CONO last night New Orleans-Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatcats

Engineer
Here are my musings on last night’s trip, which was OK in some respects and sad in other ways. I had been in New Orleans for 6 days at the National Association for Interpretation National Conference ( meaning park guiding topics ) and had flown Southwest from Phoenix to New Orleans. It is way to cumbersome to try and reach New Orleans from Flagstaff by train.

After attending the morning service at Christ Church Episcopal Cathedral on St. Charles Avenue, I ordered a Lyft to go to the train. While I really like those Perley Thomas streetcars, they were crowded and heaving my luggage was less preferable than a door to door trip in an Infiniti. The New Orleans Terminal, while not exactly a grand building, is clean and well maintained, shared with Greyhound and Megabus. Our seven car train left on time, a dorm-sleeper, sleeper, CCC diner, Sightseer lounge, and three coaches. A sizable crowd boarded at New Orleans and many people seemed to be fairly local, having taken the train from Mississippi or Memphis for the weekend. The ride through the marshes and west side of Lake Ponchartrain kept my interest.

I had a good opinion of the two folks providing food service, Enrique and Alice - really nice people. SInce I was in coach, Alice suggested I come at 7 pm, which was fine with me. Having had dinners that week at such famous places like K-Paul’s Louisiana Kitchen and the famous Antoine’s, I knew I would not be in for fabulous cuisine, having heard many negatives about the food on this train. But, I wanted to see how good or bad it is. Now, I am not complaining, as I had used miles for this trip and was getting a free coach trip, and I could see what the prices were: 2.25 for iced tea ( OK ) $22.75 for the Asian Noodle dish ( outrageous ) and $6.50 for the cheesecake, which was a commercial creation but of OK quality. The noodle dish was actually pretty good, but the total bill for this was $31.50 and I did leave a tip. This is not good value. The management will tell us that they need to cover costs, blah blah blah. But this is not very good dining. No salads or soups are available. ( and no alcohol this night, as it cannot be served on Sunday in Mississippi. ) I would have received better value for more money had I arranged a takeout order from Antoine’s! Only two other people were in the dining end of the car at 7pm - she apparently had been busier earlier, starting at 4 pm. As a coach passenger, I tried the offerings, but would hesitate to pay that much money again for such mediocrity.

It turns out that the lower level of the Sightseer car is closed. I had used the rest room in the afternoon - nobody down there, with closed up snack bar - and this morning went down there to be chased out by the train crew. It turns out that this is their office. Yes, there are signs, which I had not noticed. All that empty space riding around the country put to no use. Rather sorry.

One of the good features was that my coach car upstairs was clean, comfortable, and at a proper temperature. I did get several hours of sleep, but was awake at the 3am stop at Carbondale. The coach attendant was a nice lady, but she could have taken better care of the rest rooms. I went in one of them to find two rolls of toilet paper, but a leather seat cover which did not raise and the flush button removed. Strange.

Arrival in Chicago was 40 minutes early, backing in. Overall, this train did a fairly efficient and comfortable job of transporting me 934 miles. I would term it one step above a bus trip - more spacious and comfortable, but with a minimum of amenities, which as we know have declined drastically, due to the wisdom of the management. Friday will return to Phoenix on Southwest - they are not exactly elegant but do a good job for the type of operation they are.

Sorry to hear yet another sad tale of the CONO’s food service. It’s just the combination of the absurd prices, limited selection, and extraordinarily mediocre quality and flavor. This is probably the one train where “Fresh Choices” would be an improvement. :(

Thank you so much for sharing though!

Hi,

Nice to see your post, you seem to have cut back a lot on your train trips recently?

Prices in the diner for most coach seat passengers are simply too steep. I use the diners, but only when in sleeper class.

Is it that there is now no snack bar option at all on the CONO, or was it just closed for the attendant's break?

Ed.

Hi Ed.  The snack bar is in one end of the CCC dining car serving area.   The “ elegant meals “ are served from the other end.  And the lower level of the Sightseer car is a huge crew office.  Go Anderson! ( although I don’t think he designed this current arrangement. )

Is it that there is now no snack bar option at all on the CONO, or was it just closed for the attendant's break?

Ed.
The CONO has a Cross Country Cafe instead of a standard Superliner diner, so they just sell snacks and stuff out of the lounge end of the CCC so that they don’t have to man the SSL.

EDIT: Damn. greatcats beat me to it by a like a millisecond. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I rode #58 northbound in October. Nice trip with an on-time departure from NOL and arriving in CHI 24 minutes early. We traveled in a bedroom - our SCA did a good job. Overall, OK with the overnight journey. 

As for menu, we knew what we were getting into on the CONO and our thoughts echo those above. We, like a lot of you, are accomsted to the regular menu offerings on the long distance trains.   Although not a vegetarian, I had the Vegetarian Rigatoni Pasta and was mildly surprised at the taste and was somewhat satisfied with my selection. I believe my wife had the Mediterranean Chicken and was OK with that. Breakfast...nothing to see here folks. The Marketplace Hot Breakfast Sandwich was pretty basic...right out of the microwave! It was an Egg McMuffin without the egg and on a biscuit. 

The "exciting" part was while traveling through Mississippi at 70+ MPH and having the air hose part. It came "uncoupled" between our sleeper and the transdorm immediately ahead of us. A "whoosh" of air and we rapidly came to a safe stop. The first words out of the engineer's mouth (over the scanner) was, "It wasn't me!". The crew walked the train, found the parted hose and reconnected it. After recovering air pressure and performing a standing air test we got underway, performed a running air test and continued to northbound without further incident.

The CONO was simply a way to complete the middle section of a 5500 mile loop out of Los Angeles.

So is the CONO the only train that handles the CCC this way? Because the Texas Eagle gets the CCC also, but when I rode it this last summer the cafe in the SSL was open. 
Currently, yes. The Capitol also has a CCC (though they don’t advertise it) and before they instated “Contemporary Dining” in June, snacks were served out of the lounge end of the CCC, and the lower level of the SSL was completely closed off. Upon instating Contemporary Dining in June, they moved snack sales to the lower level of the SSL and made the CCC exclusive to sleeper passengers.

Currently, yes. The Capitol also has a CCC (though they don’t advertise it) and before they instated “Contemporary Dining” in June, snacks were served out of the lounge end of the CCC, and the lower level of the SSL was completely closed off. Upon instating Contemporary Dining in June, they moved snack sales to the lower level of the SSL and made the CCC exclusive to sleeper passengers.
Interesting. I wonder what the setups will be next September for my trips, especially the TE. I imagine the longer LD trains will be status quo, but who knows. <_<

Sorry to hear yet another sad tale of the CONO’s food service. It’s just the combination of the absurd prices, limited selection, and extraordinarily mediocre quality and flavor. This is probably the one train where “Fresh Choices” would be an improvement. [emoji20]
Thank you so much for sharing though!
Having had both the “Fresh Choices” and the food on the CONO, I would have to disagree with you. While I wouldn’t buy the food if I were not in a sleeper, it is definitely better than “Fresh Choices”. Including the breakfast sandwich on the CONO.

Having had both the “Fresh Choices” and the food on the CONO, I would have to disagree with you. While I wouldn’t buy the food if I were not in a sleeper, it is definitely better than “Fresh Choices”. Including the breakfast sandwich on the CONO.
Other than a coffee and pound cake, I skipped breakfast on the train and had a superior meal at my hotel. The noodle dish that Inhad for dinner wasn’t bad/ just the price tag.

Other than a coffee and pound cake, I skipped breakfast on the train and had a superior meal at my hotel. The noodle dish that Inhad for dinner wasn’t bad/ just the price tag.
I don’t doubt that at all. One gets into Chicago early enough to just get coffee/ tea on the train and then get breakfast in Chicago.

The same goes for anyone on the Meteor going to DC on 98, while you get a good breakfast on the train, I have no doubt one can get a better one once you disembark at one of the many hotels and restaurants.

Back