Capitol Limited Wi-Fi?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of Amtrak’s long distance Superliner trains (such as the Capitol) officially offer WiFi, however it’s actually pretty common to find WiFi installed in individual sleepers on many routes, which is always a nice surprise. That said, WiFi on Amtrak is usually pretty hit or miss, and since many LD routes go through some pretty remote areas, it’s highly likely that the internet won’t work for a decent portion of the trip. :(

There's large chunks of the trip across the Alleghenies that don't even have cell phone service, let alone 3G or 4G.  Barring equipping the Superliners with satellite systems like airliners have, there's not much that can be done given the realities of the area.

On many of the Long Distance Train routes it's not practical to offer wifi as they're is no cell signal. Which is where Amtrak gets it's wifi. I can tell you from Personal experience that there isn't any cell service for my provider from just outside Cumberland to Connelsville. So data plan or not there isn't any cell service.  

Last edited by a moderator:
On many of the Long Distance Train routes it's not practical to offer wifi as they're is no cell signal. Which is where Amtrak gets it's wifi. I can tell you from Personal experience that there isn't any cell service for my provider from just outside Cumberland to Connelsville. So data plan or not there isn't any cell service.  
And not only that, but if they install WiFi on a route and it really doesn’t work, passengers might complain or even ask for compensation, as it is something that was advertised but doesn’t work. That’s one of the reasons why it is preferable in many ways to unofficially have it installed in certain cars, but not advertise it as such. :)

Just like government-mandated/supported Rural Electrification, so that (almost) everyone could avail themselves of the benefits of an electric home -- robust cell and internet service for all is quickly becoming a need and not just a want. It just takes a bold step forward by our political classes. Until that happens, and it should and likely will eventually, I don't think being "connected" on every mile of an Amtrak journey is realistic.

Back