Acela Assigned Seating Experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderson

Engineer
I'm booked in Acela First WAS-BAL (end-of-year Status Runs are always fun) at 1300 (so, in about 29 minutes).  Presently, I'm showing the following seats available:
-3A
-5C (mine)
-13D
-13F
-16F

1A/2A (handicapped) also show.

My first thought is "this can't be right".  I know today is a busy travel day, but based on about a decade of intermittent experience I'm kind-of shocked at the idea of Acela having that load in F on a Saturday (especially since it's a blackout day IIRC).  Let's see what shows up when I'm on board.

I'm booked in Acela First WAS-BAL (end-of-year Status Runs are always fun) at 1300 (so, in about 29 minutes).  Presently, I'm showing the following seats available:
-3A
-5C (mine)
-13D
-13F
-16F

1A/2A (handicapped) also show.

My first thought is "this can't be right".  I know today is a busy travel day, but based on about a decade of intermittent experience I'm kind-of shocked at the idea of Acela having that load in F on a Saturday (especially since it's a blackout day IIRC).  Let's see what shows up when I'm on board.
Probably those that can are already gone from the Corrodor, and the Buckets are Ultra-High for the Holiday Mad House!

Notes tracking this:
-Personal note: There's a good chance this was an unnecessary "bump up" presuming my planned trip on the 26th happens.
-The train is busier than I expected.
-The staff having to "nag" everyone on "We have assigned seating" was annoying (though so was the conductor dogpiling with a reminder that this was the First Class car).  There was also a bit more "announcing" than was probably necessary.

-1A is the disabled seat, 2A is the wheelchair "seat".  Today, 2A is a glorified luggage rack.  1A is open.  One fun "benefit" of the assigned seating thing is that it likely lets the staff know when they can use the wheelchaire slot as luggage space.

-My "seatmate" is actually sitting in 1F (he plopped down there).  He's only going to BWI, which would have been ironic if he'd sat in his proper seat since part of the reason I went for an aisle was so I wouldn't have to bother anyone with getting up.
-Setting this aside, 3A has someone sitting in it (showed as open at booking half an hour ago).  4A/4C are unoccupied as of departure.  So is 6F.  4A, 4C, and 6F all showed as occupied at booking and are open.  We'll see what happens at BWI...

Edit:

Departure updates!
-3A is occupied by one half of a married couple who couldn't find a seat together.  I couldn't hear if both of them were in the wrong seat or just one of them.
-6F is now occupied by the guy who was in 5F.  Misread ticket, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
The train was 2254.

The seats actually mostly filled up at BWI (with the exceptions of 1A and, oddly enough, 1F...which was errantly occupied WAS-BWI and then vacant BWI-BAL).

I'll admit that I'm a little annoyed that I was unable to select 1A, but I think there may have been some more shuffling that happened.

The silliness surrounding the seat assignments (which I still hold out as an inane idea) was offset by the fact that the FC attendant actually got me a fruit/cheese plate that I was able to consume before BAL (sans the dessert cup, which while I know would have been good was also just a bit much in the situation), though getting the Bailey's and Coffee as a cup of coffee and a glass of Bailey's and having to mix it was a bit odd.  Kudos to the OBS for ensuring that I could get my money's worth.

Several thoughts:
(1) The inability to view a seating chart before booking is a real turkey if you're hoping to get work done with one or more colleagues on a trip.
(2) Absent seat assignments, what probably would have happened in that setup is that I would have gone to 1F, the guy who was in 1F would have gone to 6F, and I wouldn't have wound up entangled with the family that had the other three seats at the table BWI-NYP (they had initially booked the whole table but one member had dropped out...we had a bit of a laugh at the situation).

We'll see how things go on X-mas (I'm on the 0850 to New York) and the day after.

I'm curious about the economics of a status run, especially with what I presume to be an expensive ticket. I'd like to get to SP, but getting the next 5,000 TQPs from Select would be tough. Are there any bonus opportunities?

This may be better for the AGR forum.

If I am paying the first class Acela fare, I expect to be able to select my seat.  That said, I want to be able to select it prior to actually paying for the ticket - just like the airlines allow.

Airlines will not guarantee your selected seat until it is paid for. If someone else pays for a seat before your transaction is completed, you lose it. you do get to see what is available up to a point. For many reasons, you may also be unable to pre select, and be assigned a seat at the gate.

Airlines will not guarantee your selected seat until it is paid for. If someone else pays for a seat before your transaction is completed, you lose it. you do get to see what is available up to a point. For many reasons, you may also be unable to pre select, and be assigned a seat at the gate.
Airlines never "guarantee" your selected seat. A seat assignment is subject to change at any point. Having said that, in several hundred flights I can count on one hand the number of times I have lost am assigned seat. Also rare is to look at the seat map prior to purchase and then not get the desired seat when the booking is finalized.  While not 100%, viewing the seat map, seeing a desirable seat, booking that seat and finally having that seat on the flight seems to work pretty well  Not even being able to see the available seats until to finalize the booking and pay is better than nothing, but kind of backwards.

Airlines never "guarantee" your selected seat. A seat assignment is subject to change at any point. Having said that, in several hundred flights I can count on one hand the number of times I have lost am assigned seat. Also rare is to look at the seat map prior to purchase and then not get the desired seat when the booking is finalized.  While not 100%, viewing the seat map, seeing a desirable seat, booking that seat and finally having that seat on the flight seems to work pretty well  Not even being able to see the available seats until to finalize the booking and pay is better than nothing, but kind of backwards.
Exactly.   The system works quite well.  It certainly works better than what Amtrak is currently doing.  As a newbie to this forum, it seems like sometimes people make arguments just to be contrarian.   

Exactly.   The system works quite well.  It certainly works better than what Amtrak is currently doing.  As a newbie to this forum, it seems like sometimes people make arguments just to be contrarian.   
As a newbie to the forum, perhaps you should read the previous threads regarding seat selection to understand what they are talking about because as previously discussed multiple times, planes, movie theaters etc don't typically don't have en route additions.

This is probably the system they allowed to provide for  through ridership, something that airlines (that seemingly overbook flights and boot/accommodate) don't have to deal with. 

As a newbie to the forum, perhaps you should read the previous threads regarding seat selection to understand what they are talking about because as previously discussed multiple times, planes, movie theaters etc don't typically don't have en route additions.

This is probably the system they allowed to provide for  through ridership, something that airlines (that seemingly overbook flights and boot/accommodate) don't have to deal with. 
What does any of that have to do with allowing you to select your seat prior to payment rather than after payment?

But, ah... thanks for the welcome.  I guess.  

What does any of that have to do with allowing you to select your seat prior to payment rather than after payment?
It took some time and I was digging in the (many) seat assignment threads. The working theory was found in the thread regarding sleepers. which has similar questions.  We can start from this post from Anderson and follow the progression to the Acela first class car.

Personally, I think assigned seating is not a good idea but the passengers allegedly want this and in some ways, it will help families along the route.

But, ah... thanks for the welcome.  I guess.  
61Mu72ZF5VL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

It took some time and I was digging in the (many) seat assignment threads. The working theory was found in the thread regarding sleepers. which has similar questions.  We can start from this post from Anderson and follow the progression to the Acela first class car.

Personally, I think assigned seating is not a good idea but the passengers allegedly want this and in some ways, it will help families along the route.
Ah, you mentioned “threads” in the plural.  I read that single thread before.  There is just one, unresponded to, comment within the thread about the need to only allow a customer to choose a seat after they make a purchase.  

Specifically, this comment:

”With the above scenario in mind, that's "probably" why you can't pick your seat assignment on the Acela until after you've purchased your ticket.  :ph34r:    It "probably" looks at your travel points, look at the rest of the system and gives you the choice of seats that are partially reserved.   This would keep a number of through seats.

So, it may not be the "pick your own seat" choice that people think it is.”

There are two issues with this: (1) there is no evidence that Amtrak is doing this; and (2) there is no evidence that Amtrak can’t do this when loading a seat map prior to purchase rather than 20 seconds later after the purchase.

Weak sauce, for sure.  

I'm sure if I continued to dig around the 40 or so threads over the years related to this, I willing to bet we could find more evidence. I just grabbed the latest thread that was fresh in my mind since time is limited. If you wish to indulge, I'm sure you could too!

Addressing your immediate concerns,

Ah, you mentioned “threads” in the plural.  I read that single thread before.  There is just one, unresponded to, comment within the thread about the need to only allow a customer to choose a seat after they make a purchase.  

Specifically, this comment:

”With the above scenario in mind, that's "probably" why you can't pick your seat assignment on the Acela until after you've purchased your ticket.  :ph34r:    It "probably" looks at your travel points, look at the rest of the system and gives you the choice of seats that are partially reserved.   This would keep a number of through seats.

So, it may not be the "pick your own seat" choice that people think it is.”

There are two issues with this: (1) there is no evidence that Amtrak is doing this; and (2) there is no evidence that Amtrak can’t do this when loading a seat map prior to purchase rather than 20 seconds later after the purchase.

Weak sauce, for sure.  
Actually, I saw a response but as indicated, by this thread, the other room threads, pricing threads and the seating threads, there is no direct evidence of what Amtrak can or can't do unless we can get the programmers to post on this board (which I seriously doubt t will occur). Other than that ,all we can really do (other glean information from people that "probably" have insider information) , is speculate as to why something is or isn't being done.

I'm sure if I continued to dig around the 40 or so threads over the years related to this, I willing to bet we could find more evidence. I just grabbed the latest thread that was fresh in my mind since time is limited. If you wish to indulge, I'm sure you could too!

Addressing your immediate concerns,

Actually, I saw a response but as indicated, by this thread, the other room threads, pricing threads and the seating threads, there is no direct evidence of what Amtrak can or can't do unless we can get the programmers to post on this board (which I seriously doubt t will occur). Other than that ,all we can really do (other glean information from people that "probably" have insider information) , is speculate as to why something is or isn't being done.
Your latest comment is different than your original response to me, which was:

This is probably the system they allowed to provide for  through ridership, something that airlines (that seemingly overbook flights and boot/accommodate) don't have to deal with.”  

You went very quickly from suggesting an answer to conceding that you have no idea what the answer may be.

That said, airlines do have to deal with this.  Take the United Airlines Island Hopper, for example.  Not every flight is point to point and nothing more.  

One way or the other, I haven’t seen any compelling evidence as to why Amtrak can’t allow seat selection prior to finalizing the purchase.  The reasons given are at best weak.  They have much more to do with whether or not Amtrak should assign seats (they should) rather than explaining why they must wait 20 seconds for a purchase prior to doing so.

Trust me, if Trenitalia figured this out years ago, Amtrak can too.

One way or the other, I haven’t seen any compelling evidence as to why Amtrak can’t allow seat selection prior to finalizing the purchase.  The reasons given are at best weak.  They have much more to do with whether or not Amtrak should assign seats (they should) rather than explaining why they must wait 20 seconds for a purchase prior to doing so.

Trust me, if Trenitalia figured this out years ago, Amtrak can too.

Since there are existing seat assignment threads and I don't want to pollute this thread since Anderson started for the "experience" not the discussion, I will just say Welcome to the board and since this whole seat assignment system is a pilot program, I strongly suggest you utilize the energy you've expended here and direct it to Amtrak. Submit your feedback and tell them you want to pick your seat prior.

As for the rest of it, again....welcome....and we'll "probably" chat again! ^_^

Several thoughts:
(1) The inability to view a seating chart before booking is a real turkey if you're hoping to get work done with one or more colleagues on a trip.
Yeah.  While Amtrak should fix that, you know, we could also help with that by creating a seating chart.  Even if we can't see what seats are *available* before booking, having a seating chart to start with would help.

Thanks!  What a bizarre layout.
Actually, it solves everybodys' choices of where to sit...single seats, with or without tables on each side, and double seats, with or without tables on each side.  And, of course, a spot for someone in a wheel chair to be securely 'locked down'.   

Based on my experience of using a couple of upgrades to ride FC, most passengers prefer the single seats as there weren't any available, (even on a reasonably lightly loaded 2153), to choose from using a 48 hr upgrade coupon.  Remembering my trips in pre-reserved seating days boarding anywhere except at train origin, all the single seats are taken first.

I used a 48 hour upgrade coupon last month and was able to get a single seat (however, I was only traveling from WAS to BWI).  I believe at least a handful of passegers in FC were in the wrong seats initially.  There was one passenger who was in the wrong seat twice.

Back