Meals for sleeper passengers (what is included?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelkfla

Engineer
I was looking over the Silver Meteor menu online, and just wondering what's included in meals for sleeping car passengers.

Are extra-cost options, like cheese & bacon on the burger, included?

Are breakfast sides, like bacon, included for all breakfast selections?

Is dessert included at both lunch & dinner?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Extras, sides, and dessert are all included with your meal. Yes, you can have dessert at both lunch and dinner.

You only have to bring out your wallet if you plan to purchase alcohol. Non-alcoholic beverages are included with the meal.

You can also get your "refill" to-go. I sometimes drink a soda with lunch and then ask for a can to bring back to my room. They simply check the "refill" box on the form and hand me the can of soda. :)

Extras, sides, and dessert are all included with your meal. Yes, you can have dessert at both lunch and dinner.

You only have to bring out your wallet if you plan to purchase alcohol. Non-alcoholic beverages are included with the meal.

You can also get your "refill" to-go. I sometimes drink a soda with lunch and then ask for a can to bring back to my room. They simply check the "refill" box on the form and hand me the can of soda. :)
Thanks, sounds good. Looking forward to my trip next Wednesday.

I've eaten dinner on a dinner twice, once about 3 years ago on the crescent which was pretty good if memory serves. Then again on 97 last week... for my 2 cents the food was very good. I had the stake, it was cooked as I asked and was good decpite being a cut not the easiest to prepare. I had the "flowerless cake" it had the consistancy of a slightly undercooked brownie.. but was delcious. Neither my travel companion nor our 2 seat mates had much negative to say. 

So I guess what I have to add is to someone who hasn't been threw these changes so closley as many here, the foods not bad. 
By "boxed lunch" are you guys litterly saying the food served at lunch is in a box or...? I only stayed on in time for dinner.

Interesting but irrelevant. The menus specially say side salads are free for sleeping car passengers but no other notations for deserts, bacon, guacamole, etc. Obviously everything’s free except alcohol. That just caught my eye as weird.

They should have it say “All items except alcohol complementary for sleeping car guests”. Free subliminal advertising for the few coach passengers that spend $100 plus in the diner over the course of a trip. Maybe next time we should look into a sleeper kinda thing..

E07F5845-0FA7-4782-9861-D73902D93985.png

Things included with meals for sleeping car passengers:

• Breakfast - 1 main entree,  juice if desired, cheese on omelette if desired, bacon or sausage if desired, drink (coffee, tea, soda)
  • Lunch - 1 main entree, bacon and/or cheese on your burger if desired, drink, dessert
  • Dinner - 1 main entree, side salad if requested (although mainly brought automatically), drink, dessert
You only have to pay for an alcoholic beverages (if you have any) and a tip (if you wish to leave one).

.You may.chose any entree for that meal. It doesn’t matter if the menu price is $7 or $25. The same thing with desserts.

So, they stopped the "one can only" rule?   Glad they did!
It likely depends on the server. Perhaps mine used the “refill” box to skirt around it.

That said, I’ve never been told “one can only”, even when I ask for a normal refill at the table.

You can also have juice at breakfast in addition to coffee, tea or milk. I've even seen a passenger request tomato juice and be given a can of Bloody Mary mix (with no alcohol, of course). Your Mileage May Vary.

I was looking over the Silver Meteor menu online, and just wondering what's included in meals for sleeping car passengers.

Are extra-cost options, like cheese & bacon on the burger, included?

Are breakfast sides, like bacon, included for all breakfast selections?

Is dessert included at both lunch & dinner?

Thanks.
In order: yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Side salads are free at lunch and dinner, soft drinks are free for all meals, breakfast sides are free,   toppings are free, and one of any entree is also free (you have to pay if you want another). Put simply, basically anything on the menu, without alcohol, is included.  :)

So, they stopped the "one can only" rule?   Glad they did!
I can usually get anything mentioned in this thread included with my sleeper ticket with no questions asked, but every once in a while a second drink or an extra topping/side/condiment is randomly moved into the paid/unavailable column.  Doesn't seem to be based on an actual rule so much as a server's personality and disposition.

I can usually get anything mentioned in this thread included with my sleeper ticket with no questions asked, but every once in a while a second drink or an extra topping/side/condiment is randomly moved into the paid/unavailable column.  Doesn't seem to be based on an actual rule so much as a server's personality and disposition.
Pretty sure it's suppose to be up to 3 beverages per meal, for sleepers. Whether they're refills or not. I'll have to consult my Amtrak bible and check back in later.

Pretty sure it's suppose to be up to 3 beverages per meal, for sleepers. Whether they're refills or not. I'll have to consult my Amtrak bible and check back in later.
But coffee is unlimited in the sleeper car, right?

Is bottled water also unlimited? Will the attendant provide soft drinks on request?

Soft drinks in the sleepers got cut around the same time the the hot chocolate chip evening/before bed cookies got cut.

Too bad the cookies were better then any of the current deserts. 5-10 years ago? Definitely would be smart to bring the cookies back, it was a nice touch and cheap. Maybe cost Amtrak 20 cents tops. The labor is already on board. Pop them in the oven 10 mins.

Tipping has not been stressed in this thread. The tip should be based on the total of all menu items you had, plus alcohol. Unfortunately I've seen too many sleeper pax assume no tip necessary because they didn't pay for the meal. That's not fair to the staff. They work just as hard, sleeper or coach. 

Is bottled water also unlimited? Will the attendant provide soft drinks on request?
Coffee is unlimited, only up until whatever the allotted time is. The attendant may have it ready all day, but technically they're not suppose to. As far as water goes, I honestly couldn't tell you, as I don't work the sleepers. I would have to reference the book on that as well, but I'm sure others will be more than happy to chime in with their experiences.

My personal experience (so not universal or official in any way) years back more bottles were left in the room at origin, and often at the coffee station. Now I see 2 in the room at origin, and the attendants have either said "let me know if you need more" or some will stash a case where we could get at it if needed. I've never experienced a cut off or quota, but it has been a bit more under control. I used to see people stuffing extra bottles in their bags pretty regularly, I think that's less common now.

Tipping has not been stressed in this thread. The tip should be based on the total of all menu items you had, plus alcohol. Unfortunately I've seen too many sleeper pax assume no tip necessary because they didn't pay for the meal. That's not fair to the staff. They work just as hard, sleeper or coach. 
Amtrak OBS enjoy better employment benefits and worker protections than 90% of working class Americans.  They are also paid more than the vast majority of the front line service industry.  It's true that they work longer hours but they also enjoy longer downtime periods as well.  There are still good reasons to tip Amtrak staff, in much the same way that you might take an extremely well compensated manager out for lunch on boss' day, but "fairness" has little if anything to do with it.

Amtrak OBS enjoy better employment benefits and worker protections than 90% of working class Americans.  They are also paid more than the vast majority of the front line service industry.  It's true that they work longer hours but they also enjoy longer downtime periods as well.  There are still good reasons to tip Amtrak staff despite this imbalance, but "fairness" has little if anything to do with it.
Agreed. This is one of the few service industry positions in the United States where you tip to recognize and reward professional service, not to make up for a skinflint employer who pays only slave wages.

There’s a self serve beverage stand at the end each sleeper, which usually has ice, a few different kinds of juice, and a big coffee pot typically only filled in the morning. As to water, they almost always put one or two bottles in each room before the respective occupants board, and you can just ask the attendant for more.

Since the OP referenced a booking on the SM, which uses VL sleepers,  as CP indicates there may be ice at the coffee station, for folks reading this who are less familiar, be aware that on trains using SL sleepers, that is unlikely, it is normally ice on request. This has been discussed numerous times at length, if curious, use search to look at the seemingly endless references to the ice topic in the past......

There’s a self serve beverage stand at the end each sleeper, which usually has ice, a few different kinds of juice, and a big coffee pot typically only filled in the morning. As to water, they almost always put one or two bottles in each room before the respective occupants board, and you can just ask the attendant for more.
Is there hot potable water, for making my own tea and instant coffee?  All day, or just mornings?

Back