Which is the best Superliner Bedroom on the 29 Capitol Limited?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bedrooms D and E are generally regarded as superior as they are closer to the center of the car and give a better ride.

The sliding partition between rooms B & C and between rooms D & E (if you buy both of the pair of rooms, you can have it opened to make a "bedroom suite") is prone to rattle and does not insulate against sound as much as a solid wall. If you have talkative (or amorous :giggle: ) neighbors, you may hear more of the proceedings than you desire. Also, you're likely to hear every flush.

Room A is the best from the standpoint of noise, having solid walls on every side, but being at the end of the car it gives a somewhat rougher ride. Also, it's configured differently due to the bend in the passage at the end of the car and so has less floor space and a more constrained door to the toilet than any of the other four bedrooms. If you are a "person of size", don't take bedroom A.

ehbowen's description of the bedrooms reflects my experience with them as well. 
Yep, he absolutely nailed that on the head. I personally believe that the mild reduction in noise from adjacent rooms that Bedroom A offers, is more than compensated for by the added noise of being at the end of the car, and that is not even taking into account the rougher ride and decreased floor space. So I really recommend you go with Bedroom E, particularly when you bear in mind that E is only adjacent to one other bedroom, instead of two, which also decreases noise a bit.

I was in D on 29 last week and, in my opinion, I had the best room in that train. No one was in E and the way the consist was configured, my couch was facing forward. I really lucked out. 

I was in D on 29 last week and, in my opinion, I had the best room in that train. No one was in E and the way the consist was configured, my couch was facing forward. I really lucked out. 
But all things being equal, do you prefer D to E, or was it just in that case because you had the couch facing forward and no one in E?

I travel alone on the train and have 30 + years riding in a bedroom. Ive been in all bedrooms many times and E is somewhat smoother and have had nice trips in that room but I prefer A. I like quiet between rooms.The noise between B and C and D and E can be a problem at times. I do not find A to be a rough ride nor excessive noise in the hall. As stated earlier if you are a person of size getting into the bathroom could be a challenge. Its a door issue.

But all things being equal, do you prefer D to E, or was it just in that case because you had the couch facing forward and no one in E?
E is my first choice, however I was in A not too long ago and it was fine. I liked the quiet. 

To add another question to this, I read a few months ago about smells from the restrooms making its way to the bedrooms. So are D and E more prone to this since they are directly above, or does it matter? To add to this, A couple of months ago I was in FTW when the TE went through with a 422 sleeper from LAX, and evidently the lav wasn’t serviced in LA and had been smelling the whole way. Thankfully the guys in FTW finally serviced it for them. To say the least the pax were not happy. 

To add another question to this, I read a few months ago about smells from the restrooms making its way to the bedrooms. So are D and E more prone to this since they are directly above, or does it matter? To add to this, A couple of months ago I was in FTW when the TE went through with a 422 sleeper from LAX, and evidently the lav wasn’t serviced in LA and had been smelling the whole way. Thankfully the guys in FTW finally serviced it for them. To say the least the pax were not happy. 
You will have your own enclosed toilet in the bedroom. All the public toilets are vented to the outside. Smells usually come from blue water overflow onto the floor if the toilet  vacuum systems fails to empty the  hopper.

I've only had one trip where there were odor problems.  It was not confined to any one room, the whole car stunk.  I was told that the external air intake for the AC was sucking in vented gasses from the toilet system.  The SCA was spraying Febreze in the corridor and appeared to be trying to have maintenance performed during crew change stops.  He got a tip and a nice letter to management.  I ended up getting a nice voucher.  So in my experience, when the car stinks the whole car stinks.

I do prefer bedroom E myself.

I was a frequent traveler of bedrooms D & E (and/or their equivalents in the "all bedroom" cars) of the AutoTrain.  And for all the reasons stated above. Much prefer to be towards the center of the train and not over the trucks. I never saw the partitions to be that much of a noise factor as, perhaps, I was lucky enough to get more "mature" couples (and fewer "families with children") next to me. In fact, I think there was much more noise coming from people moving through the hallways.  And, as for ("romantical times," :D )  I honestly don't see how it's at all possible as there is:  1) insufficient privacy (remember, you can be heard from the hallway); &  2) not enough bed space, especially in a roomette.  Maybe I don't have that much "train time" as some of you, so I might not have seen it, but, seriously....????  :eek:

As stated in my first thread since I returned here to AU, (Predicting a Consist), I always picked "D" for southern travel and "E" for northern on the Auto Train, as knowing the sofa would face that direction of travel was reasonably reliable.  Sadly it is not on other trains. 

I've only had one trip where there were odor problems.  It was not confined to any one room, the whole car stunk.  I was told that the external air intake for the AC was sucking in vented gasses from the toilet system.  The SCA was spraying Febreze in the corridor and appeared to be trying to have maintenance performed during crew change stops.  He got a tip and a nice letter to management.  I ended up getting a nice voucher.  So in my experience, when the car stinks the whole car stinks.
We noticed the foul air on the Capital Limited from time to time in the bedroom this summer and were told the same thing by the SCA.

We noticed the foul air on the Capital Limited from time to time in the bedroom this summer and were told the same thing by the SCA.
Thanks y’all! That helps with planning. It also jives with what I saw in FTW where the whole system hadn’t been serviced in LAX before departure and the whole car smelling the issue for the whole trip. 

Whichever room your decide, I'd prefer a bedroom in the 2902 car since the sleepers are currently on the head end and it is farthest away from the engines.

Whatever they're calling it.  I don' think the Cap has a "sleeper' lounge. I think it has a cross country cafe and a sightseer lounge, which is available to all riders.

Bring shims to jam into the rattling door.  They work.  For sound transfer, I use gaffers tape to tape along all seams of the door, including the floor.  Helps a lot.  

Whatever they're calling it.  I don' think the Cap has a "sleeper' lounge. I think it has a cross country cafe and a sightseer lounge, which is available to all riders.
I am almost certainly misunderstanding what you're saying, so forgive me, but the Cap's CCC is exclusive to sleeper passengers. The SSL is of course available to all riders.

I am almost certainly misunderstanding what you're saying, so forgive me, but the Cap's CCC is exclusive to sleeper passengers. The SSL is of course available to all riders.
So, the cross country cafe is no longer the cross country cafe on the Capitol because it is called a sleeper lounge? The Lake Shore is cut and dry since it is quite clear is NOT a dining car.

I'm getting tired of all of these different names and classifications for a car.

At this point, my mentality is that of Railiner (read this thread):

Any diffrence between Café and Lounge?

Thank you for the clarification, Cpotisch.

banghead.gif~c200

Last edited by a moderator:
So, the cross country cafe is no longer the cross country cafe on the Capitol because it is called a sleeper lounge? The Lake Shore is cut and dry since it is quite clear is NOT a dining car.

I'm getting tired of all of these different names and classifications for a car.

At this point, my mentality is that of Railiner (read this thread):

Any diffrence between Café and Lounge?

Thank you for the clarification, Cpotisch.

banghead.gif~c200
Interestingly, Amtrak actually never officially said that the Capitol used a CCC. According to Amtrak.com (both before and after the switch to boxed meals), the CONO and Eagle are the only routes with Cross Country Cafes.

I guess it's just another mystery of Amtrak.com, like how the official Lake Shore Limited route page is apparently of the opinion that the LSL doesn't serve Rhinecliff.  :help: lsl.png

And closest to the diner Sleeper Lounge, right?
Sleeper 2901 is the farthest from the engines and adjacent to the dining car now used as a sleeper passenger lounge - not 2902 which would actually be closest to the engine next to the transition dorm sleeper and farther from the dining sleeper lounge.  You have to walk through 2901 to get to the dining lounge if you are in 2902.  This is if the sleepers are in the front of the consist. Sometimes they are at the end of the consist and 2902 would be the last car in the consist. Ahead of it would be the 2901 car and then the dining lounge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back