Greensboro, NC station until 1 a m?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dee

I want to ride the Carolinian from Wilson to Greensboro, then catch the Crescent to NOL in January.  The only problem is it looks like there is a wait from 7 pm to 1 am  for the Crescent ( if everything is on time).  Has anyone else had any experience with this trip?  I'm not crazy about waiting around a depot until 1 am or later.  We are 2 seniors. Any advice would be appreciated.

Google shows two theaters within walking distance of the train station; the Carolina Theater three blocks west and the Touring Theater Ensemble of NC three blocks north. There's also several movie theaters a cab ride away. Perhaps you could catch a movie or a show and then a late dinner afterwards? There's a Natty Greene's brewpub open till midnight (11 pm Sundays) just a couple blocks southwest of the train station (kitchen closes an hour before the bar does).

Eons ago, it seems, (40 years or so as it was my first Superliner ride and they were brand new!) I had a long layover in Omaha for the eastbound California Zephyr that I missed in Denver and flew to Omaha to 'catch' it. 

I was a heavy drinker back then and told the cab driver I'd buy if he'd pour me off at the train station about 2AM.  He poured me off exactly as planned.  As a recovering alcoholic, I strongly don't recommend drinking your way through your layover, but spending time elsewhere is a good choice to make the time go fast.

Plan B: have a portable DVD player and watch that at the station.  They may have wifi, too.  Watching videos on a tiny cell phone screen 'burning up' your gigabytes data allocation is not an option I would consider.  Special note:  If Greensboro has any of the newer, extremely-uncomfortable seats like Amtrak has at PGH and WAS (black vinyl with 1/4" padding seat & back, brushed aluminum arm rests between each seat), DEFINITELY find some establishment that's open to spend the time.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back