Amtrak Billing Mistake, What Can I Do?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoSierra

Train Attendant
I purchased an Amtrak ticket partially with an Amtrak gift card. The train cancelled so I called to see if I could get a voucher (knowing that the Amtrak gift card payment would cause complications). The agent refunded it instead by accident. When I received the refund receipt, it showed the refund going back to two credit cards, not one credit card, and one gift card. I have no idea who the other credit card belongs to. I did not receive any sort of refund back to the gift card. The agent apologized and told me to call the Refunds department when they were open to have this fixed.When I called and was transferred to refunds, they flat out told me that it wasn't their problem and that federal law requires the refund be sent back to the initial payment methods (which they did not do!) and that I should call my bank, and then hung up on me.I sent an email to customer relations. I'm going to wait a week before I go up the ladder and email people further up the chain.Is there anything else I can do, or am I going to be out my fifty bucks? My Congresspeople are useless as I found out when I contacted them when Amtrak's charged a higher points redemption rate than stated on their website. It's frustrating how Amtrak is not accountable to any regulatory agency (like how airline consumer problems are handled by the DOT) and that I'm not able to get any help from anyone other than Amtrak.

I'd call the refund department again. 

If you get a different agent, try again with that one.  If you get the same agent (or the different agent is of no help) ask to speak to a supervisor.

I would also stick to the pertinent facts only:

• Reservation XXXXXX;
  • train cancelled;
  • refund made to card YYYY;
  • Card YYYY is not your card. 
Leave out gift card issue and the original desire for a voucher. The only issue is that a refund was issued to someone else's card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who purchased the original gift card? If someone else bought it and gave it to you as a gift, the refund went to their credit card. If not, I would follow PRR 60;s advice and call again, with basics of refund going to unknown credit card.

Who purchased the original gift card? If someone else bought it and gave it to you as a gift, the refund went to their credit card. If not, I would follow PRR 60;s advice and call again, with basics of refund going to unknown credit card.
Why on earth would the refund go to the original gift card buyer's credit card, and not the card itself? Do they not know that most people do not buy gift cards for themselves? That just doesn't make sense.

Who purchased the original gift card? If someone else bought it and gave it to you as a gift, the refund went to their credit card. 

Why on earth would the refund go to the original gift card buyer's credit card, and not the card itself? Do they not know that most people do not buy gift cards for themselves? That just doesn't make sense.

I would agree with 1@mitako[/USER].   The refund would have gone back onto the original source of the funds; the payment method for the gift card.   

I would venture a guess that when the gift card's balance reached $0.00, that account was closed.  You can't put money (from any source) onto a closed account.

I agree with 1@Cho Cho Charlie[/USER].

If I bought a train ticket for 1@cpotisch[/USER] to go to the Gathering next year in DAL, but a conflict comes up and he must remain in NYC during the Gathering, why should the refund go to him? :huh:  I spent $500 to buy him a ticket to go from NYP to DAL to attend the Gathering, not to go from NYP to MIA in January! So why should a gift card be different?

You could always ask the original purchaser of the gift card for another one for the same amount. It would be up to him other if they want to give you another one.

I agree with 1@Cho Cho Charlie[/USER].

If I bought a train ticket for 1@cpotisch[/USER] to go to the Gathering next year in DAL, but a conflict comes up and he must remain in NYC during the Gathering, why should the refund go to him? :huh:  I spent $500 to buy him a ticket to go from NYP to DAL to attend the Gathering, not to go from NYP to MIA in January! So why should a gift card be different?

You could always ask the original purchaser of the gift card for another one for the same amount. It would be up to him other if they want to give you another one.
That is totally different. In that example, you spent the $500 to buy me a ticket to the Gathering. The purpose was not to give me $500 to spend on whatever Amtrak trip I wanted - it is so that I can take the train to the Gathering. Whereas if you just gave me a gift card for, say, my birthday, you ARE doing so with the intent that I put it toward whatever Amtrak trip I want.

So to reiterate, handing me a gift card with no strings attached is completely different than buying me a ticket to the Gathering. I can tell you that if I gave someone a gift card and they used it, and then their train was cancelled, I definitely would *not* want to have part of their gift refunded back to me. It's that person's gift card. Make any sense?

So to reiterate, handing me a gift card with no strings attached is completely different than buying me a ticket to the Gathering. I can tell you that if I gave someone a gift card and they used it, and then their train was cancelled, I definitely would *not* want to have part of their gift refunded back to me. It's that person's gift card. Make any sense?
To me, it is indeed completely different.

The gift card is done.  Spent.  Used up.   Closed.   Bye-bye.   So, where would you want the refund to go?   On to the gift recipient's own personal credit card to later spend any way they wish (airline tickets?)?

BTW, its not much different if the gift card is lost.   The original purchaser, not the recipient, would need to request a replacement.

Very few companies give cash refunds for gift card purchases. Even some stores only give store credit if you don’t want the gift giver’s card refunded. You cannot exchange gifts for cash because it’s basically using the store/business as a bank. I’ve seen lots of brides excited to cash in their wedding gifts, only to be given store credit.

I imagine that’s why the OP asked for a voucher. I would have done the same thing.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the CSR selected the wrong refund method (card vs. voucher), hence the mixup. At this point, a lead or supervisor will probably have to be involved to make things right (more because they’d have the necessary permissions, not because the next CSR is incompetent).

From Amtrak - 12C.

If you purchase a ticket using a Card and we cancel the trip for which your ticket was booked or your purchased class of service is downgraded due to a change of equipment, you must contact Amtrak at 1-800-USA RAIL. We will issue an eVoucher to you in an amount equal to the purchase price of the ticket for the cancelled trip or, if applicable, an amount equal to the difference between the cost of your purchased class of service and the class of service to which your travel was downgraded. eVouchers expire one (1) year from the date of issuance. If your eVoucher is within thirty (30) days of expiration or has expired, you may receive a refund of the outstanding value. In order to receive a refund please send the eVoucher receipt or a printout of your email notification, and your name, address and phone number, to:

Amtrak Customer Refunds

Box 70

30th Street Station

2955 Market Street

Philadelphia, PA 19104-2898.

We reserve the right to provide your refund in the form of a new Card.

I have no idea who the other credit card belongs to. 
I am now, not so sure that you truly have no idea who this other credit card belongs to, though I can see why it makes for a better story.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the CSR selected the wrong refund method (card vs. voucher), hence the mixup. At this point, a lead or supervisor will probably have to be involved to make things right (more because they’d have the necessary permissions, not because the next CSR is incompetent).
I am not as sure as you, that Amtrak can now go back and reverse the credit already given back to the original purchaser.    By doing so, Amtrak would be making an unauthorized charge for a second gift card.  Since 1@EchoSierra[/USER] doesn't seem to want to go back to the person who gave them the gift card, the second (new) gift card charge might very well be challenged, and I think successfully.

I am not as sure as you, that Amtrak can now go back and reverse the credit already given back to the original purchaser.    By doing so, Amtrak would be making an unauthorized charge for a second gift card.  Since [mention=14050]EchoSierra[/mention] doesn't seem to want to go back to the person who gave them the gift card, the second (new) gift card charge might very well be challenged, and I think successfully.
I never suggested that as a resolution.

It’s likely that the fix will involve producing a $50 voucher and taking the loss. That’s why a supervisor will have to get involved.

That’s what I would do, anyway. I have in the past.

To me, it is indeed completely different.

The gift card is done.  Spent.  Used up.   Closed.   Bye-bye.   So, where would you want the refund to go?   On to the gift recipient's own personal credit card to later spend any way they wish (airline tickets?)?

BTW, its not much different if the gift card is lost.   The original purchaser, not the recipient, would need to request a replacement.
The receiver of the gift card is the owner of any funds as the card was given to them. I'd recommend small claims court if Amtrak is uncooperative.

I would agree with [mention=14406]mitako[/mention].   The refund would have gone back onto the original source of the funds; the payment method for the gift card.   
I would venture a guess that when the gift card's balance reached $0.00, that account was closed.  You can't put money (from any source) onto a closed account.
That's not how retailers work... Many places will tell you to keep the gift card in event of online order changes/cancellations, as the funds will go back to the gift card, regardless of what the balance was on there.

Don't know how Amtrak gift cards work, but at JCPenney the card was kept open for over 6 months, with a $0 balance. Gift cards don't have to be one time use items. They are reloadable.

niemi24s said:
Are you saying all gift cards are like this?
I obviously am not qualified to make that statement, but I would doubt it. That's why I started my post with "most retailers".
Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Subway, and JCPenney I can all say yes.

I am now, not so sure that you truly have no idea who this other credit card belongs to, though I can see why it makes for a better story.

I am not as sure as you, that Amtrak can now go back and reverse the credit already given back to the original purchaser.    By doing so, Amtrak would be making an unauthorized charge for a second gift card.  Since 1@EchoSierra[/USER] doesn't seem to want to go back to the person who gave them the gift card, the second (new) gift card charge might very well be challenged, and I think successfully.
I was given the gift card in a secret santa gift exchange at work. That coworker no longer works for the company. This is why I am hoping that Amtrak will remedy this problem by issuing me a voucher for the value.  If they can issue a voucher for service recovery (ie a delayed train) they should be able to issue me a voucher for their own screw up.  The apologetic agent claimed to have notated the cancelled reservation for the Refunds dept to see that she was the one who made the mistake, but Refunds wouldn't even speak about the reservation let alone look at it. 

I never suggested that as a resolution.

It’s likely that the fix will involve producing a $50 voucher and taking the loss. That’s why a supervisor will have to get involved.

That’s what I would do, anyway. I have in the past.
I hope so.

The receiver of the gift card is the owner of any funds as the card was given to them. I'd recommend small claims court if Amtrak is uncooperative.
Can one actually sue Amtrak? I thought they were pre-empted except in cases of extreme negligence?

Can one actually sue Amtrak? I thought they were pre-empted except in cases of extreme negligence?
I think you can for like really egregious stuff, but I doubt that screwing up part of a refund would be considered "lawsuit worthy".  

Oh, you absolutely can sue Amtrak for ordinary commercial screwups like failing to refund money.  Trouble is it's never worth suing anyone for $50.

Try Customer Relations and explain that you asked for a voucher and were given a partial, incomplete refund, and where's your money?  They'll probably give you a voucher.

Amtrak can be sued if you can establish sufficient standing and provide enough evidence to make a credible claim for prevailing.  Amtrak can also be forced to resolve adverse judgements on behalf of other entities (mostly freight railroads and interchange services) through indemnity agreements.  Small claims court is an alternative process with different rules and limits than formal lawsuits.

Back