Crescent Accident in Hattiesburg MS (12/5/18)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend who was on the 90 Palmetto in June 2017 when a person was killed outside of Lorton, VA.   I was on the 83 Northeast Regional heading home to Newport News (station) from Baltimore and CSX held our train at ALX due to that incident.

Unless he was on the engine, was looking out of the window when it happened or went looking for the body, he didn't witness the event.  He heard about it. While he could have gotten PTSD while sitting on the train after he heard about, the same could apply if he wasn't on the train and read/heard about through the media.

Unless he was on the engine, was looking out of the window when it happened or went looking for the body, he didn't witness the event.  He heard about it. While he could have gotten PTSD while sitting on the train after he heard about, the same could apply if he wasn't on the train and read/heard about through the media.
I disagree 

He still would l feel train make a sudden stop may even have nightmares from knowing he was on the train that hit someone 

I was on 30 between Cleveland and Alliance.  I was just getting up to go to the bathroom.  As I was sitting on my bed the train made an emergency brake application.  I had a strange feeling we might have hit some body.  I turned on my scanner hoping that it wasn’t true.  I heard the engineer reporting a “trespasser strike” or similar words. I immediately turned the scanner off. Said a prayer for the crew and the trespasser.  I did not say anything to the other passengers or crew.  I knew that this was their business and the best way for me to help was to stay quiet and out of the way.  

We were delayed 3 hours while a replacement crew was located and transported to the train.  Both crews ended up handling things professionally.  Once the information was public knowledge I thanked each crew member I came in contact with and told them they did well and that I regretted they had to go through this.  

The event did have an effect. For a while I could hear the engineer’s voice reporting to the dispatcher in my head.  

A girlfriend of mine once told me she stopped taking the train after a train she was on hit a car at s grade crossing.  I think her first train ride after that was with me and she now routinely rides.  

"

"We were delayed 3 hours while a replacement crew was located and transported to the train.  Both crews ended up handling things professionally.  Once the information was public knowledge I thanked each crew member I came in contact with and told them they did well and that I regretted they had to go through this."

There was a similar incident on #20 last September.  My friends were on board as Trails & Rails volunteers.  The Conductor, whom I have worked with as a volunteer also and whom is very professional, noted that this had happened to her before and how unfortunate it was, but she did her job.  The crew stayed on board and finished their trip an hour or so later in Atlanta.

I have witnessed someone be hit and killed by a train before. But like ThirdRail said it was because I was in an open vestibule looking forward at the time. It's stuck with me. But I've sort of blocked it out with great effort.

Back