Breakfast and the time to Arise on #98 arriving in Washington

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota 400

Engineer
Watching this train's performance over many months. the Silver Meteor's time of arrival at Washington varies considerably.  Sometimes early, sometimes close to on time, sometimes late, sometimes very late.

How is a sleeping car passenger to know?  If the train seems to be running late when I retire for the night,  makes up time while I would be asleep,  maybe on time, maybe somewhat late as it approaches Washington.  How does one deal with this situation?

I have learned that the Dining Car does not open for Breakfast until 6:30 A.M.  It would be foolish to try to use that service if the train's arrival time would be close to their opening time.

I'd prefer not having to arise too early if the train is running late.  But, I want the proper amount of time to shower and get dressed without being rushed.  Having the time to enjoy a breakfast in the Dining Car would be a plus!

Suggestions and advice are appreciated. 

A few weeks ago, I was on 98 to WAS.  We were running early, so I assumed we would arrive in WAS and planned to wake up around 5:30.  At first it did not look like I would get breakfast, but it turns out, I did.  I got into the dining car around 6:25 and got served.  Some crews will start early and some crews will not even open up if running early.

If you want breakfast and you are running less than an hour late when you go to bed, plan on waking up very early.  

Your attendant will wake you up if you are not already awake about 30-40 minutes prior to arrival in WAS.

I have been on 98 when it looked certain we would arrive around 6:40 and the dining car did not open up.  Then we got stuck a few minutes outside DC and dwelled.  The dining car opened, but I would not have had time to eat.  My marvelous SCA got me an order to go and I ate it in the Food Court (sitting with Ryan who was on his way to work and stopped in Union Station to say hi).

Life is full of unknowns - why should a train ride be any different?
&

"The best surprise is no surprise"...Holiday Inn slogan, circa 1980.
"If you can't be fast at least be dependable." 

One of the most remarkable things about riding passenger trains in other industrialized countries is how unremarkable the experience has become.  The trains leave on time, operate the path and schedule originally planned, and arrive at the correct destination on time.  That may not be the most interesting experience for a gap year student or joyriding pensioner but it's great for working age folks who have schedules to keep.  Riding Amtrak can be a genuine adventure but most of the time I just want to get where I'm going with a minimum of fuss and as few variables as possible.  If I wanted an unpredictable experience full of arbitrary randomness I'd buy a ticket from Dr. Seuss. :lol:

If I wanted an unpredictable experience full of arbitrary randomness I'd buy a ticket from Dr. Seuss. :lol:
Careful, now...some folks might think they could improve the Amtrak experience by retheming it after Dr. Seuss! "Hello, welcome aboard Tic Tac Trac! Did you rest well in your slip sloop sleeper? How about some green eggs and ham for breakfast?"

A few weeks ago, I was on 98 to WAS.  We were running early, so I assumed we would arrive in WAS and planned to wake up around 5:30.  At first it did not look like I would get breakfast, but it turns out, I did.  I got into the dining car around 6:25 and got served.  Some crews will start early and some crews will not even open up if running early.
Why would they not open?  Is the diner usually closed while the train is in a station? Is there a crew change at Washington?

Thanks to all who replied to my question.  I think I will simply plan on rising early regardless of whether the train is running late or not when I go to bed.

Will the SCA return the roomette to day time use on his/her own or will I have to summon him/her?   I expect to take a shower after getting up.  Since the SCA's room is across from the shower, I would hope that that person would know that someone was up and about.

Thanks to all who replied to my question.  I think I will simply plan on rising early regardless of whether the train is running late or not when I go to bed. Will the SCA return the roomette to day time use on his/her own or will I have to summon him/her?   I expect to take a shower after getting up.  Since the SCA's room is across from the shower, I would hope that that person would know that someone was up and about.
My suggestion is to simply inform your SCA what you want to happen.  If you want to be woken up at X time before Y location let them know.  If you want the room made up while you shower let them know that as well.  Each SCA is different but in general they've typically done this sort of thing for me in the past.

I am on the SIlver Meteor right now and I overheard a WAS passenger ask the LSA about breakfast in the morning.  The LSA's response was that it depends on when we arrive in WAS.  Right now we are running on time (or early), BUT, we are still in Florida, and a lot can happen in the next 4 States.

I shower the night before, never plan to eat breakfast and ask my attendant to wake me 60 minutes prior to arrival. If we are late I have  breakfast in the diner and if on time there are many places to enjoy breakfast in WAS.

My suggestion is to simply inform your SCA what you want to happen.  If you want to be woken up at X time before Y location let them know.  If you want the room made up while you shower let them know that as well.  Each SCA is different but in general they've typically done this sort of thing for me in the past.

Many thanks for your suggestion!  I will do as you recommend.  I doubt that I will need a wake-up call inasmuch as I am a light sleeper usually.  But, I would like my roomette to be returned to day time use after rising.  Makes it easier to dress and to be more comfortable while awaiting to arrive at my destination.  I don't want to be "one of those passengers who are a nuisance" in the opinion of my SCA.

I just arrived in WAS on 98.  When I awoke at 5:30, it was estimated that the train would arrive in WAS around 6:43.  I made the assumption that I would have enough time for breakfast and planned accordingly.  I proceeded to get ready, pack and share texts with my friend Shanghai.  I went to the dining car at 6:25 (just in case they would seat me early and they did).  I had plenty of time to finish breakfast before arriving in WAS at 6:56.  I would have had more time if I had not spent a considerable amount of time talking to my tablemates who were on their first Amtrak trip and were traveling cross country to EMY.  While I was in the dining car, my SCA came in and asked me if I wanted him to make up my room while I was at breakfast.  I told him it was not necessary since I knew I did not need to do anything more in preparation to detrain.

Of course every dining crew is different and every SCA is different.

pennyk,

Your posts have been very informative and helpful!  Thank you.
Thank you.  I am on 29 now with very poor cell coverage.  I am enjoying my complementary half bottle of wine.  :)

I have never had a problem having breakfast on the 98 before Wash DC but then I am an early riser and always get in the Diner early.

Back