Toys For Tots Train Sees Hope

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acela150

Super Buff
According to a multiple posts on Trainorders. Norfolk Southern and Bennett Levin have come to an agreement to run the Annual Toys for Tots train in NY State with Bennett Levin's Restored E8's and his Private Varnish. 

Amtrak who has declined to run the Toys for Tots train this year stating that "It doesn't fit our business model".

In May Bennett Levin was scheduled to run his E8's and Private Varnish on a "Last Hoorah" trip from Philadelphia to Altoona and Return. Amtrak made the decision not let allow Bennett Levin's train run under the new Private Varnish guidelines. 

This decision caused almost instant backlash from the Railfan and Private Vanish Community. Bennett Levin who stores his equipment along the Northeast Corridor quickly put up large signs in Red and Blue that said "SAVE AMTRAK, FIRE ANDERSON". Those large signs that were pretty much billboards were covered after about a month of being on display. A recent Nor'Easter blew the tarps off the signs in question and they once again display "SAVE AMTRAK, FIRE ANDERSON". 

I can only imagine that Bennett Levin is now putting his best efforts into righting the wrongs that Amtrak's leadership has done. 

If Bennett sees this post some how I'd like to extend a thank you for using your equipment for such a great cause! Well done Sir! 

It is an incredible PR move for private car people as well. As it shows that we care about those who aren't as fortunate as others. And it's a great farewell for Bennet.

Consist should be two baggage cars from Amtrak, all three of Bennets cars, Babbling Brook, and Alexander Hamilton.

Someone needs to go dress as the grinch with an Amtrak name tag "Richard Anderson"

Nice video...I guess the E-8's are just along for the ride, eh?   They look better now, than when they ran on the Pennsy.... :)

So Amtrak was involved somehow, after all?   Providing those baggage cars?

Those locos are just so beautiful. Annoyingly, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in person. :(
The Es and Fs, along with most of the other similarly shaped locos are among the classiest looking diesels and to this day, if you ask someone to sketch or draw a train, the engine will likely have that classic shape.

The Es and Fs, along with most of the other similarly shaped locos are among the classiest looking diesels and to this day, if you ask someone to sketch or draw a train, the engine will likely have that classic shape.
The directional signs to the Amtrak station here in Houston prominently feature the frontal silhouette of an F-unit....

The directional signs to the Amtrak station here in Houston prominently feature the frontal silhouette of an F-unit....
Like this? This is the official design from the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.

3xObVzu.jpg

Back