Strange Chicago Yard moves

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frequentflyer

Conductor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrQ3hw6Zv-I

(above live video goes away on the 30th)

Other than seeing the normal Metra and Amtrak trains, one gets to see the Y moves of regional and LD trains. But why do you see Amtrak back up and pull forward, only to see the consist back up again in view and pull forward again?

And what's the speed on that turn to CHI? The Amtrak trains taking the Skyline are zipping along going backwards into and from the station.

Why back up so far from the switch to Y the train?

Thank you in advance to those who know the answers.

As someone who has ridden too many of these LD wye moves in confused as to what you are asking.

Are you saying it shoves by the camera out of view. Then pulls forward? Or are you saying after the forward it shoves back again? In all my times riding the wye we've never went backward-forward-backward-forward-backward.

If you can rephrase the question I can probably help you as someone who has ridden the move.

As far as the speed I want to say that curve is speed restricted to twenty MPH but I don't know because I don't run trains for a living so it's not of my concern at the time. My concern at the time is how soon can they get us up on ground power, how soon to the PV track, and how fast I can get to eat in the city.

After that I think the max shoving speed is 30 mph. But again don't quote me as it's not my job to know it.

As someone who has ridden too many of these LD wye moves in confused as to what you are asking.

Are you saying it shoves by the camera out of view. Then pulls forward? Or are you saying after the forward it shoves back again? In all my times riding the wye we've never went backward-forward-backward-forward-backward.

If you can rephrase the question I can probably help you as someone who has ridden the move.

As far as the speed I want to say that curve is speed restricted to twenty MPH but I don't know because I don't run trains for a living so it's not of my concern at the time. My concern at the time is how soon can they get us up on ground power, how soon to the PV track, and how fast I can get to eat in the city.

After that I think the max shoving speed is 30 mph. But again don't quote me as it's not my job to know it.
This, you see the same consist four times in the view sometimes.  Pushed backwark out of view, then forward out of view........wait a few minutes then back again out of view and finally forward again.  I understand the Y ing process, just wandering why the back and forth then back and forth again.

My guess is most of the time you are actually seeing different trains here. I too have been watching the Chicago cam and haven’t yet seen the same consist do 4 passes through the interlocking, except for the City of New Orleans that comes off the Air Line, backs into the station, unloads, then pulls forward through the interlocking and backs through the wye to correctly orient the consist for the next departure. As for the distance, I think that’s just a question to the size of the interlocking and not having to make crews get on the ground to take switches out of power and start throwing them manually.

Back