New York question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanavc

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Hi friends, next November I am planning a round trip on the Silver Meteor to fulfil a bucket list trip. There are 9 of us ages 8 - 59, we will be getting roometes. My question is this has anyone stayed at the West Side YMCA? It was the only thing within the budget and fitting my other criteria (close to or on Macys Thanksgiving parade route, close to Central Park, Natural History Museum) If anyone can give me some insight on it, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

If its the one on 63rd st, I don't know the accommodations, but the location is pretty nice. Right by Lincoln Center It looks interesting on the website.. Central Pk starts there, but Museum of Natural History i is 15 blocks up. Nice walk, weather dependent. Easy trip by public transit. Art museum on the opposite side of the park, including amazing Egyptian collection.. Bus or subway connections take you to Rockefeller Center (including tree), St Patrick's, Radio City for Christmas Show... if you are in the city at this time of year... tree lighting is usually the Weds night after Thanksgiving....subway from that corner near y can take you to Times Sq for Bway shows,  or connections to pretty much anywhere (including Penn Station) 

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a quick read thru their comments.      Many of the negative comments about overnight accommodations, were from people who seemed to not grasp the difference between a hostel and a hotel.    Though, a good point for the OP, remember you are staying at a hostel, and not the Regent Beverly Wilshire.  :D

A lot of other comments were about the Y's general facilities, like its gym, lap pool, and child camps.

In just over 3 weeks we are staying at an hotel in Tribeca, 10 minutes by subway to Penn Station, the subway stations are just outside the door. For NYC the special deal prices are very good and the Canal Street area (where the hotel is) looks interesting.

Would you like a short review of this hotel to help you decide?

I have a friend that is coming into the City in 2 weeks for a cruise.  I searched for a hotel for her, and found that the downtown hotels, in the financial district are generally much cheaper than the midtown hotels in the theater or shopping district.   Stands to reason, as this time of year, the City gets packed with holiday tourists...

I searched for a hotel for her, and found that the downtown hotels, in the financial district are generally much cheaper than the midtown hotels in the theater or shopping district.   Stands to reason, as this time of year, the City gets packed with holiday tourists...
Very true.   I have gotten some major discounts from hotels in the financial district, when staying during the weekend.    Its pretty deserted area on those days.

I go to school in the financial district, and other than being right near the water, I hate it. Food options are limited and very expensive, there’s bad cell phone connectivity, and it’s relatively hard to navigate around if you’re not familiar with the area. JMO.

It depends on what you call "financial" The new Stuy is at the North end of Battery Park City, with the bridge over West St providing pedestrian access.
Oh, I thought it was a lot farther north, sorry.

Well. years ago, "Financial" brought to mind Broad,Wall, Trinity and that area specifically. But over the years, things have changed, now almost anything South of City Hall qualifies. As the new buildings have gone up, some of the old classic buildings have been repurposed as residential, and the large apartment development at BPC also,  have changed the complexion of the area in a major way. Used to be a ghost town at night and on weekends.

Back