Cruising (Ocean and River)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railiner

Engineer
It was suggested in a Travelogue thread, that we take cruising or ship voyage discussion to 'Non-Rail Transportation', so.....here it is...please feel free to discuss all types of water transportation here, relate experiences, ask question's, answer them, whatever.....while there is a very large website devoted to that subject, as always, I like to get the opinion's of the well informed member's of this forum right here on the subject....

I'll start off by saying I am an avid cruiser.   I started later than many...took my first cruise on the original "Love Boat", the former Pacific Princess (built as the "Sea Venture" in 1971 for Flagship Cruises), back in 1991 on a land and sea vacation from Whittier, AK to Vancouver, BC.   And I was hooked.

I did not take my next one until 10 years later, on the Holland America Ryndam in 2001 from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego, but then started taking one every year, and then two or three, until I now have 34 behind me, and three more booked.   Now that I am retired, I plan on taking a lot more... :)

I have been on one cruise.  My first wife and I sailed from Long Beach to Catalina to Ensenada and back, four nights, in February, 2002.  The ship was Carnival's Ecstasy, which was christened in 1991 and is 855 feet long, carrying up to 2,634 passengers and 920 crew.  We were in a "veranda" cabin, so we had a balcony and also were in an isolated section with just about a dozen rooms.  I think I would not like being on a giant ship in a room on a hallway with hundreds of other rooms.

I ate lunch a couple times docked in Kahului Harbor on the old cruise ships which sailed interisland in Hawaii, the Independence and Constitution.  These were originally Atlantic ocean liners, and were used in Hawaii because of the Jones Act (vessels not transiting a foreign port must be US-built).  There's a huge amount of politics there-including a boondoggle of something like a government subsidy to build a ship for Hawaiian cruising that ended up being an ill-suited military vessel.  I think the vessel that sails interisland now is foreign-built.

Pride of America (NCL)  was partially built at Litton/Ingalls in Mississippi and towed to Germany for completion after it was bought out of the US Lines/American Classic Voyages bankruptcy. 

I have been on one cruise.  My first wife and I sailed from Long Beach to Catalina to Ensenada and back, four nights, in February, 2002.  The ship was Carnival's Ecstasy, which was christened in 1991 and is 855 feet long, carrying up to 2,634 passengers and 920 crew.  We were in a "veranda" cabin, so we had a balcony and also were in an isolated section with just about a dozen rooms.  I think I would not like being on a giant ship in a room on a hallway with hundreds of other rooms.

I ate lunch a couple times docked in Kahului Harbor on the old cruise ships which sailed interisland in Hawaii, the Independence and Constitution.  These were originally Atlantic ocean liners, and were used in Hawaii because of the Jones Act (vessels not transiting a foreign port must be US-built).  There's a huge amount of politics there-including a boondoggle of something like a government subsidy to build a ship for Hawaiian cruising that ended up being an ill-suited military vessel.  I think the vessel that sails interisland now is foreign-built.
We too did that same cruise on the Ecstasy in 2004 and enjoyed the "veranda" accommodations. That was our first cruise. I also prefer smaller ships like the destroyer I served in while in the Navy...crew of 300 rather than 5000 or more on a carrier. We are now gravitating to river cruises with 200 passengers. Our next one will be the American Duchess cruising the entire length of the Mississippi River from Minneapolis to New Orleans. Trains, of course, will get us there and back home!

Here's part of my "signature" from CruiseCritics ... 

I ate lunch a couple times docked in Kahului Harbor on the old cruise ships which sailed interisland in Hawaii, the Independence and Constitution.  These were originally Atlantic ocean liners
Those were a beautiful pair of ship's, that I regret never having sailed on.   Much of their design was done by noted industrial designer, Henry Dreyfuss, of NYC Twentieth Century Limited fame... :cool:

Those were a beautiful pair of ship's, that I regret never having sailed on.   Much of their design was done by noted industrial designer, Henry Dreyfuss, of NYC Twentieth Century Limited fame... :cool:
My step-daughter (a United Airlines flight attendant) took my wife on an interisland cruise on the Constitution.  The cabin they reserved was NOT up to her standards at all, and she managed to upgrade them to something that at least had one port hole.

Railiner, I've confused the Jones Act and misrepresented the story of the vessel that now sails interisland--tell me the famous movie filmed on either the Constitution or Independence?

Edit: found it, An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/251725/Affair-To-Remember-An-Movie-Clip-From-Him-From-Her-.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken many ocean cruises, starting back in 1972/73 and then a break until 1999.  We love the ambiance of a cruise ship, but we don't travel in luxury.  Just moving from one place to another and having our meals catered is luxury enough.  I also belong to that very large cruising website, and a couple of others as well, small ones.  One focuses on the Panama Canal.    CJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been on one cruise on the Costa Atlantica for senior class trip back in 2003. I was only 17 then and still had a blast even though I couldn’t partake in the more adult activities. While I’ve been to sea many many times since I have never taken another cruise. 

I will be taking a full transit Panama Canal cruise on Princess next month.  I did a partial transit last year and liked it so much that I want to do the entire canal on the cruise ship.

I have sailed on 53 cruises with my first one being in 1970 aboard Rotterdam V. 

I sailed on the Independence when she was sailing under the American Hawaii Line banner.  She surely was a "classic" and provided a very good Hawaiian cruise experience.

I have 3 more booked for this Winter:  a New Year's Cruise aboard Royal Princess and a b2b on HAL's brand new Nieuw Statendam.  I will be sailing on her 5th revenue cruise.

We certainly do have some 'well-traveled' cruiser's here.... ;)

I enjoy any type of cruise from tiny expedition ship up to floating amusement park resorts...  I usually will look for last minute bargains, close to home, and take an inside guarantee stateroom, as I only use the cabin for sleeping, showering, and changing clothes.  From wake up until bedtime, I am out and about, all over the ship.  The exception's are for special destination cruises, that are on my "bucket list".  In August of 2017, I splurged and took the Crystal Serenity, 32 days from Seward, AK to New York via the fabled Northwest Passage.   I would never normally spring for a luxury line like Crystal, but for the itinerary, I just had to.  The food and service they provide does 'spoil' you... :cool:

In January, I am really taking the plunge...my retirement gift to myself will be 180 days aboard the Oceania Insignia, (6 month's!), on a full westbound circumnavigation of the world, calling at six continents.   Cannot wait for that to begin.... :)

I will be taking a full transit Panama Canal cruise on Princess next month.  I did a partial transit last year and liked it so much that I want to do the entire canal on the cruise ship.
Island Princess or Coral Princess?

I have sailed on 53 cruises with my first one being in 1970 aboard Rotterdam V. 

I sailed on the Independence when she was sailing under the American Hawaii Line banner.  She surely was a "classic" and provided a very good Hawaiian cruise experience.

I have 3 more booked for this Winter:  a New Year's Cruise aboard Royal Princess and a b2b on HAL's brand new Nieuw Statendam.  I will be sailing on her 5th revenue cruise.

Nice!  I have some "catching up" to do.... :)

I’ve been on one cruise on the Costa Atlantica for senior class trip back in 2003. I was only 17 then and still had a blast even though I couldn’t partake in the more adult activities. While I’ve been to sea many many times since I have never taken another cruise. 
Wow...my high school class only went on bus trips.... :)

I have taken many ocean cruises, starting back in 1972/73 and then a break until 1999.  We love the ambiance of a cruise ship, but we don't travel in luxury.  Just moving from one place to another and having our meals catered is luxury enough.  I also belong to that very large cruising website, and a couple of others as well, small ones.  One focuses on the Panama Canal.    CJ
I am pretty active on that site as well, and my favorite feature of it, is the "roll calls", where you meet your fellow shipmates in advance, and then meet them in person aboard the cruise... :cool:

That could be useful...A few years ago I was on a cruise to St John, NB and I went to one of the shows at night, came in at the top of the theater, and walked down till I saw an empty seat on the aisle, sat down, and saw that I was seated next to neighbors from the other side of my apartment building... 

I did this same cruise on the same ship. I think it was in 1994. My one and only cruise.

My dream vacation would be to take the train to New Orleans, do a river cruise all the way up the Mississippi, and then take the train back home. But those river cruises are sooooo expensive, I think that trip is going to have to remain in my dreams.

Wow...my high school class only went on bus trips.... :)
It wasn’t as glamorous as it seemed. I’m originally from and went to high school in Dade County and an alumnus of my high school worked for the cruise line. So we didn’t have to pay for any transportation to the port (my mom dropped me off and picked me up) and we got a really good group rate. We were in cabins on the lowest passenger deck of the ship, our windows (or portholes for you nautical types) were just a few feet above the waterline and we were 4 to a room. 

When you can travel last minute, from a port within 'driving range', you can snag deals like these:

https://www.ncl.com/cruises/14-day-western-caribbean-from-new-york-ESCAPE14NYCPCVNPIOCJGECBPICMACZMNYC?cruiseTour=1&autoPopulate=f&cruiseHotel=1&numberOfGuests=4294953449&pageSize=10&ships=4294959336&cruise=1&sortBy=Featured&from=resultPage&state=undefined&sailmonths=4294953369&currentPage=1&cruiseHotelAir=1&itineraryCode=ESCAPE14NYCPCVNPIOCJGECBPICMACZMNYC

Usually a solo traveler like me, has to pay double, but in this case, not.   So with the port taxes and government fees added, the total comes to $725.20.   If you happen to have a 'cruise-next' certificate purchased on a previous cruise at half price, It reduces the fare by another $250.  (You paid $125. for it).  Now its just costing you $600.20.   And if you own 100 shares of NCL, you get another $100 shipboard credit back.   For a 14 night cruise, it's almost cheaper than staying home, and includes room, food, transportation, entertainment...

If I didn't have several appointments coming up, I'd be on it.... :)

For people who have not been on a recent cruise, it is important to mention that almost all cruse ships today are purpose built as such, not the earlier generation of converted ocean liners.They are very much geared for you to have just as much fun while traveling as at the destination ports. It is a different concept than a ship built to carry you from point a to point b.  I know that some people are put off by the mega ships and their enormous numbers of passengers, but there are also a number of newer medium size ships that are being built. 

railiner,

Oh, how I envy you (as well as others) who live close to a port so that you have an opportunity to take advantage of such deals!

Back