Silver Star with two Cafe Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a post today on the Amtrak Fans Facebook page where the OP was taking the Silver Star from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa, FL.   He mentioned that that particular consist had two cafe cars and that they were both in use.

How common is that?   I naturally assumed that if there were either two diners or two cafe cars (depending on the route), that one of said cars was deadheading.   Was the train especially crowded to the point where two cafe cars had to be used to keep up with all of the passengers?

They added equipment to the trains for the holiday period. The Star and Meteor are operating with 6 coaches. They added another cafe to the Star because it doesn’t have a diner and they anticipate more people eating.

They’ve done it in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
They added equipment to the trains for the holiday period. The Star and Meteor are operating with 6 coaches. They added another cafe to the Star because it doesn’t have a diner and they anticipate more people eating.

They’ve done it in the past.
I saw in a post elsewhere that the Star would also have two engines, but 92(20) only had engine 130.

jb

1/2 and 1/3 marked the last days  of the Stars operating with two cafe cars.  They are also back to 5 coaches, which will likely drop Monday.

1/2 and 1/3 marked the last days  of the Stars operating with two cafe cars.  They are also back to 5 coaches, which will likely drop Monday.
Question: I was on 98(1) the other day, and noticed after arriving in NYP that we had an extra AM-II lounge, at the very front of the train (as well as a second ACS-64). Do you happen to know if that was just deadheading or if it was actually being used? I didn’t notice it when the Meteor picked us up in DLB, so I guess it could have been added on in D.C, or was there all along and I just didn’t notice it because I’m not generally on the lookout for extra Amfleets. Any ideas?

Question: I was on 98(1) the other day, and noticed after arriving in NYP that we had an extra AM-II lounge, at the very front of the train (as well as a second ACS-64). Do you happen to know if that was just deadheading or if it was actually being used? I didn’t notice it when the Meteor picked us up in DLB, so I guess it could have been added on in D.C, or was there all along and I just didn’t notice it because I’m not generally on the lookout for extra Amfleets. Any ideas?
It deadheaded from WAS back to NYP.

Back