Possible Great Lakes Central Railroad Bi-Level Trainsets For Surfliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the equipment they are referring to are a handful of former Metra gallery cars.
Correct, GLC has 2 different Gallery car sets... not sure which LOSSAN is considering leasing; one set was updated for use as commuter cars here in SE Michigan, the other set had been updated yet, and GLC was looking to sell them. My guess is that it's the latter set LOSSAN is getting.

Peter

Correct, GLC has 2 different Gallery car sets... not sure which LOSSAN is considering leasing; one set was updated for use as commuter cars here in SE Michigan, the other set had been updated yet, and GLC was looking to sell them. My guess is that it's the latter set LOSSAN is getting.
Peter
I actually think the opposite. Michigan has been trying to lease the updated cars to make some money while they try to figure out what to do with the Chicago to Ann Arbor line. My guess is they finally found a taker.

Peter
I actually think the opposite. Michigan has been trying to lease the updated cars to make some money while they try to figure out what to do with the Chicago to Ann Arbor line. My guess is they finally found a taker.
MDOT doesn't really have much say in what happens to the cars really; they're owned by GLC... they may be able to say that they have to be kept in-state due to them possibly helping fund the upgrades (I don't have the paperwork here in front of me that says who paid for the updates).

I do know that the non-updated cars were listed for sale on one of the RR Car sale websites (Sterling I think...) Those cars are still at GLC, so presumably haven't been sold; it would make sense that GLC is still trying to get rid of them.

There also isn't much figuring out what needs to be done for the Michigan Line. MDOT is actively updating a the line, installing more PTC, replacing track, etc. Stations from Ann Arbor to Detroit are in various stages of being updated, if needed. I believe the big hold up right now is just the Ann Arbor station.

peter

I hope LOSSAN/Amtrak at least updates the seats on these trains and NOT keep them in commuter configuration. I'll take a Horizon car before taking a train with the uncomfortable seats they have on Metrolink.

Those gallery cars were never intended for the Wolverine service, they were to be used for an Ann Arbor based commuter service. California turned some former NJ Transit commuter cars into intercity cars with interior updates, so I assume a similar rehab is planned for these gallery cars. 

Those gallery cars were never intended for the Wolverine service, they were to be used for an Ann Arbor based commuter service. California turned some former NJ Transit commuter cars into intercity cars with interior updates, so I assume a similar rehab is planned for these gallery cars. 
I'm hoping if it goes through, the cars will be spending some time at BeachGrove.

Back