CHI-WAS-ORL (what happens if missed connection in WAS?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Freak

Engineer
If I have a reservation with a CL connection to the SS to ORL & miss the connection in WAS, they'll offer me a connection on the SM, if available. If I have a sleeper reservation will I get Dinner & Breakfast included @ no additional charge?

I believe the answer is yes based on what happened on one of my recent trips.  I was traveling on 97 and apparently 30 was late enough where transferring passengers missed their connection to 91.  Fortunately for them, there was room on 97.  I do not believe they were charged for their meals.

I believe the answer is yes based on what happened on one of my recent trips.  I was traveling on 97 and apparently 30 was late enough where transferring passengers missed their connection to 91.  Fortunately for them, there was room on 97.  I do not believe they were charged for their meals.
Thank Ya Mam!!!

I have not looked at that sked in a while but I though 30 to 91 was not a valid connection.  The 30 to 97 gives a nice few hours to explore the area around the station and relax in the Lounge.

Considering the surprisingly low rates for roomettes on the Meteor during the month of January, just today I booked one RT a month from now, so I can ride the new Brightline trains.  As of Feb 1, the prices go up dramatically according to Amsnag.  I got roomette #4 both ways with 3 sleepers (car 9712 going, 9810 returning), so there's lots of available space.

And, for what it's worth, at least after 1/6, the price spread between the Star and the Meteor is $12.00!!!  If you're booked from 1/6-1/31, I'd call and modify my reservation and take the Meteor.  That way, you won't have to fret about a 2 hour connection (these days, I consider 3 hrs 'tight', especially in Chicago), and can spend the extra layover time exploring Washington DC, by joy riding WMATA, as I've done multiple times making the same connection both ways years ago.  If you're not booked in that upcoming price 'sweet spot', I'd still check prices for the Meteor and if the spread isn't too much from what you paid, consider making the switch now.

As far as moving you to a roomette on the Meteor if you miss the Star, that would be the most likely choice they'd provide.  And as you know, the meals are free for sleeper passengers on the Meteor.  It also pays to know the floor plan at WAS and to be one of the first off the train (fortunately, sleepers are in front, ie, closest to the building) and make a beeline for the Amtrak Customer Service desk  (it's in the middle corridor to the 'big hall', if memory serves).  Being first in their line of misconnects might just yield you the one and only last available roomette on the Meteor. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back