Silver Meteor sold out nearly a year from now

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Any idea why the sleeper accommodations on November 8th and 9th are sold out?

I’m looking to book a roomette a couple of days later and I’m getting nervous.   

Is Star sold out also?  Is coach sold out? It may be reserved for a special event.

The day I want to take the Meteor to NYP in January is sold out (which I assume is because of the safety patrol).  I will be taking the Star.  

Because people are going somewhere and they decided to book sleepers. :)  
I find it hard to believe that so many people have booked 11 months out.

This is the northbound train, by the way.

The Star has sleeper space available, but I am boarding at Charleston so this wouldn’t help me.

Is Star sold out also?  Is coach sold out? It may be reserved for a special event.
I looked and it’s just the sleepers on 98(8) that are sold out. The Star is completely available, as is coach on the Meteor. It does seem a bit odd, since that would be 45 rooms sold out within two days of being bookable.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW.  I am surprised also.  

Maybe it is some sort of a glitch.  Maybe a tour group/travel agency has booked all the sleepers.  I would keep checking.   I would also call Amtrak.  Maybe they are able to tell if there is a problem or if the sleepers are actually sold out (at a fairly slow time of year 11 months in the future).

I would note, for the OP, that when describing this issue, it can be a bit confusing/misleading to say that “sleeper accommodations on November 8th and 9th are sold out”, since it really is just the November 8th train, even if it does arrive at its destination on the 9th. I can say that before I checked Amtrak.com myself, I thought you were saying that it was sold out for two days in a row. Just something you may want to bear in mind next time.
I was saying that it’s sold out for two days in a row because it is.  The northbound Silver Meteors departing on the 8th AND the 9th are completely sold out for sleepers.  

Is this a new train route? I'm confused...
Nope. The Amtrak booking system (called “Arrow”) only allows you to book 11 months out or less, so what’s confusing here is that all those rooms sold out within two days of being up for grabs. Make sense?

I was saying that it’s sold out for two days in a row because it is.  The northbound Silver Meteors departing on the 8th AND the 9th are completely sold out for sleepers.  
Oh, so sorry. I would have sworn that I checked both days, but apparently not. Sorry about that. :blush:

I understand a lot of things, but I do wish that on days the Meteor either isn't running due to a planned disruption or is sold out that the Star (if still running) would carry a diner.

I suggest that if you want to book a room "a few days later" as mentioned, that you do that now. It probably is either a glitch in the system, or a block booking for a club or similar group of people. They would need to book straight away as soon as available, as a group in order to obtain all the rooms they required, so that could be one answer to the "early booking"...

Ed.

I suggest that if you want to book a room "a few days later" as mentioned, that you do that now. It probably is either a glitch in the system, or a block booking for a club or similar group of people. They would need to book straight away as soon as available, as a group in order to obtain all the rooms they required, so that could be one answer to the "early booking"...

Ed.
If it is a block booking for the usual reason(s), and the party booking all the sleeper space doesn't end up needing all that space, some could be released to the public later on. But you can't depend on that.

In such an example,  how much of a financial penalty would a group movement organizer suffer for cancelling X number of bedrooms/roomettes?

I am definitely going to do that.  I will be able to book my roomette in just a couple of days.  
...then watch the fares between now and your trip.   As I understand, you are allowed a one-time adjustment if the fares go down for a full refund of the difference.  After the first adjustment, there might be a 25% penalty of the difference if the fares go down again and you try to modify your reservation.

...then watch the fares between now and your trip.   As I understand, you are allowed a one-time adjustment if the fares go down for a full refund of the difference.  After the first adjustment, there might be a 25% penalty of the difference if the fares go down again and you try to modify your reservation.
Thanks for that tip.

I don’t know of any “one-time adjustment” restriction. As far as I can tell, there is no limit whatsoever to the number of times you can change/modify a reservation.

I don’t know of any “one-time adjustment” restriction. As far as I can tell, there is no limit whatsoever to the number of times you can change/modify a reservation.
When I called to have a sleeper fare modified to a lower fare, I was at first told there would be a 25% penalty.  The agent then went to speak to a supervisor, and came back and told me I would be given a "one-time" adjustment with no penalty.  I have not tried to adjust a sleeper fare more than once.

When I called to have a sleeper fare modified to a lower fare, I was at first told there would be a 25% penalty.  The agent then went to speak to a supervisor, and came back and told me I would be given a "one-time" adjustment with no penalty.  I have not tried to adjust a sleeper fare more than once.
Sounds as though you were given an exception at supervisor's discretion. A nice thing for them to do, but i wouldn't count on it in future.

Back