Metra Highliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuppb001

Train Attendant
Physically not mechanically how worn out were the Metra Highliners?  I know they lacked restrooms but could they have been viable candidates for trailer conversion with HEP?  I know commuter railroads in the past like SEPTA converted old power cars to trailers like Amtrak did with the metro liners. With Metra having a shortage of good working equipment, could with the right kind of rehab been viable instead of scrap or surplus sales?  This also leads me to another question about Metra for those in the know. With Metra's power crunch was it considered or could it have been a premature decision to retire the F40Cs?  Rebuilding of SD-40 based locomotives is available from just about every locomotive shop in the US.

Well one issue with the hiliners is the fact they only have one smaller door with a trap for a railroad for diesel operation that is exclusively low level platforms.

As someone who rode them every weekday until replaced, I can tell you that they were in bad condition - very sad in fact. Lots of rust and bondo (appeared to be anyways) on the body sides. While they were more comfortable - and had some more thoughtful design elements - than the new cars - they were past their crush by date by a decade.

Back