Amfleet II Refresh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebelRider

Service Attendant
An interior refresh of the Amfleet II coaches will begin in the second quarter of 2019. The prototype is in the wild now. It will be the same look/materials as the Amfleet I refresh. New carpet, seat cushions and all lighting will finally be upgraded to LEDs providing a brighter, more consistent lighting experience.

There is also an Amfleet II Lounge roaming around with upgraded grab bars on the vestibule steps and handholds for walking between cars. The bars are thicker and easier to grab, basically the same as the Viewliner steps grab bars. Unknown if or when this modifications will go out fleet wide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode on a couple of Northeast Regionals last weekend which already have the Amfleet I refresh.   It would be nice to see the Amfleet IIs get the same treatment.

I know because I rode on the Silver Meteor and Silver Star in July 2017, and the coach cars looked pretty worn. 

Moderator Note:  Discussion of Superliner Refresh and Capitol Limited were split from this discussion and moved to the Amtrak's Future forum.

Thanks for your cooperation in trying to keep discussions on topic.

I have ridden in an Amfleet ll coach with the refresh interior on N/B # 98 from MIA-NYP a few days ago. ...Similar to the Amfleet business class. (Coach # 25062). I have also spotted three more Amfleet ll coach cars with the refresh in Hialeah yards. On my consist , a few of the coaches as well were with the new grab handles. and step rails the same as the viewliner sleepers.

Is there a timetable in which the interior refresh for both Amfleet ll coaches and lounge cars to be completed?

Back