Ryan

New LD Locomotive Order Placed

Palmetto, while not an overnight, is not a state financed or joint venture like Carolinian or Penn.  NER are not LD. 

6 minutes ago, PVD said:

Palmetto, while not an overnight, is not a state financed or joint venture like Carolinian or Penn.  NER are not LD. 

I thought the Pennsy wasn’t state funded? And why isn’t the NER long distance? I mean, I know it’s not, but what is the actual standard here?

Edited by cpotisch

I thought the Pennsy wasn’t state funded?

Pennsy is funded by PennDOT. It almost got canceled at one point when negotiations between Amtrak and PennDOT ran into some rough waters.

In a simplified form, from a business unit perspective, NEC and it extensions are "short haul"  the other 2 units are the state sponsored/partnered, and the long distance. 

Palmetto is accounted for as part of the LDBU by Amtrak. I think that is what is relevant if we are talking about where the costs and revenues land up.

Agreed. And the history of that train, in its various forms including the Silver Palm era, has at times included a sleeper. We may have touched on this subject of accounting/business units previously in discussions of carrying NEC traffic on certain trains and combining an NER local cars onto a non NER

You bring up an interesting question.  The Carolinian is state supported by NC however on previous Amtrak reports ( no longer available ) it was listed in the LD trains. 

In a simplified form, from a business unit perspective, NEC and it extensions are "short haul"  the other 2 units are the state sponsored/partnered, and the long distance. 

I believe the NEC extensions are in the state supported category (Virginia branches, New Haven - Springfield, Vermonter, Carolinian, etc)

I think NEC BU is just BOS - WAS.

I really like the Genesis units, but they are getting old and can't last forever. The new Charger locomotives don't look that bad.  The only thing main thing I don't like about them is: I wish the front wind shields would extend all the way to the edge of front(of locomotive).  With the current locomotives having failures like they do, the new units can't come soon enough!