AMTRAK locomotive livery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello group -

I was at the Odenton (Maryland) station (not a stop on the Northeast Corridor since Penn Central became AMTRAK) this morning recording AMTRAK trains going through and I saw an AMTRAK locomotive with a fancy design on the side.  I didn't get a good look at the design because the train was going 80 miles an hour and it was a blur, but I got a video of it (attached) and I am hopeful that someone can tell me what the design is and perhpas has a still photo so I can see it.

Thanks in advance for any information of this paint scheme.

Mike Calo

Odenton (Maryland) - the town a railroad built

www.navpooh.com/odenton.html 

View attachment AMTRAK locomotive.mp4

That's the ACS-64 #642 "Veterans Unit". It's in a special livery to honor U.S. veterans.

Standard ACS-64 livery:

1200px-Northeast_Regional_152_(12384830114).jpg

Veterans Unit:

19401512212_b2555952b3_b.jpg

Amtrak also repainted P42 #42 to serve as their diesel Veterans Unit.

eb289e527d40e2b0fff8519b21624f25.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Four, actually. ACS-64 #642, P42 #42, and then Cabbages #90221 and #90208
Once again, in your rush to answer everything, you didn't comprehend.  I never said there were three Veteran's Units. I said "There are three of them operating in different motive powers. "

The ACS-64

The P42

The NPCU

That equals three different motive powers.

Once again, in your rush to answer everything, you didn't comprehend.  I never said there were three Veteran's Units. I said "There are three of them operating in different motive powers. "

The ACS-64

The P42

The NPCU

I honestly don't think that was an example of me rushing to answer everything (not denying that there are plenty of examples of that, just that I wouldn't describe this as one of them). I think it's pretty fair to interpret "three of them operating" as "three units operating". If you had said something like "there are units operating in three different motive powers", I would have interpreted it the way you meant it. Obviously you know what you meant, and I am definitely the less knowledgable person at all things Amtrak, but I would describe that particular phrasing as at minimum ambiguous. 

Amtrak, but I would describe that particular phrasing as at minimum ambiguous. 
Hmmm...you're probably right.  That was poor syntax. I knew what I meant but looking back at it,  I can see why you'd would say that.

original.gif

Thank you all very much for your responses and for the pictures.  I'll print one of the pics to show my father-in-law, who is a WWII vet.

Best regards,

Mike Calo

Odenton Maryland - the town a railroad built

www.navpooh.com/odenton.html -Odenton Maryland railroad history

www.navpooh.com/orangeville.html - Pennsy's Orangeville (Baltimore) locomotive servicing facility

The ACS-64

The P42

The NPCU

Does an NPCU count as motive power?

Best regards,

Mike Calo

Odenton Maryland - the town a railroad built

www.navpooh.com/odenton.html -Odenton Maryland railroad history

www.navpooh.com/orangeville.html - Pennsy's Orangeville (Baltimore) locomotive servicing facility
BTW, if you're going to want to automatically have all that at the bottom of every one of your posts, just click here and make it your "Signature". :)

They were built as, certified as, and operated as F40 series locomotives. and are still used to control a train, notwithstanding those that also carry bags.406 got an HEP generator for the exhibit train.

Standard ACS-64 livery:

You know, you should really look when sharing images to see under what terms you're permitted to do so.  Fortunately the unidentified photographer of this picture is known to be a really nice guy and probably won't mind too much as long as you provide him credit. ;)  

I wonder if you noticed that you also happened to choose a picture from the exact same platform as the OP?

Welcome to the site, Mike!  Glad to see someone local around here, I've lived here for about 13 years now, and over there to shoot far less then I would like to.  Perhaps I'll see you trackside some day.

You know, you should really look when sharing images to see under what terms you're permitted to do so.  Fortunately the unidentified photographer of this picture is known to be a really nice guy and probably won't mind too much as long as you provide him credit. ;)  
LOL, didn't even notice that this was from said unidentified photographer. ;)

As to making sure I'm allowed to share images the way I do, almost all of these are from the Wikimedia Commons, so I can share it without restrictions so long as I'm not profiting off it. :)  

As to making sure I'm allowed to share images the way I do, almost all of these are from the Wikimedia Commons, so I can share it without restrictions so long as I'm not profiting off it. :)  
That is not true.  While public domain images can be shared without restriction, most Commons images are released under some form of a Creative Commons license, all of which require that you provide the original author with attribution.

That is not true.  While public domain images can be shared without restriction, most Commons images are released under some form of a Creative Commons license, all of which require that you provide the original author with attribution.
All those images are attached via URL, so clicking on them takes you back to the source. That enough? (Genuinely asking)

Back