chief, I would recommend you take the Sunset if possible.

A few years ago, when I was booked--far in advance, for a long trip like yours--on a Crescent that was cancelled a few weeks in advance, Amtrak switched me to an alternative route. It was longer, and would have been more expensive, but Amtrak didn't charge me anything for the change (no fare increase, no penalty). YMMV, but a switch to CONO and SWC would be comparable to what they did for me.
Nope, I called and they want to charge extra for the additional train. I'm less than impressed. I booked the ticket back in August as a saver fare, they canceled it now and want to charge extra for the most reasonable alternative transportation which would not completely mess up the original schedule. :angry:     

Nope, I called and they want to charge extra for the additional train. I'm less than impressed. I booked the ticket back in August as a saver fare, they canceled it now and want to charge extra for the most reasonable alternative transportation which would not completely mess up the original schedule. :angry:     
Call them again and ask for a supervisor....preferably someone in Philadelphia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call them again and ask for a supervisor....preferably someone in Philadelphia.
Thanks. A already wrote them a message on Twitter with all details. They changed it immediately - at no additional charge.   ^_^  A shout out-to the Amtrak Social Media Team. 

Back