SAC Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhat off topic, but has the Sacramento rebuilding work in the Mall area finished, I think they were constructing a stadium?
If you're talking about the Sacramento Kings stadium (Golden One Center) then it was finished a couple years ago.  According to what I read on an NBA focused subreddit the new stadium was a 50/50 public-private project, is mainly powered by solar energy, and has helped revitalize the downtown area where it was built.  Normally I'm against spending taxpayer and/or tourist money on sports arenas but this appears to be a rare success story among major sport stadium developments.

The arena is done, and when there's an event scheduled, there's something that almost rises to the level of nightlife around it. Good range of eating and drinking establishments, and it's only a couple of blocks from the station. I had an hour to kill waiting for the Capitol Corridor a couple of weeks ago, and had dinner there. Good food, good service and closer/easier to get to than Old Sac.

Good to know it is now finished, there was major demolition in the area when I was last there, which I think may have been during the San Francisco AU gathering.

Are there food and drink options open in that area at all times, or just open on "event nights" at the stadium?

Ed.

From what I've seen, there's not as much open when there isn't an event. I was there a month or so ago when there wasn't an event, and it was pretty much shut down. A couple of the bars were open, but not the restaurants. Except for a few watering holes around the Capitol, there's not much happening in downtown Sac after 5pm.

Somewhat off topic, but has the Sacramento rebuilding work in the Mall area finished, I think they were constructing a stadium?

Ed.
Yes, the Golden1 Center's been open a couple of years now.  The area was rebuilt in part and reconfigured west of the arena but it's now referred to as Downtown Commons or DOCO.  There are several food options there several open until 11PM or midnight depending on the day of the week event or no event.  There are a lot of new restaurants and bars that have come in over the past couple of years, and more are on the way.  The arena's really done wonders for that end of downtown and is 10,000 times better than Downtown Plaza ever was. It's also not a bad place to catch a game.

It's been a few years since I went thru SAC. Have they finished renovations? Do they have a food court?

Thanx

RF
To answer your question directly, yes the renovations are complete.  No, they do not have a food court in the station but as JimBob mentioned there is a Starbucks in the old REA building immediately adjacent to the station (the building on your left as you're facing the station building coming from the train.)  There are food options close by both in Old Sac west of the station or in DOCO where the arena is two blocks south of the station.  If I remember correctly you've mentioned in the past you have mobility issues outside of Uber/Lyft/Taxi if you want to go to DOCO you can take the 30 bus from the station and get off at 4th and J Street which would put you about as close as you can get.

Does anyone know when the brewpub is expected to open at Sac? The people who worked on the renovation mentioned one is planned on the main level but on my very brief visit earlier this month it didn't look like much has happened.

Renovation is done, but no food court. However, there's a few dining venues nearby in downtown. Check out Old Sac, they have few good places (my favorite is the Railroad Fish and Chips). Beware...most establishments close at around 8-9pm. If you have time, take the light rail to midtown/Arden-Arcade/South Sac/Rancho, or buses to Natomas/North Sac (Costs 2.50 for 1 1/2 hours, or 7.00 for a whole day and you can ride the light rail and the bus as much as you can until closing), they have some dining places out these places (I personally like the establishments on the Natomas Marketplace/Promenade, off Truxel Road, due to variety of offerings).

Like was said, there is a second floor with offices in the main station. A brewpub was going to open adjacent to the waiting room part of the station, but it sounds like that plan may have not made it very far.

Back