Chicago to Tucson?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul CHI

Service Attendant
If I book CHI-TUS in a roomette on the Texas Eagle, is it possible to avoid changing trains to the Sunset Limited/  i/e/ does the sleeper just get transferred so we can stay on board?

If you book the 421 sleeper (NOT the 21), that physical car will be switched to the Sunset Limited in San Antonio - no need for you to de-train and re-board. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be aware, when trip planning, that just like the Sunset Limited it's being switched to / from, the 421 sleeper and its eastbound 422 companion only run three days a week each way. If the 421 doesn't show as available, you've picked the wrong day (most likely).

If I book CHI-TUS in a roomette on the Texas Eagle, is it possible to avoid changing trains to the Sunset Limited/  i/e/ does the sleeper just get transferred so we can stay on board?
If you book train 421/422, you don’t have to transfer yourself. 21/22 refers to the standard daily CHI-SAS Texas Eagle, while 421/422 refers to the CHI-LAX sleeper and coach transferred between the TE and Sunset thrice weekly, so that passengers don’t have to transfer. 

If you book train 421 westbound or train 422 eastbound, the sleeper will be automatically switched in San Antonio. But if you book 21 to 1 or 2 to 22, you must get off at San Antonio and wait until general boarding of the next train. (For train 22, that is at least 6:30 am!)

If you book train 421 westbound or train 422 eastbound, the sleeper will be automatically switched in San Antonio. But if you book 21 to 1 or 2 to 22, you must get off at San Antonio and wait until general boarding of the next train. (For train 22, that is at least 6:30 am!)
Just to clarify this, you need to make sure you’re booked on 421 or 422 the entire way. If you’r booked on 21 to San Antonio and then 421 to Tucson, you will have to switch. If you’re booked on 421 to San Antonio and then 1 to Tucson, you will have to switch. It has to be 421 or 422 the WHOLE WAY.

Back