Newbie questions on Coast Starlight dining and room selection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great site.  Thanks for having me.

Over the holidays in December, I'm taking my 16 and 19-year-old grandsons on the Coast Starlight from San Diego to Seattle.  We have three roomettes (4, 5, and 6) in car 1433.  I'm happy with those room numbers.

I was told by a friend because I'm four cars away from the dining room, I may get a late dining reservation and some of the entrees may be gone.   He said they start taking reservations in 1430, then 1431, then 1432, then my car 1433.  He told me this today on the golf course and I actually quit playing golf while I spent 27 minutes with the call center.  I wanted to move to car #1430. 

At first, the agent said car 1430 is not always next to the dining car.  That was contrary to what I've read on this site so I told her I still wanted to switch.  Then, she said they normally don't change cars and roomettes.  Again, I told her that was different from what I've read and I asked her to try.  27 minutes later, after she asked me for my booking number (for the third time) I told her I would call back later.  She sounded new but I was losing patience - along with missing two holes of golf!

Question 1: Can I change cars by calling customer service?

Question 2: Should I even try because it's possible I may not get the dining time and entre I desire?

Question 3: Is the agent correct that car #1430 is not always next to the dining car?

I really don't mind walking three cars to get to the dining room so I'm willing to stay where we are unless it affects dining options.

Thanks!

Welcome to AU!

I am not sure about the location of car 1430, but will comment on other issues.

The LSA usually walks through the sleeper cars taking reservations for dinner.  She/he does not always begin with the car closest to the dining car, but I think she/he does more than 50% of the time.

There are some agents that will not switch your car and room and others will.  Those that will may try to charge you more if the bucket has increased.  I think you did the correct thing by stating that you would call back.  I once had to call back 3 times to get my room changed.

If you are traveling from San Diego, I assume that you will be traveling on the Pacific Surfliner (not in a sleeper) to LA and then on the Coast Starlight to Seattle.  It sounds like a great trip.  I am sorry that I cannot give you more guidance as to the location of the cars.  I seem to recall traveling on 1430 and it being next to the dining car, but it has been a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question 1: Can I change cars by calling customer service?
Yes! Just call 1-800-USA-RAIL and ask them if there's any space in 1430. Unfortunately, some Amtrak agents really don't know what they're talking about, so if you get one that says that there is a fee, just call back and ask a different one.

Question 2: Should I even try because it's possible I may not get the dining time and entre I desire?
Honestly, you'll be fine no matter what. And they don't necessarily go through the sleepers one way or the other when taking reservations, so I don't think being in any particular sleeper gets you better chances at getting the time you want. And I would note that since the dining cars used on the Coast Starlight can seat more than 70 people at a time, even people in the last sleeper asked have extremely good odds at getting the reservation time they want.

Question 3: Is the agent correct that car #1430 is not always next to the dining car?
Nope. This is is another examples of Amtrak agents getting crap wrong. By definition, car 1430 is next to the dining car. 

There are some agents that will not switch your car and room and others will.  Those that will may try to charge you more if the bucket has increased.  I think you did the correct thing by stating that you would call back.  I once had to call back 3 times to get my room changed.
This is what is so frustrating about Amtrak. It's infuriating to me that so many Amtrak agents that are supposed to know this stuff end up trying to charge customers nonsense fees and/or give them nonsense info that can screw up someone's trip. :anger:

This is what is so frustrating about Amtrak. It's infuriating to me that so many Amtrak agents that are supposed to know this stuff end up trying to charge customers nonsense fees and/or give them nonsense info that can screw up someone's trip. :anger:
Agreed, I recently booked a large trip for next fall. I found that calling later in the evening got me to the LA res center and they are MUCH more willing to work with you for room and car placement. In fact we got a $188 refund on one of the legs that wasn’t shown in the online res system. Another option is to ask for a supervisor when you call. I’ve already found that sup’s can do a lot more than regular res agents, unless they’re willing to ask about possibilities. 

You can also try asking the sleeping car attendant to make a reservation for you when you get on, or shortly after. They can do that, although that requires the cooperation of the dining car lead. Staff attitude and diligence are highly variable on Amtrak, so don't count on anything. But it's worth a try.

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about tipping – you don't have to – but if you're thinking you might tip your sleeping car attendant, you might try giving it to him/her when you get on. I've done that and it seems to provide motivation to those who need it. If you're not planning on tipping – not everyone does – don't worry about it.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.  I'm going to stay in my car and roomettes.  I am a tipper and I've used the first-day-tipping policy on cruise ships and it works great.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.  I'm going to stay in my car and roomettes.  I am a tipper and I've used the first-day-tipping policy on cruise ships and it works great.
I would still recommend asking to be moved to car 1430, since it does make a big difference to not have to walk through multiple cars whenever you want to go to the diner or Sightseer Lounge. As was said, it probably won't help (or hurt) your chances at getting the seating times you want, but the convenience of being right next to the dining car and only one car away from the SSL is definitely worth it. 

Hmmm.  Good point cpotisch.  Maybe I'll try calling the call center this weekend and if it's not too painful with wait times and misinformed cs agents, I'll try to change.

A good LSA will sandbag some of the prime reservation times so they are available for folks in the last car he or she goes through, and maybe even for the Coaches.

When calling to request the change, use the word "modify".  And don't be surprised if 3 Roomettes in car 1430 (if available) will cost more.  I recall hearing here that different sleeping accommodations of the same type can have different upcharges (buckets) assigned to them on any given day.  But I don't know if that's really true or not.  

When calling to request the change, use the word "modify".  And don't be surprised if 3 Roomettes in car 1430 (if available) will cost more.  I recall hearing here that different sleeping accommodations of the same type can have different upcharges (buckets) assigned to them on any given day.  But I don't know if that's really true or not.  
This is not true. The price is for the accommodation type as a whole - not individual rooms.

Running out of specific entrees should really only be a factor on the second day. By then, you'll want to try something different, anyhow.

'Modifying' your reservation as I just did a few minutes ago will result in getting whatever the current 'going rate' is for a roomette (in my case).   Upon discovering the NOL-WAS roomette I booked for next spring had dropped $244, I called to modify my reservation.  I told her simply change room numbers, any car, whatever.  I ended up getting moved from roomette 2 in the 2011 car to roomette 1 in the same car!  Apparently, somebody that booked before I originally did cancelled their reservation.

This is not true. The price is for the accommodation type as a whole - not individual rooms.
Of course it's true.  Please slow down and read what I wrote.

I was referring to only the charge for the sleeper accommodation all by itself - not including the low bucket Coach fare (which is independent of the type of sleeping accommodation).   That's why I said "upcharges (buckets)".  And please don't come back with "You can't book a sleeper without paying the low bucket Coach fare".  Of course you can't - everybody knows that - I think.

Once again:  my reference was only to that part of a sleeper fare that can change from day to day (maybe even minute to minute) - the accommodation charge (or upcharge, as Ryan calls it).

Of course it's true.  Please slow down and read what I wrote.

I was referring to only the charge for the sleeper accommodation all by itself - not including the low bucket Coach fare (which is independent of the type of sleeping accommodation).   That's why I said "upcharges (buckets)".  And please don't come back with "You can't book a sleeper without paying the low bucket Coach fare".  Of course you can't - everybody knows that - I think.

Once again:  my reference was only to that part of a sleeper fare that can change from day to day (maybe even minute to minute) - the accommodation charge (or upcharge, as Ryan calls it).
Sorry, I'm confused. You said:

I recall hearing here that different sleeping accommodations of the same type can have different upcharges (buckets) assigned to them on any given day.  But I don't know if that's really true or not.
So what did you mean by "different sleeping accommodations of the same type"? And why are you coming back to me saying "Of course it's true" when you explicitly said in that first post that you "don't know if that's really true or not"? This is probably just me being braindead, but you lost me.  :mellow:

I am a tipper and I've used the first-day-tipping policy on cruise ships and it works great.
Personally, I would not tip on the first day.

I once boarded the Empire Builder in Chicago. Shortly after departure, the SCA came by to introduce himself.the next time I saw him was 2 1/2 days later outside the car on the platform in Portland “waiting for his tip”! (We even had to set the beds ourself both nights and morning!)

If we tipped on the first day, do you think he would have given it back? :huh:

Personally, I would not tip on the first day.

I once boarded the Empire Builder in Chicago. Shortly after departure, the SCA came by to introduce himself.the next time I saw him was 2 1/2 days later outside the car on the platform in Portland “waiting for his tip”! (We even had to set the beds ourself both nights and morning!)

If we tipped on the first day, do you think he would have given it back? :huh:
I understand it's not for everybody.  I don't do it all the time.   The few times I have done it, it worked out well for me.

If you pay at the end, it's a tip; if you pay at the start it's a bribe with no assurance you'll get anything for it.
Agreed. I think it's best to just make it clear right off the bat that you are a friendly and reasonable person who will appreciate and is deserving of good service, but wait 'till the end to tip. Otherwise, what is the real incentive to provide good service?

Just called Amtrak.  Only had to wait for an agent for a few minutes.  When I explain I wanted to change from car 1433 to something closer to the diner, she replied, "I'll be happy to help you with that request."  Wow, much different from my 27 minutes failed attempt a few days ago.

Within three minutes she was finished and I'm now in car 1431 with three roomettes on the upper level.

Just called Amtrak.  Only had to wait for an agent for a few minutes.  When I explain I wanted to change from car 1433 to something closer to the diner, she replied, "I'll be happy to help you with that request."  Wow, much different from my 27 minutes failed attempt a few days ago.

Within three minutes she was finished and I'm now in car 1431 with three roomettes on the upper level.
Nice! I take it there was no space in 1430, then?

lower level only in 1430.
I honestly really like the lower level. The ride is a bit smoother; you're right next to the baggage area which is really convenient since there's very little space in the roomette; and you're very close to the bathrooms and shower, which is really nice. Just my opinion.

The old saying, watch what you ask for sometimes applys, although, I don't think there's much to worry about when it comes to the dinning car and schedule. Since on a train you have nothing but time and unless you are the type that has to be first in line, you'll be fine. As for walking through a few cars, if I were 16/19 yrs. old I'd be looking forward  to it and even at 80 it doesn't bother me. But hey, to each his own, have a great trip on the train and enjoy everything Seattle has to offer.

Back