New LD Locomotive Order Placed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is obviously great from a practical point of view, but I love the Gennies, and this is definitely going to take some getting used to. :eek:hboy:

This order suggests a commitment to long distance routes, which is good news.

As a passenger, will I notice a difference?  (e.g. acceleration, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
As a passenger, will I notice a difference?  (e.g. acceleration, etc.)
While it should accelerate faster, the bigger piece of the pie is the  trains shouldn't break down due to mechanical failure as much.

Any thoughts on the New York section of the LSL and its need for dual power.  I wonder if they will have to keep some of the dual mode units to fill that need or replace them with something else.

We’ve had the Chargers on the Pere Marquette for a bit over a year now. I don’t really notice any difference except obviously the look.

Any thoughts on the New York section of the LSL and its need for dual power.  I wonder if they will have to keep some of the dual mode units to fill that need or replace them with something else.
Amtrak has been working on specification of a dual mode engine. Anyway those are mostly used by NY State funded service, and it is unlikely that Amtrak will buy any without consulting with NYSDOT. Until then the P32ACDMs will soldier on.

Meanwhile, apparently MNRR has for the moment shelved working on their replacement order for P32ACDMs, until some unspecified time.

I see what happened. Obviously Anderson is taking his Christmas vacation now, so Amtrak procurement made a late night phone call to Siemens, and marketing rousted some poor intern out of bed to dash off the press release without a copy edit, and now everyone at HQ is waiting with bated breath to see what happens. I’m sure Anderson is trying to find out right now whether Siemens makes busses he can order instead...

In terms of having random fun, I am seriously wondering what they will do with these 75 new locomotives when they cancel all Long Distance service this coming year, as I have been told in no uncertain terms by many vocal Amtrak opinionators (is that even a word? Or is cpotisch going to send me to the dog house? Shudder :lol: ).
So your saying 75 locomotives cover all the long distance trains?  Never did the math myself.

I'm curious as to where the number 75 came from. IMO It's a good number to at least start replacing some of the least reliable units. And on top of that gives more wiggle room for the shop count. 

Also IINM, they'll have to do some work for these to be long distance units compared to what they have in the current charger units? 

So your saying 75 locomotives cover all the long distance trains?  Never did the math myself.
I am not saying anything. I am just having random fun at this point.

Clearly more than 75 are needed. But the press release names specific trains on which they are targeted for use. I am sure they are not going to decommission 250 P42s soon after receiving 75 Chargers :lol:

We have to see the actual order to see how many options remain unused by this order. Clearly this is not the last final time that Amtrak will order diesel locomotives for long distance trains, no matter how much some may wish that that is the case so that they can be proved right about discontinuance of LD trains. :lol:

I'm curious as to where the number 75 came from. IMO It's a good number to at least start replacing some of the least reliable units. And on top of that gives more wiggle room for the shop count. 

Also IINM, they'll have to do some work for these to be long distance units compared to what they have in the current charger units? 
Larger fuel tanks is the primary additional thing I believe.

The 75 number most likely has to do with how much money is available at this time for such.

This is being made at the same plant in Sacramento that makes light rail vehicles?
Yes, the same one that made the existing Chargers, the ACS-64s, the Brightline trainsets, and will be making the State-bought single level fleet, and the new VIA fleet.

peter

This is being made at the same plant in Sacramento that makes light rail vehicles?
Same geographical location. Clearly not the same production line as the LRTs. Siemens is setting up a second production line for main line equipment in addition to the one that they already have for delivering the Viaggio Comfort derivative cars and Chargers. This was mentioned in their press release after receiving the VIA order.

*** Moderator Note ***

Numerous posts have been removed that question the typos and or grammatical errors. Please limit your comments to the actual reason for this thread - the locomotive order.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Maybe this was discussed (I'm sure it was) but is there any possibility of a Tier 4 drop-in replacement from GE.  As far as I can tell they still make them, although the whole sale of the division would be a wrinkle.

Maybe this was discussed (I'm sure it was) but is there any possibility of a Tier 4 drop-in replacement from GE.  As far as I can tell they still make them, although the whole sale of the division would be a wrinkle.
Looks like Amtrak has decided  not to go the rebuild P42s route, with this order. I doubt that they will both order Chargers and rebuild P42s

I'm really happy to hear about this order as I do think it shows that Amtrak has some interest in fulfilling their requirement to connect communities across the country with the long distance trains. Seeing the timeline of delivery, I am also a bit concerned since many of the P42s seem to barely be hanging on at this point, so I'm not sure how well they'll do between now and fall 2021 when the Chargers enter service.

The rendering looks a bit odd. It starts with 2 California cars in Amtrak colors. Notice the double doors. Then the dorm with 1 small window on the front of the upper level, 2 unknown cars, the diner, the lounge and ends with some coaches.

Good news that Amtrak is starting to replace some of the Genesis (though the states Chargers are already replacing many of them). But really, who else with any credibility was in the running? More pics

https://media.amtrak.com/media-images/renderings-of-new-amtrak-locomotives/

Notice that long Superliner train with only one unit? Hint, hint.
180712_Charger_AMTRAK_background3.jpg

This is a weird picture. The Charger actually looks pretty realistic, but then the first two cars it’s pulling are extremely unrealistic renderings of what seems to be a Surfliner or California Car (the double doors), followed by a bunch of extremely realistic (maybe an actual photo?) Superliners, which for some reason start with a Trans-Dorm. Just an odd choice for a rendering.

Larger fuel tanks is the primary additional thing I believe.

The 75 number most likely has to do with how much money is available at this time for such.
I remember the fuel tanks needed to be larger which isn't that much of an issue. 

Your logic on why the number 75 makes sense. 

Notice that long Superliner train with only one unit? Hint, hint.
That's because the Chargers are AC propulsion. Better tractive effort. 

If GE was interested in the Passenger game still I think we would have heard something out of them. But GE is also in the process of rebuilding DC units to AC Propulsion for NS and Other railroads as well. 

Back