Roomette 'flash sale' (ended December 11)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratkinson

Conductor
Per the RPA web site (formerly known as NARP), the current news letter indicates there will be a 'flash' sale of roomettes starting next Tuesday the 4th.  The 'deal' is that companions ride free for trips between Jan 7 and May 23 2019...Auto train is exempted.  Also,  it can't be upgraded to a bedroom.

Here's the link to the RPA news letter:  RPA Hotline #1094

Same here, planning a trip for July. :( Makes sense to do the sale in the date range they have though, as it's usually the lowest traffic time of the year.

Not a huge discount it’s more linguistics. A savings none the less. The first person pays for the whole roomette and their rail fare. The second person gets free rail fare. 
But the 2nd person gets the other perks of being a sleeper pax, like meals included, use of premium station lounges where they exist, etc.....correct?

I’ve already booked a roomette for that time. There will be two of us. Should I call in and see if they can give me a voucher for the difference in price or am I outta luck?

I’ve already booked a roomette for that time. There will be two of us. Should I call in and see if they can give me a voucher for the difference in price or am I outta luck?
Can't hurt to try.  Depending on your cash flow situation, you could always book the "new" reservation and then "change" the old one.  Some members have reported success getting a full refund on the balance if done pursuant to a "change" instead of a "cancellation" (even if the "change" involved different trains on another route three months off).  I'd advise booking the replacement (if you can) so you're not out space, then trying to change the initial reservation (and if you fail, you can nix the "new" reservation within 24 hours).

Once the deal actually starts, I would definitely recommend doing that, as I think it’s highly likely that they’d allow it. However if the price for the roomette itself has gone up since you booked, there might not be any savings to be had.

Can't hurt to try.  Depending on your cash flow situation, you could always book the "new" reservation and then "change" the old one.  Some members have reported success getting a full refund on the balance if done pursuant to a "change" instead of a "cancellation" (even if the "change" involved different trains on another route three months off).  I'd advise booking the replacement (if you can) so you're not out space, then trying to change the initial reservation (and if you fail, you can nix the "new" reservation within 24 hours).
I wouldn’t do that, since they’d then have to cancel one of those tickets, which would incur a 20% fee. Modifying a sleeper reservation to the lower fare gets you the full price difference back as an e-voucher, but cancellations incur a fee.

Any idea if this deal will also be valid when booking on points or just cash?
The RPA site preview doesn't say one way or the other regarding a purchase with points.  So, until Tuesday, it would be 100% speculation of whether the purchase can be made with points.

I just snaged a room on the cardinal from Newark NJ to chicago, then a room on the LSL back to NYC. I"m optimistic about the food on the cardinal, anyone else eaten on it or a train with one of these "diner-lights"?

Here is a question: I am taking a trip in January with my cousin and he is eight. In order to take advantage of the sale, it must be an adult fare. Would they allow him to travel on an adult fare ticket as long as he is accompanied by myself, an adult?

I just snaged a room on the cardinal from Newark NJ to chicago, then a room on the LSL back to NYC. I"m optimistic about the food on the cardinal, anyone else eaten on it or a train with one of these "diner-lights"?
It’s a diner-lite, and the general consensus seems to be that it’s very mediocre, but better than nothing and satisfactory for a one night trip.

Back