Omaha, NE to Salt Lake City, UT (Cheapest Route?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocTurnal

Train Attendant
Hi everyone. What is the cheapest way to get from Omaha to SLC? If bus is cheaper, please let me know. But it looks based on my findings that taking Amtrak would be cheaper. I could drive, but this is bad time of year to do that. It's also costly with gas plus hotels which may end up being the same as a train. I'm not sure. Thank you.

Compare the websites of Amtrak and Greyhound.    The train is far preferable in terms of comfort and scenery.   The Amtrak coach fares can vary, but are often very reasonable, sometimes cheaper than the bus.  Sleeping car considerably more.  Hands down I would take the train. 

Obviously, the best way to figure out what is less costly is to go to Greyhound.com or other bus site and price out their tickets.  Do the same at Amtrak.com.  Also figure out your costs if you drive...gas, hotel, food, rest stops, etc.

Perhaps the best gauge of which way to travel is departure times, arrival times, and personal comforts enroute.  The train is about 25 hours, departing and arriving at 11PM, and offers very comfortable and roomy coach seats in addition to private rooms, a sightseer lounge and full dining car.  The bus is cramped seating, and if you're an geezer like me, there's no way I could ever sleep in seats that close together...even if I get to spread out over the seat next to me. 

So, consider the prices, but also consider how 'awake' and 'rested' you'll be when you get to Salt Lake City.

Greyhound doesn't even operate from Omaha anymore, but their website sells the other carrier's that do...

Yep, best way to determine price and availability (it is almost the busy Christmas season) would be to go to both websites and check it out. Running a sample itinerary on Jan 9th, both trips took about 25 hours and Amtrak was $27 cheaper. 

I mean if you truly want to know, you need to search for yourself on the dates you need to travel, since fares are different based on demand for the give trip. I picked Jan 16th, and to be quite honest, Delta has flights cheaper than Greyhound. And their 2 flights are non-stop.SmartSelect_20181213-093501_Amtrak.jpegSmartSelect_20181213-093530_Greyhound.jpegSmartSelect_20181213-093623_Chrome.jpeg

Yeah, on this route Greyhound is one of the more expensive options as they have to pay a secondary company for the Omaha - Denver leg. Amtrak may be cheaper, and the time in transit is about equal. One plus about Amtrak is that there isn't a connection to make, so you don't have to worry about missing a connecting bus and getting delayed until the next bus with available seats can take you to Salt Lake City.

Flying is also an option, and the airlines can have some good deals as well; Southwest Airlines has some days with $104 fares one-way, about what Amtrak is at low value fare on this segment.

As was said, it's probably best to check for yourself, since only you know what dates work, how important comfort and scenery is, if you have any travel restrictions, etc. Greyhound is definitely going to be less comfortable than Amtrak, and since it's apparently more expensive, I just don't see any reason you would want to take the bus.

I honestly only choose Amtrak over the airlines for long distance travel if I can take a sleeper. Flying is definitely a worse experience than coach on Amtrak, but the fact that it takes a tenth as long makes it the better option for me. I take it you are not looking into a sleeper, so I would actually recommend flying, considering it is definitely by far the fastest option, and may actually be cheapest.

All of that said, I really am speculating here, since I don't know what your budget is, if you can or can't fly, and what your dates or travel are. So could you fill us in on some of that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Other considerations are the true beginning and ending points of the trip, and the access and cost to and from the relative train or bus station and the airport. Is parking needed? Cost? Is a rental car needed? available at the train/bus station? Higher or lower cost than airport?

Personally I consider stress and important value and in most cases the train wins hands down.

Back