Winter Storm Diego Disruptions (East 12/8-12/11)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
I thought I posted this before but it seems as if it didn't make it to the website.

At any rate, Service Canceled in Advance of Severe Weather: Operations south of Washington, D.C., impacted

December 07, 2018 04:00 PM ET

Service Canceled in Advance of Severe Weather: Operations south of Washington, D.C., impacted

Dec. 7, 2018

4 p.m. ET

Due to a winter storm expected to impact Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina, Amtrak is canceling trains and modifying service beginning Saturday, Dec. 8, through Tuesday, Dec. 11. For the safety of our customers and employees, the operating plan for service will be adjusted, as follows:

The Crescent 20 (New Orleans – New York) is canceled on Saturday, Dec. 8.

The Cardinal 50 (Chicago - New York) will operate Chicago to Indianapolis on Saturday, Dec. 8.

The Silver Star 92 (Miami - New York) will operate Miami to Jacksonville, Fla., on Saturday, Dec. 8, and Sunday, Dec. 9.

Northeast Regional 145 (New York to Roanoke, Va.) will operate New York to Washington, D.C., on Sunday, Dec. 9.

The following trains are canceled for Sunday, Dec. 9:

• Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va. – Sanford, Fla.)

• Crescent 19 & 20 (New York – New Orleans)

• Silver Meteor 97 & 98 (Miami – New York)

• Carolinian 79 & 80 (New York – Charlotte)

• Piedmont 73/74, 75/76, 77/78 (Raleigh – Charlotte)

The Crescent 19 (New York – New Orleans) is canceled on Monday, Dec. 10

The Silver Star 91 (New York – Miami) will operate from Jacksonville, Fla., to Miami on Monday, Dec. 10, and Tuesday, Dec. 11.

Northeast Regional 176 (Roanoke, Va., – New York) will operate Washington, D.C., to New York on Monday, Dec. 10.

The Cardinal 51 (New York – Chicago) will operate Indianapolis to Chicago on Monday, Dec. 10

Bus transportation will not be provided for trains operating on modified service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly this is an inside joke from before I joined, so would it be imprudent for me to ask what it is?
I attempted to quote the whole exchange but the new software  seems to limit previous multi quotes in one post. I guess. So, basically start from here and read the next 11 posts.

I attempted to quote the whole exchange but the new software  seems to limit previous multi quotes in one post. I guess. So, basically start from here and read the next 11 posts.
Thank you muchly. I did laugh at loud at quite a few of those posts (and suggestions). :giggle:

• Silver Meteor 97 & 98 (Miami – New York)
This cancellation worries me.  I chose Amtrak to get from Washington to Fort Lauderdale on December 26th because I thought if there were weather issues it would be a better alternative than flying or driving.  Now, I have another travel concern about which to worry.  (I do have travel insurance for my trip/cruise, but I really don't want to file a claim after missing my ship.)

Thanks. Inadvertently started another post, and get the idea AMTRAK communication isn’t always ... reliable. Supposed to be on 92 to NYC on Wednesday from Tampa. Based on the 4 p.m. statement, it is not canceled, yet they’ve canceled the Southbound 91 from NYC departing on both Monday and Tuesday. I find this mysterious, and as I was told: it may or not be running. 

Thanks for the link. Helpful this morning trying to figure out whether to drive into Asheville for work....

Unusual pattern for around here: In the mountains west of Asheville, near Tennessee, we usually get more snow than A'ville. This time it's the other way around. Black Mountain (just east of Asheville) reportedly had 17" as of 8PM last night. Up here we've got about half that. Looks like the north-central part of NC and south-central part of VA got the worst of it.

Thanks. Inadvertently started another post, and get the idea AMTRAK communication isn’t always ... reliable. Supposed to be on 92 to NYC on Wednesday from Tampa. Based on the 4 p.m. statement, it is not canceled, yet they’ve canceled the Southbound 91 from NYC departing on both Monday and Tuesday. I find this mysterious, and as I was told: it may or not be running. 
Why is this mysterious? The 92 of Monday turns to 91 of Wednesday. There is no consist available in NY to run a 91 on Tuesday. Tuesday’s 91 has no impact on Wednesday’s 92 out of Tampa. It turns to 92 of Thursday. The consist for Tuesday’s 92 is presumably stabled in Hialeah over this outage. 

Back