Monthly Rail Pass for Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Is anyone aware if there is an option to purchase a monthly rail pass for business class?  

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the responses!
Welcome aboard. :)

And unless I’m mistaken, I’m pretty sure you can use a Rail Pass (for coach) and then pay whatever the upgrade cost is to get a Business Class seat. I know for a fact that you can do that with sleepers, so I don’t see any reason why BC would be any different.

And unless I’m mistaken, I’m pretty sure you can use a Rail Pass (for coach) and then pay whatever the upgrade cost is to get a Business Class seat. I know for a fact that you can do that with sleepers, so I don’t see any reason why BC would be any different.
I think you are confusing two different passes. This is about the monthly rail pass allowing unlimited rides between two specific stations for a calendar month.  It is a commuter pass.  Those passes are coach only, with certain services such as Acela and all Long Distance trains excluded. Reservations are not required for monthly pass travel - just arrive and ride.

You're thinking of the USA Rail Pass, good for a certain number of rides within a stated period. That is a tourist pass.  USA Rail Passes require reservations and paid upgrades are available.

Yes, but you're limited in the amount of segments you can take over the same trackage: it's four. One of the reasons for this is so people don't use it as a commuting pass.

I think you are confusing two different passes. This is about the monthly rail pass allowing unlimited rides between two specific stations for a calendar month.  It is a commuter pass.  Those passes are coach only, with certain services such as Acela and all Long Distance trains excluded. Reservations are not required for monthly pass travel - just arrive and ride.

You're thinking of the USA Rail Pass, good for a certain number of rides within a stated period. That is a tourist pass.  USA Rail Passes require reservations and paid upgrades are available.
Oh, sorry about that. Thank you muchly.

He's sort of wrong... Wrong in the sense he's thinking of the the USA rail pass, instead of a monthly.

However, I'm pretty sure he is right, that if the OP is onboard and there's space available, they may pay the accommodation fare, and upgrade. I'll to check in to this and report back.

So, now that one of my conductor friends who's real familiar with the policy has gotten back to me...

"Absolutely!"

So ask the conductor if there's space for your trip, then call to pay the accommodation fare if you'd like. It's not perfect, but at least it's possible

However, I'm pretty sure he is right, that if the OP is onboard and there's space available, they may pay the accommodation fare, and upgrade. I'll to check in to this and report back.

So, now that one of my conductor friends who's real familiar with the policy has gotten back to me...

"Absolutely!"

So ask the conductor if there's space for your trip, then call to pay the accommodation fare if you'd like. It's not perfect, but at least it's possible
All this is well and good but I don't believe that is what the OP had in mind. He didn't ask if he could upgrade on board the train. He asked and I quote:

Hello,

Is anyone aware if there is an option to purchase a monthly rail pass for business class? 

Thanks in advance!
To my knowledge, the answer to that is "no, there isn't an option to purchase a monthly rail pass for business class" as PRR60 and others mentioned.

Thanks for all the replies.  For some more specifics, I would be looking at the monthly unlimited rail pass for the Pacific Surfliner.  It seems like, if there is space available, I could (potentially) upgrade by paying the fare difference.   Appreciate both the responses as well as the "out of the box" suggestions.

Back