Crescent late causing missed dinner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Relentless

If the Crescent being late causes a passenger to miss the dinner meal, does Amtrak offer a reimbursement for the  paid missed dinner to bedroom car passengers?   ie., If your scheduled departure time is 8:00PM,  the last seating for dinner is 8:30PM, and the train running late causes you to board at 10:00PM - what can you expect for dinner from Amtrak?

There are a couple of websites which do a great job of showing the progress of Amtrak trains. If you see that your train is running significantly late, grab something to eat before boarding.

It is an area of inconsistenty. I was in Denver in June and when tthey were certain we would miss dinner due to a very late train,  we were given cash to buy food in the station. But Denver is a manned station with options. I've also heard plenty of less simple scenarios involving credits from customer relations, and sometimes, the HAL response

Would you expect Amtrak to charge you for a meal when a late train causes you to be on board for a meal you would ordinarily miss?

You are entitled to meals included for the time you are on board,  nothing more. 

Would you expect Amtrak to charge you for a meal when a late train causes you to be on board for a meal you would ordinarily miss?

You are entitled to meals included for the time you are on board,  nothing more. 
No, because the cause of being late is not my fault. Neither is the reason I missed the meal if the train is late coming in. Both are Amtrak's fault. They are responsible and should collect extra costs from other parties if those other parties caused the train to be late.

Actually, it's apparently standard practice in WAS to give $25 to sleeper passengers who miss dinner onboard because of a late train, so that they can buy food in the station. So apparently Amtrak begs to differ.  ;)

Actually, it's apparently standard practice in WAS to give $25 to sleeper passengers who miss dinner onboard because of a late train, so that they can buy food in the station. So apparently Amtrak begs to differ.  ;)
I believe that "standard practice" is only followed for passengers in the Club Acela in WAS.  I have boarded a late train many times in Orlando (and missed either lunch or dinner) and was not offered any compensation (and never requested any).

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that "standard practice" is only followed for passengers in the Club Acela in WAS.  I have boarded a late train many times in Orlando (and missed either lunch or dinner) and was not offered any compensation (and never requested any).
Yeah, that's what I was saying - that sleeper passengers in WAS usually get compensation if they miss a meal because their train is late.

I have taken the Crescent numerous times to Birmingham, where normally there is not time for lunch. However, because the train was late, I had lunch.

Should Amtrak have charged me for the “non-included” meal? :huh:  So why should they reimburse you for missing dinner?

My train was late due to speed restrictions from heat, and freight congestion, and that is clearly not Amtrak's fault. I did not expect compensation, and was checking periodically at the window as to train progress, and whether they might extend the meal service. The last time, the agent said the diner would be closed, but I can help you with a food purchase here before the "regular" place closes (I guess he meant the sandwich place). I was very happy that they offered some accommodation, if they hadn't,  I certainly would have bought some food anyway. It varies by location, and situation, that is why I used the term "inconsistency".  Transportation companies are normally not responsible for delays caused by safety issues beyond their control like a heat restriction, mudslide, hurricane blocking a ship from going to a port, storms closing an airport.....

I have taken the Crescent numerous times to Birmingham, where normally there is not time for lunch. However, because the train was late, I had lunch.

Should Amtrak have charged me for the “non-included” meal? :huh:  So why should they reimburse you for missing dinner?
Because they paid for it.

No, because the cause of being late is not my fault. Neither is the reason I missed the meal if the train is late coming in. Both are Amtrak's fault. They are responsible and should collect extra costs from other parties if those other parties caused the train to be late.
Keep in mind that when LD trains are delayed, it's very rarely Amtrak's fault. It's on then host railroad. But let's say that your LD train starts in NYP and is delayed. Then it's Amtrak's fault. ;)  

Two years ago, the Coast Starlight northbound had some kind of undisclosed problem that required it to terminate in Portland instead of Seattle.  Dinner got cancelled (although we had booked the early seating in the PPC...so I missed my last chance to have those delectable lamb shanks, darn it!)  No compensation, no nothing, while we waited in Portland for Amtrak to figure out how to bustitute the northbound passengers home.  We didn't arrive back at King St Station till after midnight--a hungry and tired lot.  And no, I didn't expect any compensation, nor did I ask for anything.  But I do wish they had informed us that we wouldn't board our bus for a hour or so--I would have bought something at the station. As it was, they warned us not to wander off in the station, because if we missed the bus, we were on our own to get home!

Two years ago, the Coast Starlight northbound had some kind of undisclosed problem that required it to terminate in Portland instead of Seattle.  Dinner got cancelled (although we had booked the early seating in the PPC...so I missed my last chance to have those delectable lamb shanks, darn it!)  No compensation, no nothing, while we waited in Portland for Amtrak to figure out how to bustitute the northbound passengers home.  We didn't arrive back at King St Station till after midnight--a hungry and tired lot.  And no, I didn't expect any compensation, nor did I ask for anything.  But I do wish they had informed us that we wouldn't board our bus for a hour or so--I would have bought something at the station. As it was, they warned us not to wander off in the station, because if we missed the bus, we were on our own to get home!
Just saying, but couldn't they maybe have attached 14's cars on the back of 508, and maybe put another engine on it? Maybe having the train 'separated' by an engine in the middle would create problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back