Checked Baggage w/ transfer at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeskierInVT

Lead Service Attendant
Hello everyone,

I will be taking the Crescent next month on a long trip back from the West Coast. I called AGR today to modify my ticket (since I used points) to add a connecting train from NYP to Kingston, RI, and was informed that since the Regional train does not have checked baggage (which I knew), I would have to carry on all my bags from NOL-NYP, as well as NYP-KIN. I have a 3+ hour layover at New York, and while the Crescent is often late, there are two later trains that evening if I missed my connection, so I'm not all that worried (Crescent is scheduled to arrive at 1:46pm, I'm booked on train 96 at 5:25pm, and there are trains to Kingston leaving NYP at 7:30pm and 9:00pm). However, I am still rather confused why I wouldn't be able to check my bag from NOL-NYP. I am travelling with skis, and they definitely would not fit in a roomette. The agent I spoke with had no suggestions except to not travel with skis (the whole point of my trip is to go skiing out west). I have no issues carrying my ski bag onto the Regional train.

Anyone have a suggestion on what I should do?

Last edited by a moderator:
They may be mistaken, I don't see why you couldn't check them to NYP and pick them up on arrival. As a same day sleeper passenger you should be able to use the Club Acela at NYP to stash your bags while waiting (unless it is closed for renovation during your trip)  If I'm wrong, Someone will almost always post a correction.

I think that you can safely ignore the phone agent in this case. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to check your baggage through to NYP with a 3 hour layover. If the Crescent really runs that late, call ahead and switch your Regional reservation to a later train.

Don't know if this works or makes things any easier for you, but if you traveled to Providence you could have your skis and/or any other bags you needed check sent up in a Regional that arrives at about 6:45am. You wouldn't have to be there to pick them up when the train arrives. There is a rather generous grace period, before a storage fee applies.

Providence could work, but parking becomes an issue. I'm driving down from Vermont on the night I depart and am planning to leave my car at Kingston where there appears to be free parking.

My trip back starts at Reno, would I be able to check my skis from Reno to Providence if my ticket is for Reno-Emeryville-San Fran (overnight) - Oakland-Los Angeles-New Orleans (overnight) - New York - Providence? If I checked them from Reno, I imagine my bags would beat me there since they'd probably go the more direct routing of Reno-Chicago-New York-Providence. 

Providence could work, but parking becomes an issue. I'm driving down from Vermont on the night I depart and am planning to leave my car at Kingston where there appears to be free parking.

My trip back starts at Reno, would I be able to check my skis from Reno to Providence if my ticket is for Reno-Emeryville-San Fran (overnight) - Oakland-Los Angeles-New Orleans (overnight) - New York - Providence? If I checked them from Reno, I imagine my bags would beat me there since they'd probably go the more direct routing of Reno-Chicago-New York-Providence. 
Correct. You can check bags between any two stations that offer it, even if the train you are ticketed on does not. And in this case, your bags will almost certainly arrive in PVD multiple days before you.

Don't know if this works or makes things any easier for you, but if you traveled to Providence you could have your skis and/or any other bags you needed check sent up in a Regional that arrives at about 6:45am. You wouldn't have to be there to pick them up when the train arrives. There is a rather generous grace period, before a storage fee applies.
I do something like that every year for my New England ski /snowshoe trip.  I ride the Acela, no checked baggage, but I  have skis and a large gear duffle.  No problem, I  check them 2 days in advance.  I also go to the ticket agent and use my upgrade coupon.  The bags get to Boston the day before I do, and they're waiting for me when I arrive.  Same thing on the way back.  I check my bags first thing, and they get home even if I'm not riding 67, which is the only southbound NE Regional with baggage service.

Same thing if I'm going out west. I can check bags through from Baltimore even though my connection to the Capitol Limited is with a regional train that has no baggage car.  I might have to check my bags earlier in the day so they can be loaded on the Palmetto or Carolinian for the connecting ride, or check them the day before, but I can check them through. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We have checked bags NOL to NYP without any problem when we were booked NOL to Boston South Station.  We picked up the bags at NYP, went to the lounge (we were sleeping car passengers on the Crescent) and then boarded a regional to Boston.  This was about five or six years ago and there was no problem then. 

Back