Advice for traveling on the CA Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago with my wife and 15 month old daugh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All, 

I'll be traveling on the CA Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago with my wife and 15 month daughter on 1/1/19.  We've reserved a Superliner Bedroom for the trip.  This is our first time riding on Amtrak and would love any advice that will make the trip easier.  Our daughter is a good sleeper and usually only wakes up if she's teething or feeling sick.  Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tazewell!  Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited!

I hope others will post advice on traveling with a 15-month old.  Here's a couple tips for traveling in a Bedroom:

There is not much luggage storage space in the Bedroom, but there is a luggage storage rack downstairs.  Plan on having a bag with what you will need in the room, and going downstairs from time to time to retrieve what you need from your luggage.  There are a few places to put luggage in the Bedroom, and it has a tiny "closet" where you can store a couple jackets and maybe a change of clothes or two.

Also, I do not use the shower in the Bedroom. Not only is it somewhat cramped, but showering gets your toilet all wet.  Both my wife and I prefer to use the shower downstairs.

There is a section of this forum for Trip Reports, and it's a great source of information.  Also, we'd love it if you would post a report after your trip!  

Welcome Tazewell,

I travel often in Superliner bedrooms.  I find using the shower in the bedroom more convenient that going downstairs.  Because the entire shower/toilet room gets wet, I am prepared to dry the room after my shower is complete.

I cannot comment on a trip with a 15 month old, but I will mention that I think that the California Zephyr route is extremely scenic (until Denver).  I did that route 8 years ago in December and loved seeing all the snow (which was a big treat for this lifelong Floridian).

Here are a few tips:

• You will probably be spending most of your time in the Sightseer Lounge car, which has huge panoramic windows for taking in the views. It is open to all passengers round the clock, and on scenic routes like the CZ, it can get absolutely packed. Sometimes people have issues with other passengers in the SSL "reserving " seats they are not using, which is not allowed. So if you see an open seat with nobody in it, that seat is open and no-one can refuse you the right to sit there. So if the car is packed and you see an open seat in the SSL, and somebody won't let you sit, let a crew member know and have them take care of that. Now I would say that there are certain exceptions to this, like if someone is running to the bathroom and they'll only be away from their seat for a few minutes, I think that someone to hold onto that seat for them. In those cases I usually either wait a few minutes to see if anyone is actually coming, and if no one does I sit down, or I just there right off the bat and tell the person "reserving" the seat that I'll stand up if they do show up. But yeah, if you have a real issue, let the crew know and I'm sure they'll be happy to help.
  • I (and I think most other members here) recommend tipping your Sleeping Car Attendant and the diner staff. We usually tip the SCA a baseline $5 per person per night for average service, but will tip as little as $0 if he/she is impossible to find, rude, unhelpful, won't do basic duties, etc, and may tip as much as $15 per person per night if the person is extremely friendly, easy to find, or just goes above and beyond at their job and roles. But $5 is my standard.
  • The California Zephyr does not officially offer WiFi (though some cars are unofficially fitted with MiFis), and you probably won't have cellular service for a large portion of the trip, so make sure to download plenty of movies and/or TV shows, and bring a book or two as well. It's a 52 hour ride, and while the scenery will be amazing and can keep you occupied for A WHILE, the train ride can get a bit boring without any personal entertainment.
Have a great trip!

Scenery will be great for you adults, not so much for the little one. Here's some advice from our past trips (mainly longhaul air) with a toddler:

Buy a number of inexpensive toys--small ones are obviously best--and dole them out slowly so that there is a novelty factor. (Dollar stores are great for this!) Likewise, have a large supply of small snacks, perhaps indulging your child with things that ordinarily you would limit at home (like cookies, candy, etc.)   The idea is, every waking hour should feature some new and fun things for her. Of course, some of her tried and true toys should make the trip, too. 

I would not recommend the Sightseer Lounge, though. She won't want to sit still there, and corralling her against her will may be a problem. I'd use the bedroom as your play area, and the hallway outside the bedroom is good for walks back and forth (and silly races, if she likes that sort of thing).  Be sure to carry her, though, when you are transiting between cars--too much of a chance of a fall or hand pinch there. In the bedroom you have a large window for your own viewing pleasure, and if you leave the door open, you can see out the other side too.  Not quite as good as the Lounge, but a better compromise. You can call her attention to interesting things (to her) outside the window--"Look, some cows!" "Look, a big truck!" 

Bring a small blanket from home that she uses; it will smell 'right' to her and be a comfort. And don't forget her favorite stuffed 'lovey,' for sure!  Download some of her favorite children's videos on a tablet or smartphone (and have some over-the-ear headphones for her so the adults don't go mad on the tenth running of Curious George!)

Dining in the dining car is a good adventure, and luckily there is nothing on the table that can't be safely grabbed and handled by a small person. While ordinarily people are seated  four to a table, I'm guessing that they may well let the three of you have your own table.  Here's what I would do: On your first trip to the dining car, ask the lead dining attendant these two questions: "I know that seating is four to a table, but with a toddler here who doesn't recognize personal boundaries always, I'm afraid the other guest might have a difficult meal. Would it be possible to get a table just for us three? And my next question is, do you guys pool tips here in the dining car?"  That couples your request for a variance in policy with a hint that you'll be tipping for good service.  There are supposed to be booster seats available, but that's been a bit hit or miss lately. I'd ask your sleeping car attendant to check on that for you before the first meal, so that if they aren't available, you can consider the option to have your meals in your own bedroom instead. That is a good option anyway if mealtime happens to coincide with a time that your toddler is not in the mood to sit quietly at the table.  Oh, and speaking of amusing a little one while you wait for food to arrive, Grandma here recommends having a container of multi-colored Trix cereal to play with and to eat while waiting. 

If you're in the middle of potty training, this might be a good time and place to postpone it. Train bathrooms are strange and maybe scary...

Regarding sleeping: Naps and ad hoc sleeping will work fine on the couch area of your bedroom, but for evening sleeping, the bottom bunk is generously sized for an adult and a little person.  Movement on the train can keep us awake, but most toddlers fall asleep in the car as soon as you drive off if they're tired--I expect the train will be the same. 

Actually, now that I think about it, traveling with a toddler isn't so different from everyday life with a toddler, and it's probably easier than traveling with a slightly older child who might be bored or whiny.

Let us know how it goes!

Scenery will be great for you adults, not so much for the little one. Here's some advice from our past trips (mainly longhaul air) with a toddler:
I personally think that little kids can appreciate amazing scenery like that of the CZ...to an extent. Though I don't think all the rivers and mountains in the world could at all entertain a 15 month old for 52 hours. Of course a 15 month old can't really read a book or enjoy a movie either, so I guess my suggestions don't really apply on that front. :wacko:

I think a 15 month certainly enjoys watching a movie or parts of movies (animated types). My 9 month old granddaughter loves them.

I agree with Flitcraft post 6 above. I also like to utilize the shower in the bedroom. Easy to dry it off with a towel when done. Enjoy the trip.

Buy a number of inexpensive toys--small ones are obviously best--and dole them out slowly so that there is a novelty factor. (Dollar stores are great for this!) Likewise, have a large supply of small snacks, perhaps indulging your child with things that ordinarily you would limit at home (like cookies, candy, etc.)   The idea is, every waking hour should feature some new and fun things for her. Of course, some of her tried and true toys should make the trip, too. 

I would not recommend the Sightseer Lounge, though. She won't want to sit still there, and corralling her against her will may be a problem. I'd use the bedroom as your play area, and the hallway outside the bedroom is good for walks back and forth (and silly races, if she likes that sort of thing).  Be sure to carry her, though, when you are transiting between cars--too much of a chance of a fall or hand pinch there. In the bedroom you have a large window for your own viewing pleasure, and if you leave the door open, you can see out the other side too.  Not quite as good as the Lounge, but a better compromise. You can call her attention to interesting things (to her) outside the window--"Look, some cows!" "Look, a big truck!" 

Bring a small blanket from home that she uses; it will smell 'right' to her and be a comfort. And don't forget her favorite stuffed 'lovey,' for sure!  Download some of her favorite children's videos on a tablet or smartphone (and have some over-the-ear headphones for her so the adults don't go mad on the tenth running of Curious George!)

Dining in the dining car is a good adventure, and luckily there is nothing on the table that can't be safely grabbed and handled by a small person. While ordinarily people are seated  four to a table, I'm guessing that they may well let the three of you have your own table.  Here's what I would do: On your first trip to the dining car, ask the lead dining attendant these two questions: "I know that seating is four to a table, but with a toddler here who doesn't recognize personal boundaries always, I'm afraid the other guest might have a difficult meal. Would it be possible to get a table just for us three? And my next question is, do you guys pool tips here in the dining car?"  That couples your request for a variance in policy with a hint that you'll be tipping for good service.  There are supposed to be booster seats available, but that's been a bit hit or miss lately. I'd ask your sleeping car attendant to check on that for you before the first meal, so that if they aren't available, you can consider the option to have your meals in your own bedroom instead. That is a good option anyway if mealtime happens to coincide with a time that your toddler is not in the mood to sit quietly at the table.  Oh, and speaking of amusing a little one while you wait for food to arrive, Grandma here recommends having a container of multi-colored Trix cereal to play with and to eat while waiting. 

If you're in the middle of potty training, this might be a good time and place to postpone it. Train bathrooms are strange and maybe scary...

Regarding sleeping: Naps and ad hoc sleeping will work fine on the couch area of your bedroom, but for evening sleeping, the bottom bunk is generously sized for an adult and a little person.  Movement on the train can keep us awake, but most toddlers fall asleep in the car as soon as you drive off if they're tired--I expect the train will be the same. 

Actually, now that I think about it, traveling with a toddler isn't so different from everyday life with a toddler, and it's probably easier than traveling with a slightly older child who might be bored or whiny.

Let us know how it goes!
Thanks for a lot of good ideas!  I've taken the Empire Builder MSP to SEA and back with wife and 18-month daughter, a few more trips with the kids from 2y to 4y to NYP and WAS.

Now my daughter has taken her daughter (then 7mo))  and husband  round-trip MSP-SEA,  and MSP-CHI ( with 4-6 year old cousins and their parents ) when the kid as about 15months. Very few problems. 

A very few comments.

Between cars, you are so right, carry the child and use and mention the safety-striped grab irons. The noise and moving deck plate are not for beginning toddlers to try, especially when they can't reach the safety hand-holds. Not even for 6-year-olds, unless they can hold the grab-irons, or will hold parent's hand.

Bring familiar or new age-appropriate toys and familiar  blankie or teddy bear or whatever, for sure. But me and my daughter (both when she was little and now) and son-in-law have found that -- TOTALLY depending on the child's personality -- the child might love looking out the window for hours, or just want to cuddle -- might like seeing (not really meeting) strangers in the Sightseer Lounge. Or might try climbing onto the dining car table while looking out the window at the scenery. Whatever toddlers do. 

"Actually, now that I think about it, traveling with a toddler isn't so different from everyday life with a toddler, and it's probably easier than traveling with a slightly older child who might be bored or whiny."   

Yup, agree.

Thanks again

This young fellow is probably older than your child but, at some point kids are fascinated by train travel. This video is from the California Zephyr #5 (westbound Chicago to Emeryville) July 2017...

Click to view on Flickr

This young fellow is probably older than your child but, at some point kids are fascinated by train travel. This video is from the California Zephyr #5 (westbound Chicago to Emeryville) July 2017...

Click to view on Flickr

Hi John, Thanks for posting the pics! We're excited to see the country in a different mode of transportation. Does Amtrak provide a schedule where passengers can exit the train for fresh air at the different stations?

Hi John, Thanks for posting the pics! We're excited to see the country in a different mode of transportation. Does Amtrak provide a schedule where passengers can exit the train for fresh air at the different stations?
Fresh air stops will occur at some stations where crew changes and servicing of the train takes place. Denver is one such stop which "usually" has enough time to step off the train (but NOT wander away). These stops will be announced by the conductor. This is always at the discretion of the conductor - If the train is behind schedule, these longer stops may be cut short. There is no hard and fast rule and I'm sure others will chime in on this.

Fresh air stops will occur at some stations where crew changes and servicing of the train takes place. Denver is one such stop which "usually" has enough time to step off the train (but NOT wander away). These stops will be announced by the conductor. This is always at the discretion of the conductor - If the train is behind schedule, these longer stops may be cut short. There is no hard and fast rule and I'm sure others will chime in on this.
Thanks for the heads up!

According to this thread, these are the fresh air/smoke stops on the CZ:

• Sacramento, CA
  • Reno, NV
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Grand Junction, CO
  • Glenwood Springs, CO
  • Fraser-Winter Park, CO
  • Denver, CO
  • Omaha, NE
  • Ottumwa, IA
  • Galesburg, IL

According to this thread, these are the fresh air/smoke stops on the CZ:

• Sacramento, CA
  • Reno, NV
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Grand Junction, CO
  • Glenwood Springs, CO
  • Fraser-Winter Park, CO
  • Denver, CO
  • Omaha, NE
  • Ottumwa, IA
  • Galesburg, IL
thank you! this is very helpful to know when we can get our little out for a few minutes of fresh air.

Let us know how it goes!
Thank you! This is so very helpful.

Back