San Joaquin: which trains have the comet cars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Comet Cars generally run southbound towards Bakersfield on Trains 710 and 716 and northbound towards Oakland on Trains 711 and 717. With that said there isn’t a 100% assurance they will be on those trains due to unforeseen equipment issues or delays. It is possible they swap a California set to run on those runs and use the Comet set to replace it on a California Car run. I’d say at least 95% of the time the Comet Cars stick to those trains though.

From personal experience, I have taken 712 southbound from the Bay Area and 715 northbound to attend meetings in Fresno about four times in the past few months and have always had California Cars. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am considering a round trip from jack London square to Fresno as a one day round trip.  I would only do this if was assured of riding California cars.   

Thank you.  

The Comet Cars generally run southbound towards Bakersfield on Trains 710 and 716 and northbound towards Oakland on Trains 711 and 717. With that said there isn’t a 100% assurance they will be on those trains due to unforeseen equipment issues or delays. It is possible they swap a California set to run on those runs and use the Comet set to replace it on a California Car run. I’d say at least 95% of the time the Comet Cars stick to those trains though.

From personal experience, I have taken 712 southbound from the Bay Area and 715 northbound to attend meetings in Fresno about four times in the past few months and have always had California Cars. Hope you enjoy your trip!
Just a comment in general here, and a plug for AU.....

These are perhaps the very best type of posts you can find on this forum.   A member seeking a type of specific information, that could not readily be found anywhere else, and getting a good and detailed answer.....

:hi:

Back