Texas Eagle Dining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

New member to the forum.  I searched, but it was a little hard to find the answer.  We're taking 22 from FTW to CHI in March.  This is our second time in a sleeper.  The first was on the Silver Meteor (running very late from FLO to Newark-Penn).  If it's running on time (or close to it), will we still have the opportunity to have lunch on board?

Also, there was a rumor on the forum from back in August that the TE was going to "contemporary dining" like on the City of New Orleans and Lake Shore Limited, etc.  Any truth to that?  Any timeframe?  I'm very much looking forward to trying out the traditional Amtrak menu.  We only got to try breakfast on the Meteor.

Thank you!

Hello,

New member to the forum.  I searched, but it was a little hard to find the answer.  We're taking 22 from FTW to CHI in March.  This is our second time in a sleeper.  The first was on the Silver Meteor (running very late from FLO to Newark-Penn).  If it's running on time (or close to it), will we still have the opportunity to have lunch on board?

Also, there was a rumor on the forum from back in August that the TE was going to "contemporary dining" like on the City of New Orleans and Lake Shore Limited, etc.  Any truth to that?  Any timeframe?  I'm very much looking forward to trying out the traditional Amtrak menu.  We only got to try breakfast on the Meteor.

Thank you!
Your first Meal on #22 will be Dinner in East Texas ( Lunch starts @ Temple and ends before Ft Worth).Reservations will be taken after the stop in Dallas.

Breakfast will be around St Louis depending on your OTP, and you'll have a Limited Menu,Shortened Lunch around Springfield,ILL.

The Eagle has excellent Chefs and still serves the National Menu but since it makes a CHI-SAS( #21)-CHI(#22)  turn, the Diner tends to run out of Popular items on the way to Chicago,especially Steaks and Deserts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your first Meal on #22 will be Dinner in East Texas ( Lunch starts @ Temple anand ends before Ft Worth).Reservations will be taken after the stop in Dallas.

Breakfast will be around St Louis depending on your OTP and you'll have a Limited Menu,Shortened Lunch around Springfield,ILL.

The Eagle has excellent Chefs and still serves the Nationdl Menu but since it makes a CHI-SAS( #21)-CHI(#22)  turn, the Diner tends to run out of Popular items on the way to Chicago,especially Steaks and Deserts.
We'll try to opt for an early dinner, then!  Hopefully they still have the steak!

I’ve found that the crews on the Eagle are fantastic, and the staff really go the extra mile to make your ride (and meals) especially pleasant. Though there was a rumor going around earlier this year that the TE was to get all “contemporary”, that has yet to happen. The Superliner “Cross Country Cafe” it uses has all the kitchen facilities and menu options of any other full service Amtrak dining car. Fingers crosed that it stays that way.

1@Guppypilot[/USER] Welcome to AU, by the way. :)

Might I ask if I am correct in my assumption that you fly the Boeing/Aero Spacelines Guppy? :huh:

Never got a tour of the Aero, best I ever did was a C5 at Stewart. 737-100, 200,300,400,500 (canceled trip booked on Westjet to Toronto so no 600) 700, 800 no 900 or any MAX. 
What's the easiest way to identify a Max?  I've been on the B732, B733, B735, B737, B738, and B739.  No 100's, 400's, or 600's.

Never got a tour of the Aero, best I ever did was a C5 at Stewart. 737-100, 200,300,400,500 (canceled trip booked on Westjet to Toronto so no 600) 700, 800 no 900 or any MAX. 
What's the easiest way to identify a Max?  I've been on the B732, B733, B735, B737, B738, and B739.  No 100's, 400's, or 600's.
Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding what you’re asking, but the MAX is the newest 737 generation, and comes in four types: the 737 MAX 7, MAX 8 (and it’s high density variant the MAX 200), MAX 9, and finally MAX 10. So from the list you gave there, you have definitely not been on a 737 MAX. You would know straight from the name.

Sharklet style wingtips instead of winglets would be the easiest.. There were very few (30)  100s,  200s were much better and more common, USAir had 400s, not too many 600s, WestJet a Canadian airline flies them LaGuardia to Toronto. Only reason I got a 100 was that People Express bought the ones from Lufthansa, the launch customer, and they were acquired by Continental, the 100s would always make their way back to Newark for TLC

I think he meant by looking at it. Airlines swap equipment so you can't always tell by the booking. As an example SWA has 737-800 and MAX 8 both with 175 seats. Some airlines have a multi use safety card.

3F0FB887-D026-43F1-95A5-B3E43998EA6E.jpg

Here’s a pic of a MAX 8 (top) and a MAX 9 (bottom) at MSY I took recently. Larger engines than the regular 800/900 series plus they sit higher off the ground.

I think he meant by looking at it. Airlines swap equipment so you can't always tell by the booking. As an example SWA has 737-800 and MAX 8 both with 175 seats. Some airlines have a multi use safety card.
Fair enough. I interpreted it as asking how he could know if the 737s he has taken were MAXs, because of how he seemed to go straight from asking what the easiest way to identify a MAX is, to listing the the 737s he has taken. Apologies.

Yes, I was referring to something easy and simple to look for in the future.  Booking results and boarding passes often gloss over specific models.  Often the front door jam has this information but I don't always remember or have time to look for it.  As you mentioned, sometimes the safety cards include it but other times it's missing or combined across models.  Flight tracking sites usually have these details but unless I have reason to believe I'm on a new aircraft I rarely check them.

Back