Purpose of Strobes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSC1109

OBS Chief
I noticed that the new Chargers have strobes on them just above the cab: two lunar, one red. I knew the F40s at one point had strobes and I thought the early Genesis units had them too, but I never found out what they were used for. Is it an Amtrak-specific thing? 

I also had a photo I took in CUS showing them clearly but for some reason, it won't upload...the file size is only 30.4 MB according to File Explorer and the website limit is 50..?

Sometimes the ex-Metroliner cab cars have the strobes on. I also have never known what the use is for. Better visibility at night?

I had thought that before the "ditch lights" came into use, the strobe lights flashed whenever the horn or bell was activated...not sure about that....

And before the strobe lights, some locomotives had rotating yellow beacon lights, and before that, my favorite...the figure '8' Mars headlight... :cool:

I had thought that before the "ditch lights" came into use, the strobe lights flashed whenever the horn or bell was activated...not sure about that....

And before the strobe lights, some locomotives had rotating yellow beacon lights, and before that, my favorite...the figure '8' Mars headlight... :cool:
You are basically correct. The strobe lights were used to help people gauge the distance and speed of a train as it approached. The logic was it would reduce fatalities along the ROW by offering something flashing instead of the solid white light, which gradually got bigger but didn't really help gauge speed or distance.

Once the FRA mandated ditch lights, the need for strobes died out.

The good thing about them is if the ditch lights fail, as long as the strobes operate, you can do 40mph over grade crossings.

Back