Consist of last Tr. 521

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant
I found a note card where I jotted down the consist of the last Houston-section of the Texas Eagle on 9-09-95:

Locomotive 294

Coach-baggage 31021

Coach 34047

Lounge café 33011

I was aboard the first press run and northbound 522 back in 1988.

There were no through sleepers; this was a stub train which essentially duplicated the service now offered on the Thruway bus to Longview. While it was much more comfortable and also served Texas A&M University through a stop at College Station, it took quite a bit longer than the bus connection and was not popular. I only rode it once.

A shame they couldn’t keep this stub train. Always sad to see remnants of the train when at the Houston stop, namely the little mechanical shed still painted in red/white/blue that I guess was used when 521 was in operation.

There were no through sleepers; this was a stub train which essentially duplicated the service now offered on the Thruway bus to Longview. While it was much more comfortable and also served Texas A&M University through a stop at College Station, it took quite a bit longer than the bus connection and was not popular. I only rode it once.
I would have thought it would have been really popular with A&M students traveling to Dallas and Houston. It had to be better than no one seat train ride between Chicago and Houston (or Dallas and Houston) as is the case now.

Back