Penn Station to JFK Airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Probably asked here before but the search on this forum doesn't work too well for me.

Which is best/easiest/least effort with bags from Penn to JFK? One of the subway lines to Jamaica Station or an LIRR?

If it's an LIRR can we use our NYC Metro Cards on that system and also on the Airtrain? or do we have to buy different tickets?

Thanks as always  

The easiest way would be LIRR to Jamaica and then the AirTrain from there to your terminal. You would have to buy a separate ticket for the LIRR but you can use a metro card for the AirTrain portion. 

I recommend saving the money and just taking the A to Howard Beach, where you catch the AirTrain. It’s cheap, painless, and transfer-free. Just make sure you take one heading to Rockaway Park or Far Rockaway, as the Lefferts Boulevard trains don’t serve Howard Beach.

Probably asked here before but the search on this forum doesn't work too well for me. Which is best/easiest/least effort with bags from Penn to JFK?
Here's a link to a previous thread you started about this... 

"Best" is pretty subjective but easiest and least effort would probably be taking a cab or Uber/Lyft.  Although I've tried carrying luggage on subways before they're not really designed for it.  Not much room to put it out of the way and lots of stairs and dividers to navigate.

Here's a link to a previous thread you started about this... 

"Best" is pretty subjective but easiest and least effort would probably be taking a cab or Uber/Lyft.  Although I've tried carrying luggage on subways before they're not really designed for it.  Not much room to put it out of the way and lots of stairs and dividers to navigate.
Better memory than me, many thanks

LIRR is faster and somewhat easier from Penn Station than the subway to Jamaica than where you change to the JFK AirTrain.  It is only about 20 minutes from Penn to Jamaica, and luggage is easier to handle, particularly at off hours.  You can avoid all stairs,  there are elevators to track level at Penn from the Central Concourse on LIRR level, as well elevators from track level to the concourse at Jamaica, and the AirTrain is on the same level as the LIRR concourse at  Jamaica.

LIRR requires a separate ticket, the Metrocard isn't good on LIRR.  There are plenty of LIRR ticket kiosks as well as agents at Penn Station.

I do this with some regularity and always use LIRR.

Remember to leave $5 on your MetroCard for the JFK AirTrain, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend saving the money and just taking the A to Howard Beach, where you catch the AirTrain. It’s cheap, painless, and transfer-free. Just make sure you take one heading to Rockaway Park or Far Rockaway, as the Lefferts Boulevard trains don’t serve Howard Beach.
If you do choose the subway over the LIRR, I would recommend instead the 'E' train, which would take you from Penn Station to the same Jamaica Station complex (Sutphin Blvd.), that the LIRR goes to.

Besides a shorter ride than the 'A' train, the 'E' train uses type R-160 subway cars, which are more 'baggage friendly' than the type R-46 cars that the 'A' train uses...especially near the center of the train, where there is always a wheelchair area good for parking bags...

iirc certain LIRR TVM will let you buy the LIRR fare, with a metrocard stripe on the back that you can add the 5 dollar airtrain fare onto. hile it most certainly is cheaper to do the subway oute, LIRR allows you a much easier trip with bags, and for someone not from the city, it is much less intimidating.

OK, great information again including from the previous thread, thank you AU.

For us there were two main situations to consider. We are not travelling as light as we prefer to due to having extra clothes with, this is due to -

(1a) the posh boat we are arriving in NYC on

(1b) travelling through different climatic zones UK/winter - NYC/winter - Chicago/winter - LA/mild/winter - Denver/winter - Austin/? - Baja California/pleasant to warm

(1c)Tackling stairs with 2 bags each is not fun at any time for either of us, now for Rosie it's harder than it used to be.

From everything written here by people in the know the LIRR stands out as the best / most convenient and easy to handle with bags and we're happy to pay the premium for that convenience.

(2) It will also be during the last 2 days of a 7 week journey and we will be travel weary, that's something we've learnt in the last 5 years and convenience will have floated to the top of the priority list by then.

We have never ridden the LIRR and are interested to, there's a third reason.

Made a similar enquiry about this NYP - JFK section of the trip 21 months ago, but never got to use the information as friends very kindly decided they wanted to drive us to the airport. If we get to meet them again this time (probably not enough time?) we have banned them for offering the same again. It's a lot of effort for them coming in, collecting us from central Manhattan then out to the airport when there is perfectly good public transport.

Yes, another question.

When we arrive in NYC from the UK we have a whole day and evening there. First we'll check a bag or two through to LA for the following day's train and so will be in Penn station.

Can we pre-purchase our LIRR tickets (for when we return to NYC) 6 weeks early or are they only valid for the day of purchase?

Thanks

If you do choose the subway over the LIRR, I would recommend instead the 'E' train, which would take you from Penn Station to the same Jamaica Station complex (Sutphin Blvd.), that the LIRR goes to.

Besides a shorter ride than the 'A' train, the 'E' train uses type R-160 subway cars, which are more 'baggage friendly' than the type R-46 cars that the 'A' train uses...especially near the center of the train, where there is always a wheelchair area good for parking bags...
I disagree that they are really more “baggage-friendly”. Yes, there is a little open space at one end of each cab car, but how would putting bags there be any better than just sitting with your bags in front of you? And remember that unlike the R-160s, which just have long benches facing away from the windows, each R-46 has six pairs of two seat benches perpendicular to the window. Doesn’t make any difference from a baggage point of view, but it means that there are 24 seats in each car from where you can get a perfect view out the window. I will concede that the E is definitely faster to Sutphin than the A is to Howard Beach, but from an equipment point of view, I would go R-46 any day. :)

Yes, another question.

When we arrive in NYC from the UK we have a whole day and evening there. First we'll check a bag or two through to LA for the following day's train and so will be in Penn station.

Can we pre-purchase our LIRR tickets (for when we return to NYC) 6 weeks early or are they only valid for the day of purchase?

Thanks
You can! Just get the app, buy your tickets, and Validate them before boarding. They do check tickets on the train, while it’s on its way, so you don’t strictly have to validate them before boarding, but because your phone will need a signal to do so, it’s best to play it safe and do it shortly beforehand.

If I have significant baggage I would avoid the New York Subway like the plague and pay the extra to go LIRR to Jamaica if my starting point or destination (at least for the baggage) is close to Penn Station. If not I'd Uber it. Just saying what I would do

You can! Just get the app, buy your tickets, and Validate them before boarding. They do check tickets on the train, while it’s on its way, so you don’t strictly have to validate them before boarding, but because your phone will need a signal to do so, it’s best to play it safe and do it shortly beforehand.
Don't use a smart phone (yes I know a bit reactionary) but a good method for many I would think. As Ed says above tickets with a 60 day duration is perfect for our needs.

jis

We've decided on LIRR as it's the majority view and suits our purposes better, we're not big taxi users and have no apps for them anyway, but again a good idea for most I would think.

I disagree that they are really more “baggage-friendly”. Yes, there is a little open space at one end of each cab car, but how would putting bags there be any better than just sitting with your bags in front of you? And remember that unlike the R-160s, which just have long benches facing away from the windows, each R-46 has six pairs of two seat benches perpendicular to the window. Doesn’t make any difference from a baggage point of view, but it means that there are 24 seats in each car from where you can get a perfect view out the window. I will concede that the E is definitely faster to Sutphin than the A is to Howard Beach, but from an equipment point of view, I would go R-46 any day. :)
If you find the view from the windows of the 'E' on that route "scenic".... :wacko:    Tunnel walls between each station...

As for riding the R-46's over the R-160's, that is a whole 'nother discussion, best to avoid in this thread... ;)

I'd also echo that the LIRR to JFK is easier and out of Penn you can just take whatever train that stops at Jamaica that is leaving first (except Port Washington trains which don't stop at Jamaica.)  I use the JFK Airtrain to LIRR the few times a year I fly into JFK it's more expensive but faster and easier. 

That's pretty much it. The yellows have a city established flat rate for JFK-midtown rather than their meter  Adding tolls and gratuity, it can get pricey. That being said, it is number dependent, a group of 4 doing RR + Airtrain would be close, a couple, and The RR and Airtrain hands down. Honestly,  much of day the roads are terrible and the train is much better.

While there is a flat fare for yellow cabs JFK to Manhattan,  I don't think the reverse (Manhattan to JFK) is flat.   I think it is on the meter. 

In any case, the even if the flat fare is in effect, it is much higher with tolls and tip, around $70, than AirTrain + LIRR.

From the NYC TLC website:

To/From JFK and any location in Manhattan:

• Onscreen rate is ‘Rate #02 – JFK Airport.’
  • This is a flat fare of $52 plus tolls, the 50-cent MTA State Surcharge, the 30-cent Improvement Surcharge, and $4.50 rush hour surcharge (4 PM to 8 PM weekdays, excluding legal holidays).
  • Passenger is responsible for paying all tolls.
  • Please tip your driver for safety and good service
Way more than RR + Airtrain for a couple, a group of 4, not terrible if you are on peak fare hours.

Back