Springfield Line PTC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How have they been running at 110 for the past few months without ACSES?
I thought all that you needed was 110 capable cab signal to do so. ACSES was mandatory only over 125mph. I don't believe the 110 speed limit on the Empire Corridor was reduced either pending availability of ACSES.

I thought all that you needed was 110 capable cab signal to do so. ACSES was mandatory only over 125mph. I don't believe the 110 speed limit on the Empire Corridor was reduced either pending availability of ACSES.
That’s correct but I thought the rule was modified to now require PTC. Maybe it goes into effect when PTC does on the 31st.

From what I’ve heard locally they are operable on the CTrail commuter trains also.
I repeat: the bulletin that instituted ACSES rules on the territory only applies to Amtrak trains.

That’s correct but I thought the rule was modified to now require PTC. Maybe it goes into effect when PTC does on the 31st.
Unless something changes, that rule won't take effect until the 31st.

My understanding is CDOT elected to activate ACSES at the same time on their equipment even though not required to do so yet by the bulletin.
When  you quoted my response about the rule taking effect until the 31st, it has nothing to do with ACSES rules being  in effect. What you quoted has to do with exceeding 79mph without PTC. You are now conflating two different subject matters.

Railroads other than Amtrak are not required, obligated to operate under ACSES rules. Cdot (and any other railroad) may enter the MRS without ACSES if they choose. To make this clear and put it terms you can understand, lordsigma:

If an Amtrak train has ACSES failure at its initial terminal, it may NOT enter ACSES territory.  An Amtrak engine must be equipped with ACSES to enter the territory, unless it is on the exempt list. If the choice is operating without ACSES departing an initial terminal or cancelling a train, the train will be cancelled. This is A REQUIREMENT.

On the other hand CDOT, may enter the territory without ACSES. If their ACSES fails, they may enter the territory if they choose to.  If they had a choice between canceling the train or operating without ACSES, they may operate without ACSES if they choose to. If they decided to borrow an engine without ACSES, they may enter the territory and operate without a restriction if they choose to. There is is nothing stopping them from doing so.

Why?

This is because the ACSES rules  are  NOT in effect for trains other than Amtrak and the rules DO NOT currently apply to any other trains.

I actually misquoted I meant to quote the part about it only applying to Amtrak trains my apologies. Thanks for your explanation of the rule. I just wanted to share that CDOT did fully activate their ACSES PTC systems in their trains on the line at the same time, but now from your explanation I understand that they can operate without it by law/rules unlike Amtrak. Whether they actually will operate without it or whether they internally will not allow that I am not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious about one thing - in the days before ACSES if you had a particularly risky curve or bridge that you wanted to protect with ATC/cab signals you would have to have a main line signal before the curve permanently in a slow aspect in order to enforce a lower speed at the curve correct?

Curious about one thing - in the days before ACSES if you had a particularly risky curve or bridge that you wanted to protect with ATC/cab signals you would have to have a main line signal before the curve permanently in a slow aspect in order to enforce a lower speed at the curve correct?
That is what Amtrak should have done northbound before Frankford intersection.  However Amtrak did not and no ACSES protection as it was thought that ACS-64s could not accelerate fast enough. Amtrak found out differently /RE; 188 !

You could use a fixed signal as you stated. You could also have a cab signal drop between the fixed signals to protect the restriction.

So, at the risk of veering off topic, I believe Amtrak doesn't have ACSES or PTC up on the Hudson Line yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like it was a rough week on the SPG line with some ACSES glitch caused delays. Guess they’ve got to get the bugs out of the system coupled with the crews getting used to operating with the system. Both Amtrak and CTrail commuters trains have had some glitches.

It is an industry problem. A lot of trains are taking delays due to PTC issues and as Amtrak706 stated, it will only get worse after 12/31, if something isn't done.

It is an industry problem. A lot of trains are taking delays due to PTC issues and as Amtrak706 stated, it will only get worse after 12/31, if something isn't done.
It will be interesting. Our two local freight operators that operate over the SPG line, Pan Am and CSO, have not yet turned on their ACSES. Things will get even more interesting when they do.

Question for Thirdrail - so PanAm, CSO and on the NEC P&W are equipping a subset of their equipment with ACSES perhaps in addition to I-ETMS?

I know that on NEC South there are significant segments where the tracks are being dual equipped with both ACSES and I-ETMS with information link in the back office, the I-ETMS isntallation being paid for by NS or CSX or both, as I understand it. Is there any of that in NEC North?

Are all the Boston/New Haven pool Amtrak diesels dual equipped with ACSES and I-ETMS?

Back