A comparison breakfast

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAQuail

Train Attendant
I apologize for the blurry nature of this photo, didn't realize it was blurry until too late.  Anyway this is breakfast in First Class on the Enterprise service between Dublin and Belfast.  A full Irish breakfast,  served on china at my seat.  All was freshly prepared in the dining car and was also available for purchase in the dining car for standard class passengers.  Was better than any breakfast I have ever had on Amtrak.  Price was 9.50 GBP

enterprise breakfast.jpg

I guess by train food prices that's a good deal, considering what you got. (11 bucks and change I think). I love that pot of coffee!

I apologize for the blurry nature of this photo, didn't realize it was blurry until too late.  Anyway this is breakfast in First Class on the Enterprise service between Dublin and Belfast.  A full Irish breakfast,  served on china at my seat.  All was freshly prepared in the dining car and was also available for purchase in the dining car for standard class passengers.  Was better than any breakfast I have ever had on Amtrak.  Price was 9.50 GBP

View attachment 11512
So how long is the trip from Dublin to Belfast?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had occasion to take a British Rail train from Falmouth (Truro, actually) to London in May of 1990. My shipping company would only pay for basic coach, which included no food service. There was a flyer touting the full English breakfast provided to those who upgraded to premium service, which I thought at first was out of my reach. Then I read further, and realized that I was traveling on a bank holiday, and that the holiday upgrade charge was only (IIRC) £5! Well, at that price it was a no-brainer. And it was an excellent breakfast, excepting only the tomato (I despise raw tomatos!).

Rightly or wrongly I generally associate modern English Breakfasts with grilled or roasted tomatoes.  I'm not against eating raw tomatoes myself but the least they could do is slice or cube them before adding some basil and mozzarella to jazz it up a bit.  The main items I tend to avoid are the baked beans and blood pudding.  Not that I didn't give them a try first.

Though it is hard to tell from the photo the tomato in question was cooked.  It was the one thing left on the plate at the end since I have no interest in tomatoes until they have been made into various forms of sauce.  I am however a fan of blood pudding, and both it and the white pudding were very good.

Now that I think about it I believe my half tomato in 1990 was roasted as well. I still left it uneaten; as with CAQuail I have no interest in tomatoes unless they have been rendered into paste or sauce.

Breakfast on LNER on London Kings Cross - Edinburgh Waverley service a couple of weeks back.

/monthly_2018_12/IMG_5600.thumb.JPG.227e91d43dbed34f5a4601fe535fd1d0.JPG

Continental Breakfast on Eurostar Premium Class in London St. Pancras International to Amsterdam Central Service a couple of weeks back.

View attachment 11525

Attachments

• IMG_5600.JPG
    IMG_5600.JPG
    522.7 KB · Views: 0
Breakfast on LNER on London Kings Cross - Edinburgh Waverley service a couple of weeks back.

/monthly_2018_12/IMG_5600.thumb.JPG.227e91d43dbed34f5a4601fe535fd1d0.JPG

Continental Breakfast on Eurostar Premium Class in London St. Pancras International to Amsterdam Central Service a couple of weeks back.

View attachment 11525
How’d you like it?

Amtrak’s breakfasts seem to have gone down hill. I noticed a clear difference in quality between my recent CZ trip, and my LD trips a few years ago. It’s too bad, breakfast shouldn’t be difficult. 

Amtrak’s breakfasts seem to have gone down hill. I noticed a clear difference in quality between my recent CZ trip, and my LD trips a few years ago. It’s too bad, breakfast shouldn’t be difficult. 
I just miss Railroad French Toast. The current pancakes are good, but nothing compares to a dining car breakfast of French toast with powdered sugar, IMHO.

Back