WiFi on the Cardinal?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
In practise is wifi/internet on the Cardinal at reasonable speed at least for email, and is it only the lounge/café/diner or the whole train?

Thanks

I don't know about Amtrak-supplied wifi on that train, but do know that through a good bit of the Cardinal's route (in West Virginia at least) there's no cellphone service.

I did not have any trouble with the Wifi in a sleeping car on the westbound Cardinal in January, 2017.  There might not have been continuous service in places such as the New River Gorge.

I did not have any trouble with the Wifi in a sleeping car on the westbound Cardinal in January, 2017.  There might not have been continuous service in places such as the New River Gorge.
If that is the usual situation it's perfect, thank you.

Just like all the other single-level routes on the East Coast, it has WiFi. It's not fast, but it's usually good enough to get some work done or send some emails. As was said, you probably won't get coverage in the more remote parts of the route.

I was surprised to find sporadic cell service, with my WiFi turned off, on some segments of the Cardinal last year in places I thought had zero chance. Spotty would be the best word to use. But it did exist! Additionally, there were places before 50/51 are in mountainous terrain that we enjoyed service for many consecutive miles.

(Likewise in many places along the Empire Builder's route where only the livestock and wildlife might benefit.)

But where I live in Virginia, near Shenandoah National Park, we struggle for long stretches of driving. And only at a few west-facing viewpoints along the Appalachian Trail do we get service, and then only with Verizon. I guess that could be considered "spotty" too, in the extreme. Go figure...

I have to laugh I did a 2 night layover in WV a couple years ago and it’s the only place in N. America I’ve flown that I had no cell service. It was a charter flight, I don’t remember the city unfortunately. The hotel front desk girl was like it’s not your phone we only only have one provider that has service here. 2016 wow

Back