United Airlines Lithium Battery policy?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi Folks,

I am not a frequent flier, but everytime I think about a flight, the "rules" seem to change!

I found this on the United Airlines website today:

Safety notice

Effective July 9, 2018, lithium batteries that are installed in any checked or carry-on baggage must be removed by the customer. Once removed, these batteries can be transported on board. Smart bags that do not have a removable battery cannot travel on any United or United Express® flights.

I recently bought a small lightweight asus laptop, the battery is completely within the laptop.

Am I missing something???

Ed.

This is about lithium batteries that are installed in the so called "Smart Bags" to power the smartness. Basically, unless those batteries can be removed the bags are not acceptable. So if you don't have a "smart bag" you are OK to go. I am assuming that your laptop is just a normal laptop and not part of a "smart bag" of any sort. You can carry your laptop in hand baggage. If you place it in checked baggage they might get on your case, but that is a different rule, not this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your laptop is fine. No need to worry.

The rule mentioned above is mainly talking about luggage like this...

As Jis alluded there are a half dozen other rules involving the transport of lithium batteries and/or use of laptops and these rules do change over time, so if you end up flying United (or another airline) a year or two from now this advice may no longer be applicable.

1 hour ago, Devil's Advocate said:

The rule mentioned above is mainly talking about luggage like this...

What will they think of, next?

I don't think I would spring for a thousand dollars for a piece of luggage, the way they get handled... ;)

Cheers for that information, I had no idea that any luggage that contained batteries even existed, hence my confusion.

Further reading on United informs me that I can't even bring a normal carry on cabin size bag in their very cheapest seats, but just one even smaller "personal item".

Time to dig out my huge overcoat with all the "poachers pockets", methinks...

Thanks again!

Ed

Even "personal items" can be surprisingly roomy so long as you plan ahead.

91dPwgunifL._SL1500_.jpg

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G2D5MM/

If you haven't already booked your flight I'd recommend checking prices for Main Cabin Extra on AA or Comfort Plus on DL as well.

Cheers for that information, I had no idea that any luggage that contained batteries even existed, hence my confusion.

Further reading on United informs me that I can't even bring a normal carry on cabin size bag in their very cheapest seats, but just one even smaller "personal item".

Thanks again!

Ed
Yeah, it's a new (and in my opinion, dumb) trend. Some of them even contain WiFi hotspots, such that you literally have to get a cell plan for your suitcase. I don't understand why people can't just get a MiFi or use their phone's hotspot, and why people have to have a suitcase that contains a battery instead of just bringing a portable battery pack. Yet here we are.  :rolleyes:

This is about lithium batteries that are installed in the so called "Smart Bags" to power the smartness. Basically, unless those batteries can be removed the bags are not acceptable. So if you don't have a "smart bag" you are OK to go. I am assuming that your laptop is just a normal laptop and not part of a "smart bag" of any sort. You can carry your laptop in hand baggage. If you place it in checked baggage they might get on your case, but that is a different rule, not this one.
And I would never put a laptop in checked baggage.  I would hope that an exception would be made for laptops, smart phones, etc. Otherwise, we would not be able to use them in flight. And I don't know if they still make NiMH batteries for laptops anymore.

And I would never put a laptop in checked baggage.  I would hope that an exception would be made for laptops, smart phones, etc. Otherwise, we would not be able to use them in flight. And I don't know if they still make NiMH batteries for laptops anymore.
Whatever gave you the impression that laptops, smarphones or noise canceling headphones Bluetooth or otherwise, are not permitted in hand baggage? They are all allowed and you are allowed to use them all on board, except that one cannot have the regular wireless telephone connection on while in flight. You are allowed to use both WiFi and Bluetooth in the cabin.

Whatever gave you the impression that laptops, smarphones or noise canceling headphones Bluetooth or otherwise, are not permitted in hand baggage? They are all allowed and you are allowed to use them all on board, except that one cannot have the regular wireless telephone connection on while in flight. You are allowed to use both WiFi and Bluetooth in the cabin.
I was aware of all that, having flown much and having used a laptop and headphones quite a bit. But I haven't flown anywhere since 2016, and I wasn't sure if rules had changed about laptops that have Li-Po batteries, etc.  

From United Airlines:

Lithium batteries

Personal devices (except for e-cigarettes and personal vaporizers) installed with a lithium battery of less than 100 watt hours are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage. Loose lithium batteries are not permitted in checked baggage on any United flight. Each spare lithium battery in carry-on baggage must be individually protected to prevent short circuits. To do this, you can place each battery in original retail packaging, place each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch, or insulate the batteries by taping over exposed terminals. Spare batteries must not come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys or jewelry, and you should take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting pressure on the battery.

In most cases, up to two larger lithium batteries (more than 100 watt hours, but not exceeding 160 watt hours) are permitted in carry-on baggage if the terminals are properly covered or insulated. If you are traveling with a battery-operated mobility device, please see our Special Travel Needs section.

If carry-on baggage is checked at the gate, any lithium batteries and power banks must be removed.

There were some restrictions on bringing laptops, etc, as carry on items, but this was a security scare, now seemingly past...

The missing Malaysian airliner was said to be carrying a big cargo load of lithium batteries, just saying... :eek:

Not booked any flights, starting to get itchy feet again! (London to Chicago direct for £300 return in January looks good, albeit with only one carry on personal item). :D

Thanks again for all the clarifications.

Ed.

Stick with United, the pilots are so much better trained than AA or Delta. :)

(1) There were some restrictions on bringing laptops, etc, as carry on items, but this was a security scare, now seemingly past...(2) The missing Malaysian airliner was said to be carrying a big cargo load of lithium batteries, just saying... (3) Not booked any flights, starting to get itchy feet again! (London to Chicago direct for £300 return in January looks good, albeit with only one carry on personal item). Thanks again for all the clarifications. 
1. Do some more investigating and you may arrive at the conclusion that the blatantly arbitrary laptop ban was more about penalizing specific countries/carriers rather than making all passengers legitimately safer.

2.  Although an in-flight fire is both fast moving and extremely destructive it is exceedingly rare for such an event to take out an entire wide body commercial aircraft before even one single emergency transmission can be made.  If it were a fire we should have heard something.  If it were a bomb we should have found a debris field.  Controlled flight into terrain (in this case a body of water) or programmed flight until fuel exhaustion are more likely events.

3.  That price is excellent, although in the case of UA's basic economy I would expect middle seats, no legroom, minimal or nonexistent assistive/corrective options, and no luggage other than what can fit under your seat (or an enormous moochers coat). :lol:

railiner said:
Is that anecdotal, based on your opinion, or what you've heard; or do you have any evidence to support that rather strong statement?
You did not notice the smiley? He is not really making a serious statement based on any major study. Just an off the cuff non-serious remark from a United pilot. [emoji57] Lighten up man!

You did not notice the smiley? He is not really making a serious statement based on any major study. Just an off the cuff non-serious remark from a United pilot.
emoji57.png
Lighten up man!
If that's the case, I apologize....nothing wrong with "friendly rivalry".... :)

I took it as a joke myself, mainly because of the smiley face emoticon, and in my experience commercial airline pilots as a group are generally calm and deliberate with their online commentary.  That being said, I've also seen airline staff take the occasional hard swipe at each other in unfriendly terms.  Amtrak's own Richard Anderson is (in)famous for laying unfounded claims and baseless innuendo on the ME3.  I'm no fan of those carriers but I'm also not a fan of unfounded nationalistic nonsense.

Anderson’s position was particularly ridiculous because Delta deliberately chose to ignore the market where the ME3 built their business and the space where Delta has never shown any desire to be a serious contender, even from among the US3.

A little late to the show, but yes they call that "basic economy".  The big three US airlines (Delta, United, American) have instituted it.  The one common detail is that seating is not assigned until check-in, or possibly at the gate.  There are also restrictions on loyalty points, upgrades can't be applied, etc.  But one will be assigned a coach seat eventually.   American allows seat selection 48 hours before a flight, but for a fee.  Passengers also get placed in the last boarding group.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/basic-economy.aspx

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/seats/basic-economy.jsp

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/onboard-experience/basic-economy.html

I flew basic economy on Delta.  It wasn't that bad.  I was flying with a child and couldn't get 3 seats together at check-in.  However, the gate agent modified the seat assignment to place my child next to my wife.

Delta always had one included carry-on (in addition to a personal item) in basic economy fares.  American just added that.

Not sure about DL and AA but UA makes it VERY CLEAR that your in basic economy with bright orange mobile boarding passes. Some people on the airline forums have alluded to United using the bright orange as a badge of shame.  :D

Not sure about DL and AA but UA makes it VERY CLEAR that your in basic economy with bright orange mobile boarding passes. Some people on the airline forums have alluded to United using the bright orange as a badge of shame.  :D
I think someone wise enough to pay the lowest fare, should consider that a 'badge of pride', not 'shame'.....

Back