1-2-3 Free Promotion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
MODERATOR NOTE:  this discussion was split off from the Solari Board discussion in the Amtrak Discussion forum.

Someone in Amtrak's marketing department came up with a GIF representation of a Solari board for their latest email. How's that for irony?

677850e2-3348-43bb-9539-98fd4ad4dccb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What deal is that?
Code:
Just one click registers you to start earning free summer travel

Participate in our 1-2-3 FREE promotion in three easy steps:

1.Register for Acela®, Northeast RegionalSM or both promotions

2.Take three qualifying roundtrips on Acela between January 2 and February 28 or take three qualifying roundtrips on Northeast Regional in the same time period

3.Enjoy a free roundtrip between July 2 and August 29

It's as easy as 1-2-3 FREE.

What deal is that?
Just one click registers you to start earning free summer travel

Participate in our 1-2-3 FREE promotion in three easy steps:

1.Register for Acela®, Northeast RegionalSM or both promotions

2.Take three qualifying roundtrips on Acela between January 2 and February 28 or take three qualifying roundtrips on Northeast Regional in the same time period

3.Enjoy a free roundtrip between July 2 and August 29

It's as easy as 1-2-3 FREE.

That being sent to everybody on their mailing list, or just certain people?

I got it and registered for both but most likely won't even take 1 round trip till just after the promo (my next visit to Baltimore is 3/4/19).

So, at the risk of splitting a hair, are the coupons going to be good for two one-way trips (whether or not linked, on the same trip, etc.) or one round-trip (due to linking)?  If it's the former, I might actually go for the Acela side this year (since that would functionally let me cover a one-way with a friend).  If it's the latter, the proposition gets touchier since I'm rarely inclined to do both directions on the Acela on a trip.

The Regional side is probably useless for me...all else being equal, my Meteor bias mucks up the utility of that.

So, at the risk of splitting a hair, are the coupons going to be good for two one-way trips (whether or not linked, on the same trip, etc.) or one round-trip (due to linking)?  If it's the former, I might actually go for the Acela side this year (since that would functionally let me cover a one-way with a friend).  If it's the latter, the proposition gets touchier since I'm rarely inclined to do both directions on the Acela on a trip.

The Regional side is probably useless for me...all else being equal, my Meteor bias mucks up the utility of that.
In the past I've been able to use them for individual trips, in the same way you can earn them via individual trips, despite the way the language is written.

Here are the terms and conditions for the promo, and I’ve put the really problematic (for me) part in bold. Before I saw that, I was thinking that perhaps my parents and I could take the NER or Acela to/from Boston or D.C. in February, but apparently not. :(

Acela deal:

Take six qualifying one-way trips on Acela from January 2, 2019 12:00:00am CST through February 28, 2019 11:59:59pm CST and get two coupons valid for free one-way Acela trips. Minimum spend of $89 per one-way segment is required for travel to qualify. Limit of two qualifying one-way segments per day and one qualifying segment per train number per day. Free trip coupons are redeemable for Acela Business class travel from July 2, 2019 through August 29, 2019. A maximum of four coupons may be earned. Must be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member and register for this offer to participate. Members who have Select Executive status from January 2, 2019 12:00:00am CST through February 28, 2019 11:59:59pm CST will earn coupons redeemable for First class travel. Register online at AmtrakGuestRewards.com/Acela. Other terms and conditions may apply. Acela is a registered service mark of the National Railroad Passenger Corporation.
NER deal:

Take six qualifying one-way trips on Northeast Regional from January 2, 2019 12:00:00am CST through February 28, 2019 11:59:59pm CST and get two coupons valid for free one-way Northeast Regional trips. Minimum spend of $49 per one-way segment is required for travel to qualify. Limit of two qualifying one-way segments per day and one qualifying segment per train number per day. Travel with a monthly pass or using multi-ride tickets does not qualify for this promotion. Free trip coupons are redeemable for Northeast Regional Coach class travel from July 2, 2019 through August 29, 2019. A maximum of four coupons may be earned. Must be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member and register for this offer to participate. Members who have Select Executive status from January 2, 2019 12:00:00am CST through February 28, 2019 11:59:59pm CST will earn coupons redeemable for Business class travel. Register online at AmtrakGuestRewards.com/NER.

What you can do is go NYP-BOS on Saturday, BOS-NYP on Saturday, (2 one way trips), NYP-WAS on Sunday, WAS-NYP on Sunday, (2 more only way trips), then the following weekend do NYP-BOS and BOS-NYP (2 more one way trips)!

What you can do is go NYP-BOS on Saturday, BOS-NYP on Saturday, (2 one way trips), NYP-WAS on Sunday, WAS-NYP on Sunday, (2 more only way trips), then the following weekend do NYP-BOS and BOS-NYP (2 more one way trips)!
Yes, but that doesn’t really help someone who was planning on taking a (three person) family trip together and getting the free rides that way. :(

Yes, but that doesn’t really help someone who was planning on taking a (three person) family trip together and getting the free rides that way. :(
That wouldn't have worked ever since that schmuck cashed in 100 PHL-PAO tickets on a single ride and bragged about it on FlyerTalk about a decade ago.  One ticket per train number has been standard for a long time.

Not to mention that your wife and child would have different AGR numbers, neh?

Back