Is this a good deal?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..1)My AGR World card has a 3-point per $ spent bonus promotion for ANY spending through December 31.

..2)30% bonus for purchasing points per email received today.

So 15,000pts @ $565 + 4500pts @30% bonus = 19,500pts + earning another 1695pts for 3 pts per $ spent for 21,195 pts for $565.

What say you guys?..

Normally 20,000 points = $600 towards an Amtrak ticket. So if you spend $565 and net 21,195 you are purchasing more than 20,000 points and spending just $565 on the purchase. So yes, it's a good deal.

I have strong doubts that buying points will get the 2 points per dollar bonus for the same reason it doesn't get the same bonus before the extra points 'deal' until 12/31.  Although one is buying AGR points, they're being bought through Points.com which probably has a built-in 'no Amtrak bonus points for buying points' built in to their system.  On the other hand, as it is Points.com and not Amtrak.com, (which I doubt there will be an extra 2 bonus points (5 points total) when buying Amtrak tix), it could well get the extra 2 points per dollar bonus.

Regarding the 'up to 30% bonus when buying points' deal per the recent email, this was 'asked and answered' about a month ago right here==>One Week Points Sale

Last edited by a moderator:
..1)My AGR World card has a 3-point per $ spent bonus promotion for ANY spending through December 31.

..2)30% bonus for purchasing points per email received today.

So 15,000pts @ $565 + 4500pts @30% bonus = 19,500pts + earning another 1695pts for 3 pts per $ spent for 21,195 pts for $565.

What say you guys?..
Is this promo for the Platinum card as well?

I have strong doubts that buying points will get the 2 points per dollar bonus for the same reason it doesn't get the same bonus before the extra points 'deal' until 12/31.  Although one is buying AGR points, they're being bought through Points.com which probably has a built-in 'no Amtrak bonus points for buying points' built in to their system.  On the other hand, as it is Points.com and not Amtrak.com, (which I doubt there will be an extra 2 bonus points (5 points total) when buying Amtrak tix), it could well get the extra 2 points per dollar bonus.

Regarding the 'up to 30% bonus when buying points' deal per the recent email, this was 'asked and answered' about a month ago right here==>One Week Points Sale
Until the end of the year, ANY PURCHASE made with the AGR World MasterCard gets 3 points per dollar. Anything.

Now the break even point if you buy points would be about a 30% bonus. IOW, with a 30% bonus when buying points, you will get out of it almost exactly what you put into it. So with that bonus plus the three points per dollar when using the card, I would say that if you know you will use them, it is definitely a good deal to buy points now.

My email announcement said in the fine print that this is a promotion of B of A, i.e. not Amtrak or AGR. I took this to be significant as it effects other accrual of points bonuses. I immediately started using that cc for the first time in 6 months or more.

Back