Article-35 questions for Stephen Gardner. Care to answer them?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
I'm sure a lot of you will get a kick out of this, (Neroden, Anderson and Jis  in particular) and he does raise some interesting questions. Categories include Finance,  Operations, Food and Beverage, Human Resources and the CEO.  Given the tone, I doubt a response is in the works because it seems like it is an attack.  Nevertheless, in the absence of dialogue, people are being allowed to draw their own conclusions and this is what happens when you allow others to direct the conversation.  You get hard questions!

At any rate, pick your favorite question and discuss!

35 questions for Stephen Gardner. Care to answer them?

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/35-questions-for-stephen-gardner-care-to-answer-them/

Here is a brief fair use quote to set the tone and to rile Seaboard 92 because I know he's such a fan:

To facilitate digesting my concerns and the failure by Amtrak to properly address them, I have broken these issues down by categories that ideally a hands-on Board would certainly have included in its agenda to hold a senior operations officer accountable, including:

PREFACE (to set the table)

1) In respect to Gardner’s participation as a congressional staffer in designing the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2008 (PRIIA), can he explain who in Congress triggered this legislation, why, and for what reason(s)? Or, was it prompted, if not even prepared, by Amtrak?

2) When did Gardner secure his executive position at Amtrak? While drafting PRIIA? If not, how soon after the legislation passed?

3) Was Congress ever informed by Amtrak of its intention to create a full cost allocation methodology that was non-GAAP (Generally Acceptable Accounting Principles), with the clear purpose of diverting those excess funds to subsidize the Northeast Corridor(NEC)?
Number 2 has always fascinated me. Fox in the hen house?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't have used the word "non-GAAP", because there is no generally accepted accounting principle for "cost allocation".  I would have said "blatantly unsound accounting accounting malpractice, as documented in RPA's recent white paper"

I think that list has a few good questions, a lot of unsubstantiated opinions that Singer has been peddling for a while and many “have you stopped beating your wife lately” category of questions. I doubt anyone will seriously try to answer anything as a result, and the list will mostly be used as evidence that wife is still being beaten. [emoji849]

I'm not even sure if the some of the questioned posed to him are his area of responsibility/accountability.

Back