Joining during trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sealink

Service Attendant
I purchased a ticket from Portland, OR to Seattle, WA.

My friends said that actually Vancouver, WA is closer to them and have suggested I get the train from there.

Would this be an issue for Amtrak?

As Steve said, CHANGE THE TICKET! You will be marked as a no-show and your ticket will be surrendered. So just call and modify your ticket - you might even get a few bucks back.  :)

Agree. At a number of stations with large turnover the train crew scans tickets while boarding. I know Vancouver WA is very close to Portland, but you still may go down as a no-show.

Oh, one more thing. On the airlines, if you travel to or from a minor destination (as opposed to a major city or hub) you often get jacked for a price double that of the major destination or even more. On Amtrak, not so as far as I am aware. The ticket will probably be exactly the same price, or possibly even a dollar or two less. Use the stop which is most convenient for you and your friends; just make sure that your ticket is set up accordingly in advance.

Recognizing the OP is from England,  I have to ask how he is going to get from wherever he is (hotel?  Other friends home?) to the train station.  As far as I know, Vancouver is only accessible by car or taxi.  The Portland train station is downtown and is easily accessed from light rail lines that come within a short block of the station.  That's how I got to/from my hotel in Portland last April and will do the same next April.   Portland also boasts a commuter rail system as well.  Here's a link to the Trimet web site:  Trimet web site

As mentioned above, if you do decide to board at Vancouver, definitely modify your reservation.  When calling, use the word 'modify' rather than 'change'.  It can make a difference.   And if you get on in Portland, simply call your friends and tell them you're in the 2nd car from the front, or wherever, and they'll be able to find you.

Back